Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cooke, brinkhurst, pelling , etc

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
what has happened to the above players , i believe ide got released but what of the other three?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
why do we even bother with these players? If we are never going to blood them then why sign them in the first place?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
why do we even bother with these players? If we are never going to blood them then why sign them in the first place?

Because they might come through later?

Pretty sure Virgo and Hammond (as 2 examples) both spent a fair old time in the reserves and on loan before they got a look in the first team,

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Isnt Brinkhurst at Lewes

...and playing really well by all accounts.

It really does amaze me why we bother having a youth set up. this is not a critisism ogf the players, far from it, BUT when you have managers who will go out and loan or buy players to fill positions and have to look for instant impact, then there is no point whatsoever in having youth teams.

Dean Wilkins saw the benefit of having youngsters and bringing them through.....everyone else since hasn't.

Personally I would get a system going whereby the Premiership teams have academies to bring on talented youngsters and then loan them out to championship/1st and 2nd Divi teams. Then the lower league teams dont have to develop the kids that they cant afford to do anyway.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Thought Brinkhurst's loan at Lewes had finished and he'd come back to push for a squad place ?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
...and playing really well by all accounts.

It really does amaze me why we bother having a youth set up. this is not a critisism ogf the players, far from it, BUT when you have managers who will go out and loan or buy players to fill positions and have to look for instant impact, then there is no point whatsoever in having youth teams.

Dean Wilkins saw the benefit of having youngsters and bringing them through.....everyone else since hasn't.

Personally I would get a system going whereby the Premiership teams have academies to bring on talented youngsters and then loan them out to championship/1st and 2nd Divi teams. Then the lower league teams dont have to develop the kids that they cant afford to do anyway.
It's not the Youth setup irtself that's at fault - it's what happens after. We have had some successes like Virgo and Elphick but they didn't emerge from the youth team as fully-developed professionals; most if not all of the young pros we produce could benefit from at least a year out on loan. As you say we could get premiership kids and our kids can go to places like Eastbourne, Worthing, Crawley and Lewes. Sometimes, for reasons of economy or whatever, we've tried to bring the youngsters on too quickly and then they've been slaughtered by the CRETINS on here who immediately expect them to be fully mature.

It's not quite the same thing as I'm a pretty crap footballer, but I went straight from playing schools football to playing in a mens' league and it was a hell of a culture shock - and I didn't have thousands of fans watching me or a few cretins slagging me off on the internet.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's not the Youth setup irtself that's at fault - it's what happens after. We have had some successes like Virgo and Elphick but they didn't emerge from the youth team as fully-developed professionals; most if not all of the young pros we produce could benefit from at least a year out on loan. As you say we could get premiership kids and our kids can go to places like Eastbourne, Worthing, Crawley and Lewes. Sometimes, for reasons of economy or whatever, we've tried to bring the youngsters on too quickly and then they've been slaughtered by the CRETINS on here who immediately expect them to be fully mature.

It's not quite the same thing as I'm a pretty crap footballer, but I went straight from playing schools football to playing in a mens' league and it was a hell of a culture shock - and I didn't have thousands of fans watching me or a few cretins slagging me off on the internet.

I totally agree. I went from playing cricket for a local team who played friendlies on Saturdays to Brighton and Hove in the Sussex League and it was a hell of a jump....and that is only local cricket. Playing football in front of 20 people and then being thrust in front of 6000 people all assuming you are the new Pele must soul destroying

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One of the issues is that the Youth programme (and this is nationally) is only two years. Previously it used to be three, so players are being spat out by the system before they're ideally ready.

Virtually all of our players who have come through the Youth system have gone on loan to gain some experience, and that is often the equivalent of their third year. I can't think of anyone who didn't.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
One of the issues is that the Youth programme (and this is nationally) is only two years. Previously it used to be three, so players are being spat out by the system before they're ideally ready.

Virtually all of our players who have come through the Youth system have gone on loan to gain some experience, and that is often the equivalent of their third year. I can't think of anyone who didn't.
I think they've all had at least short loans, but I don't think that's good enough. I know Tom Fraser, in his first year as a pro, had about a month at Bognor and then made his 1st team debut in Wilkins' first match in charge (Millwall away). Not much of a transitional period for someone who went on to attract a lot of ire from the cretins I mentioned earlier.

luke17

Oct 9, 2003
Ide is at Bognor not sure if he's on loan or signed for them but i saw him play last week and Bognor is about his level he even managed to get sent off

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
if you don't have a manager who's brave enough to actually play the guys coming through the youth set-up then its pointless having one.

wilkins did and we've all seen the benefits - both with players now in the 1st team squad, and those we've sold on for a profit. adams on the other hand showed no interest in anybody coming through through the ranks, so we'll never no what might have been, i think he released a whole load of first year pros during his comedy stint.

i hope gus gives our current prospects a go, if you don't play them you'll never really know how good they are. I would like to see George Baker on the bench again soon, and if we're 2 or 3 up why not give him ten minutes or so just to give him a feel for it? And then keep him involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here