Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail-Smith to Charlton...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
He wouldn't even have to move, he could just get one of those buses they do on a matchday. They still do those right?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Talk about highs and lows. A couple of weeks ago, off the back of a 101 point title winning season, rumours about signing the likes of CMS and Michael Turner, hopes of doing a Norwich/Stains with back to back promotions... to this afternoon where a meeting is being hastily arranged to initiate setting up a Supporters Trust to pick up the pieces if/when the club goes under. What changed? One bloke, whose name/identity no-one even knows, put his wallet away. That's increasingly the reality of football clubs as rich men's playthings :(

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Talk about highs and lows. A couple of weeks ago, off the back of a 101 point title winning season, rumours about signing the likes of CMS and Michael Turner, hopes of doing a Norwich/Stains with back to back promotions... to this afternoon where a meeting is being hastily arranged to initiate setting up a Supporters Trust to pick up the pieces if/when the club goes under. What changed? One bloke, whose name/identity no-one even knows, put his wallet away. That's increasingly the reality of football clubs as rich men's playthings :(
So just as things are looking up for Charlton, he/she pulls the plug. I don't get it, what happened?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
He wouldn't even have to move, he could just get one of those buses they do on a matchday. They still do those right?

Yep, picks up from Benfield Valley if you're interested, we've been doing them since the mid 80s, other clubs' fans only seemed to notice when fans' favourite Paul Scally started whining about it in the media.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
So just as things are looking up for Charlton, he/she pulls the plug. I don't get it, what happened?

The backer (widely rumoured to be secretive property tycoon Kevin Cash, but we don't know for sure) had apparently been lead to believe that we would break even in the championship. When he realised that would not be the case, and that we'd need 5m for squad strengthening to be competitive, he did a runner. Also dark rumours that one of our directors was using money meant for Charlton to pay off his other companies' debts, as a result of which our bills (including the taxman) haven't been paid for months. The backer's representative on the board quit on June 22nd, as did the guy who brokered the takeover, so that seems to be the day the money man walked. Surprised the media have yet to pick up on any of this, but I guess they only care about the Premier League these days.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The backer (widely rumoured to be secretive property tycoon Kevin Cash, but we don't know for sure) had apparently been lead to believe that we would break even in the championship. When he realised that would not be the case, and that we'd need 5m for squad strengthening to be competitive, he did a runner. Also dark rumours that one of our directors was using money meant for Charlton to pay off his other companies' debts, as a result of which our bills (including the taxman) haven't been paid for months. The backer's representative on the board quit on June 22nd, as did the guy who brokered the takeover, so that seems to be the day the money man walked. Surprised the media have yet to pick up on any of this, but I guess they only care about the Premier League these days.

Is the A word a possibility? That's awful news for Charlton.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
There seems to be much speculation and little fact. Have the board issued a statement yet?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Is the A word a possibility? That's awful news for Charlton.

Going into administration before the season even begins is possible. New funding is desperately being sought out (it's believed we approached that Pozzo bloke but the way the numbers stacked up Watford was a far better proposition for him) but we're not holding our breath. We seemingly have £2m-ish offers on the table for our two best players (Solly to West Ham, Kermorgant to Celtic) and we're hoping the hole in our finances isn't so big that money wouldn't at least buy us time. One thing is certain, the 9-1 Boylesports offer on us being relegated is very good value. I don't feel guilty about having just put £50 of it, I may as well take whatever I can from this situation...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
To be honest I don't think many of us would complain if we accepted a £2.5m bid.

I love CMS, he's a good player, but it's pretty clear he's not best suited for our style of play.
I'd complain.

My main moan against Gus, is he never changed the style fo play last year. This year I think he will.

Football is about scoring goals. You adjust your play to compliment your goalscorers.

Next season we will be playing to CMS strengths, then £3million will look like chicken feed........

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Well thats shit to hear, hopefully it all gets sorted out come beginning of the season.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Going into administration before the season even begins is possible. New funding is desperately being sought out (it's believed we approached that Pozzo bloke but the way the numbers stacked up Watford was a far better proposition for him) but we're not holding our breath. We seemingly have £2m-ish offers on the table for our two best players (Solly to West Ham, Kermorgant to Celtic) and we're hoping the hole in our finances isn't so big that money wouldn't at least buy us time. One thing is certain, the 9-1 Boylesports offer on us being relegated is very good value. I don't feel guilty about having just put £50 of it, I may as well take whatever I can from this situation...

Hate to see clubs get into financial trouble. Not the fans fault. But Charlton fans took the **** out of Palace when we got into trouble. Charlton away is just another game IMO. Nothing special about it like Brighton or Millwall.

A club who laughed at us for us having a supporters trust. Now they are rushing to get one.

Good luck Charlton, but WHO THE **** IS LAUGHING NOW.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
There seems to be much speculation and little fact. Have the board issued a statement yet?

The Chairman says everything's fine, but no-one's buying it. The club only revealed the backer's representative had quit the board (ten days after it happened) as a fan had found out from Companies House. A lot of people tried to pass the rumours off as scaremongering but that changed around 6pm yesterday when a guy called Rick Everitt posted that he would be delighted if we start and end the season with the current manager and squad and finish 21st "but this will require funding that we don't have". Rick is the Head of Club Development at Charlton, in charge of ticket prices, dealing with supporters groups, etc. He is also the guy behind the whole Back To The Valley campaign (the editor of Voice of the Valley fanzine). The fact that he as a full time senior club executive has gone on the record with this means it's not just rumours and we are genuinely in the shit.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
The Chairman says everything's fine, but no-one's buying it. The club only revealed the backer's representative had quit the board (ten days after it happened) as a fan had found out from Companies House. A lot of people tried to pass the rumours off as scaremongering but that changed around 6pm yesterday when a guy called Rick Everitt posted that he would be delighted if we start and end the season with the current manager and squad and finish 21st "but this will require funding that we don't have". Rick is the Head of Club Development at Charlton, in charge of ticket prices, dealing with supporters groups, etc. He is also the guy behind the whole Back To The Valley campaign (the editor of Voice of the Valley fanzine). The fact that he as a full time senior club executive has gone on the record with this means it's not just rumours and we are genuinely in the shit.

Come on. You signed a ridiculous amount of players last season. You have a higher wage bill than us yet the fans think the club is being run correctly.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011

Hate to see clubs get into financial trouble. Not the fans fault. But Charlton fans took the **** out of Palace when we got into trouble. Charlton away is just another game IMO. Nothing special about it like Brighton or Millwall.

A club who laughed at us for us having a supporters trust. Now they are rushing to get one.

Good luck Charlton, but WHO THE **** IS LAUGHING NOW.

You as you f***ed over everyone so you really shouldnt be laughing more hanging your heads in shame

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And how did you come to that conclusion?

Why don't you let the grown-ups talk - and just worry about how on earth you're going to STAY in the Championship?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Thank you portslade (and others). No matter how bad things get from here we can take heart from the fact it won't ever get as bad as the mid to late eighties when we had to play our home games on a rundown piece of waste ground attached to a South London Sainsbury's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here