Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corners

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
We don't seem to be able to take decent advantage of corners, and being an old git I hate the short ones. Give me a vicious inswinger every time.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
We can't seem to get any corner right at the moment, Liverpool was just awful and tonight wasn't much better

I was just about to say the same thing.

Especially as when we were only playing one up front against Liverpool, a lot of the time we went forward we seemed content just to win corners to start with. Of the eight corners we won against Liverpool, I reckon only half ended up with a cross getting into the box, and I can't remember us getting on the end of any of them.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Look at the height of our team. Is there really much point lobbing every corner into the box? You can see why Gus still wanted a striker with some aerial presence. Barcelona take all their corners short I think, so they can work....

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
We don't seem to be able to take decent advantage of corners, and being an old git I hate the short ones. Give me a vicious inswinger every time.

I agree, ut the reason we do not ever get anywhere from corners is because we aint the biggest side, therefore short corners are the only option IMO. We need to be a little more innovative though. In Lualua we have someone who can have a crack from distance, so it needs to be worked to him. Anything can happen with him shooting through a crowded box. Far better than crossing with the height of our team.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The best direct corners I have seen us take since Gus took over were from Gary Dicker at Watford last season in the absence of Bennett, but I don't think we've given them to him since...

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Look at the height of our team. Is there really much point lobbing every corner into the box? You can see why Gus still wanted a striker with some aerial presence. Barcelona take all their corners short I think, so they can work....

We're not quite Barcelona though just yet, its so annoying how many corners we waste.....if you can whip in a good corner with pace on it instead of just floating one into the box then the lack of height is not such an issue. Harley looked to be able to do that. Short corners work if u take them quickly, change the angle and then put a good ball in the box.....trouble is we never get to that point!!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Statistically, lobbing the ball into the box straight from a corner in football rarely yields a goal. I'm not surprised to see the team trying to be a bit clever at corners, not that it's working.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We're not quite Barcelona though just yet, its so annoying how many corners we waste.....if you can whip in a good corner with pace on it instead of just floating one into the box then the lack of height is not such an issue. Harley looked to be able to do that. Short corners work if u take them quickly, change the angle and then put a good ball in the box.....trouble is we never get to that point!!!

Agreed we're not Barcelona - but may as well try to be inventive. Look at the clever free kick Dicker put in for CMS 2nd half... Just didn't quite drop quick enough. if a short corner goes wrong, people put 2 and 2 together to make 5 and assume we'd have scored from a hopeful punt into the box when in reality that's pretty unlikely given our lack of aerial power.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Agreed we're not Barcelona - but may as well try to be inventive. Look at the clever free kick Dicker put in for CMS 2nd half... Just didn't quite drop quick enough. if a short corner goes wrong, people put 2 and 2 together to make 5 and assume we'd have scored from a hopeful punt into the box when in reality that's pretty unlikely given our lack of aerial power.

I do agree short corners can work well and would probably be our best chance but 9 times out of ten the player who receives the short pass goes on to lose the ball!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here