Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Copying posts from Message Boards in the Press...

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Interesting situation has arisen from another of the forums that we post on....

A little bit of agro has arisen as something that someone has posted in relation to the recent cheating at the Goodwood Revival has made it word for word into a well know editorial in a well know Motorsport glossy....

I doubt it will ever get anywhere other than the slanging match its become - but often stuff thats on here appears in the Argus or other press...so whats the situation?

Whats the law - is there one yet? Should you have to quote someone? Because its posted on the internet under an alias, is it free game?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
If they lift it from a public forum and attribute it then there is no problem.

The issue comes where they use it in an article unattributed. The Argus would probably say something like 'sources close to the club' :D

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There bloody is. I don't want what I say on NSC quoted elsewhere without my permission.

Bozza, who owns the copyright to what we all say on here? Is it you?

Surely though you need to stand by what you post on a message board

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
There bloody is. I don't want what I say on NSC quoted elsewhere without my permission.

Bozza, who owns the copyright to what we all say on here? Is it you?

sorry, this is a public forum which anybody can read so putting into print providing it is as and under the name posted does not cause issues. It's like making comments at a public meeting

Surely though you need to stand by what you post on a message board

The problem arises when what you've said gets lifted out of context and then gets twisted to suit someone else's agenda.

The example that springs to my mind is a Lib Dem election leaflet that was pushed through letterboxes during the LDC elections earlier this year. According to the Lib Dems, I support the Newhaven incinerator. I don't. What I said on NSC (a year earlier) was that incineration is better than new landfill. That's not the same as backing the current proposal for Newhaven.

The Argus have occasionally quoted stuff I've posted on NSC about Falmer - but in every instance the journalist who has written the story has asked if I'm happy for that quote to be used.

As for the BBC ... I've been told by the broadcaster in question to loosen up. "It was only a bit of banter!" That's OK then. I guess BBC listeners have no difficulty recognising a bit of banter.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The recent furore over David Gold looks like a classic example of this.

I am absolutely certain that the Argus articles were lifted directly from this site and just embellished to make them look like journalism.

Someone here thought they saw a car - we all got carried away with the sort of "what if" fancies that sites lke this are designed for - the Argus took it as factual and Dick Knight ends up having to issue a public denial:D

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would have thought the David Gol dthing came from the interview he gave to the BBC ( SCR). One assumes the Argus gives more credence to BBC interviews that a group of disparate views on here.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
One of the urbex sites I use has a thing where most members send an invoice for £400 for copyright fees to the paper(s) in question. Some have been paid but usually for when photos are stolen, not just text...

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I would have thought the David Gol dthing came from the interview he gave to the BBC ( SCR). One assumes the Argus gives more credence to BBC interviews that a group of disparate views on here.

I dont believe there was anything on the scr interview about being approached to invest in the albion by 'sources close to the club'. That was mentioned on here and can also be construed by your post that you and Harty have people you speak to and that is where you got the Gold story from.

As I've said before, people on here have said they've spoken to Gold or people close to him about whether he would invest in us and have always received 'favourable' replies. That may be as close as 'sources close to the club' is in reality. It could also be John Catt as he is VERY close to the club.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
The recent furore over David Gold looks like a classic example of this.

I am absolutely certain that the Argus articles were lifted directly from this site and just embellished to make them look like journalism.

Someone here thought they saw a car - we all got carried away with the sort of "what if" fancies that sites lke this are designed for - the Argus took it as factual and Dick Knight ends up having to issue a public denial:D

I was thinking exactly the same tbh!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There is no copyright on 'ideas' as such, certainly posted on here, so most of it is fair game. However, if as a journalist the only good ideas you ever had were nicked off here, you should go and do something else.

Most of the time it's no big deal if a bit shameless, and people should take it as the 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery' etc. I can immediately see from the examples Lord B gave that it could be a bit more serious, and then it's just about the hack in question acting responsibly. Some do, some don't as in anything in life.

There is obviously a difference between 'ideas' and actual quotes being reused without permission. But my hunch there would be, despire COPB's concern, that you wouldn't have much of a legal leg to stand on. You've put it on a public message board, it's out there in the public domain. If the Argus used it, tough. If you were worried about that possibility, don't post it. Be interested to hear a definitive view on that from the mods, though.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Sheff Wed are trying to sue some of their fans for what is posted on a fans forum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here