Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coppell announced as new Reading manager ***Discuss it here***

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Reading to announce new manager at 10:30 *Discuss it here*

An attempt to try and keep this morning's chat to the one thread...

I'll kick off:

Assuming it is Coppell, would it not be the done thing for the Albion to announce he had left employment of the club before Reading unveil him?

Or, as part of the compensation arrangement do Reading get to announce it as though it should be a big surprise to everyone?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
is it on sky sports news does anyone know?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I don't know what normally happens but i'd have thought Reading would announce and then we do the' we regret that he has left but we're gonna get on with it' stuff.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
There is still time for the BHA website to announce that Coppell is going, if that's what he wants to do. I know what you all say about your official site i.e. 10/10/03 NEWSFLASH - WHEEL INVENTED!

I think that in most cases, you hear from the "receiving" club first, do you not?

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
FROM THE ARGUS T:

* It's all over - Coppell will unveiled this morning
* Albion to receive £230,000 compensation (great bit of business by DK) - Harty was right in his column last night - Coppell was disappointed DK was more interested in the compensation level than in keeping him - now we know why!
* Coppell only has a contract with Reading until END OF NEXT SEASON!
* Search on for successor, Dowie and Cotteril thought to be front runners.

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Just in case anyone doubted that the Press Conference is for something other than a manager (I know it was obvious, but stranger things have happened).

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~435627,00.html

Reading Football Club has announced that a press conference to appoint the Club's new manager will take place at 10.30am at Madejski Stadium this morning (Thursday).
The entire press conference will be broadcast live on Reading World, and make sure you keep visiting readingfc.co.uk for full coverage of events as they unfold throughout the day!

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
GUNTER said:

* Coppell only has a contract with Reading until END OF NEXT SEASON!

2 year contract then? That's hardly that short, I think... Not a clue whether Coppell wanted it shorter, or RFC did. Perhaps that was part of the problem in negotiations earlier.

Besides, I think football contracts don't mean anything anyway in terms of their length. As we found out with Mr Pardew leaving 3 months into a 3 year contract.

Last edited:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Broadcast live on Reading World.

If we were doing it it wouldn't be in seagulls world I bet.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
braders7 said:
is it on sky sports news does anyone know?

Sky Sports News have a headline running at present

Reading to announce Steve Coppell as manager at Press conference 10.30am

I'll let you know if is live. I'll find something to throw at the tv in the meantime

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Wilts said:
2 year contract then? That's hardly that short, I think... Not a clue whether Coppell wanted it shorter, or RFC did. Perhaps that was part of the problem in negotiations earlier.

Besides, I think football contracts don't mean anything anyway in terms of their length. As we found out with Mr Pardew leaving 3 months into a 3 year contract.

Fair point, but it is in fact, only a year and a half contract. This would lead me to think that Coppell STILL thinks he may get a better offer at the end of it!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Just another little aside Pardew isn't taking over West Ham for their match against Burnley but will delay it until their Forest game

Why, I don't know? (Sky Sports News)

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
GUNTER said:
Fair point, but it is in fact, only a year and a half contract. This would lead me to think that Coppell STILL thinks he may get a better offer at the end of it!

I'm really not sure to be honest with you. One point says that Coppell felt that the job may put him in an insecure position if he didn't have any success after two years, so he wanted to leave his options open. The other side of the coin says Madejski wanted to avoid long-term contracts having had 2 managers break their clauses after he budgeted for long-term stability, which was an almighty failure.

Your guess is as good as mine!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Shorter the contract length the less compensation to pay.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Yorkie said:
Just another little aside Pardew isn't taking over West Ham for their match against Burnley but will delay it until their Forest game

Why, I don't know? (Sky Sports News)

The reason for that is that he will only have been at the club one day when they play Burnley and they don't feel that will be fair to him in preparation for the match which is fair enough.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Go to the official website.
The three people in the top right hand corner are Simon Rodger, Steve'Wanker'Coppell and Danny Cullip.

Simon Rodger is out for the season and Coppell is leaving. Question is, when will that be updated?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Go to the official website.
The three people in the top right hand corner are Simon Rodger, Steve'Wanker'Coppell and Danny Cullip.

Simon Rodger is out for the season and Coppell is leaving. Question is, when will that be updated?

To be fair when Bobby left it was changed within 24 hours

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here