Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cop shows

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
They don't make 'em like they used to. A few years ago while living in the States I broke my leg and for a few weeks all I could do was watch daytime telly. Found a channel with wall to wall cop shows including Banacek, McMillan and Wife, Columbo, Mike Hammer, The Equalizer and Quincy. Full of cliche, tired formula and extremely sexist, but strangely entertaining.

What others did you like from that era?

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Barnet Seagull said:
quincy rules, it's like a 70's CSI.

He always 'had a hunch', flew off the handle very quickly, argued with the boss and had some young bird on his arm in every episode. It was a formula that worked! Is Jack Klugman still with us?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Colombo rules. And TJ Hooker was always worth watching for a quick teenage pant over Heather Locklear.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Columbo is THE MAN!!! Befriends the murderer and starts to annoys the crap out of em!!

:clap2:

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I always loved Chips.

Quincy was good but Klugman's "whaddya mean" eyebrows-acting during the inevitable courtroom denoument got right on my tits.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Yep definately Chips for me. It's still on Bravo sometimes.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Old cop shows were the best coz they're totally non-pc! Which obviously is a reflection of the times they were made.

"Don't try and run your numbers on me, you slag!"

"If you weren't who you are I'd kick your arse up to your shoulder blades!"

From the best of them all, The Sweeney.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Ironside, now there was a show! Remember watching a classic episode (think it might have been a TV movie version) about the dangers of smoking pot, the villains were a bunch of "crazy" hippies who had brain-washed a couple of innocent girls. So bad it was good.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Cop shows take all forms:

1. They always get their man
2. The payoff line is teeth grating
3. They always argue with their boss who wants them off the case and doing traffic
4. If they're driving, those empty cardboard boxes have seconds to live. And mind that f***ing pram...

Quincy : Investigator who is old, pig ugly and somehow always gets the girl. Although she often looks like a remedial. He looks like the sort of bloke who, when he was born, the doctors slapped his mother.

Starsky & Hutch : Shameful Val Doonican cardigans. Always throwing their half-eaten burgers out of the window when the call comes of a '402 Baker Tosser on the corner of 5th and Empty.'

Hart to Hart: OGH skins another full-back before murdering the small man getting in the way of him building a lucrative shopping mall.

Columbo : Another short pig ugly bloke, who at the start of the episode seems to know f*** all about anything. "really, sir, I didn't know dat. Oh, just one more t'ing, sir...'

Cannon : You fat bastard.

Petrocelli : Poof.

The Professionals : Smug, self important posers who spend their entire time off wanking over minging office secretaries that they have managed to pull.

The Sweeney : SHUT IT!

Pie in the Sky : Lame British cop show featuring a copper who runs a restaurant.

Wycliffe : Lame British cop show featuring a copper in Cornwall.

Shoestring : Lame British cop show featuring a copper who is a DJ.

Juliet Bravo : Lame British cop show featuring a copper who is a northern bird.

The Bill : Lame British cop show featuring a copper or two.

Van Der Valk : Lame British cop show featuring a copper in Amsterdam who is Dutch.

Burnside : Lame British cop show featuring a copper played by an actor I got pissed with at the cricket last night.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Has to be a toss up between Kojak and Starsky and Hutch. But, what about Softly, Softly and Z Cars to name but two Bristish cop shows ?

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Not a cop show but I watched Minder the other day on one of the cable channels. Couldn't believe how crap it was - I used to think it was great at the time

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Quincy went out with a lot of stunners. There was obviously something about his V-necks, houseboat and abuse of his slave, Sam, that got the ladies hungry for a bit of Q-tipping.
Personally, i would have been happy to beat him to death with a large book.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I thought this was about real life cop shows, my favourite of which is the aptly entitled 'Railcops'.

The Welsh guy is the best, he f***ing LOVES being a rozzer.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
I love the guy that presents The World's Scariest Police Chases That guy is a LEGEND.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here