Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Controversial, but are we a realistic premiership club?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Maybe people havn't been saying we deserve it, but they have been saying we should be this and we should be that. Think were trying to run before we can walk.

you probably dont remember we were once a top flight club. We didnt have any of the things in place we now have. Its gonna take a little time but we are definitely going the right way, only a fool would disagree with that.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
No-one deserves a place in the top league until they earn a place there, making a clubs history pretty irrelevant but, right now, no I don't think so.

We've got the stadium, we've got the owner and we have the fans but we don't yet have a name as a solid Championship club, meaning adding 'names'/top players is always going to be a little bit harder for us than some other clubs in the league (Cardiff, West Ham, Brum...) and without that added quality it'll be, I think, just beyond us.

Give it 5 years though...

Totally disagree - Its not about being a "solid championship side" its about how much dosh your give players. Alan sugar nailed this years ago - Mercenaries!!

Perhaps if we were called Brighton Rock Hove Albion that would give us a more solid name?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Oh I'm with you 100%. The CL should be for CHAMPIONS of the respective national leagues. Europa League for the rest. What made it so special this year is the number of national champions who had a shocker in the CL group stage :)

Having a high tempo and skilful Athletic Bilbao team play seven games live on UK terrestrial TV has also made this season's Europa League very special.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Totally disagree - Its not about being a "solid championship side" its about how much dosh your give players. Alan sugar nailed this years ago - Mercenaries!!

Perhaps if we were called Brighton Rock Hove Albion that would give us a more solid name?

Ok, fair point, if we want to risk it on possibly over stretching ourselves on wages then we can, same as anyone else, though I'm not sure why we'd want to?

When a younger quality player drops down a league or two they'll more than likely follow the chance of a trophy/league win to get a name for themselves as it could set up a career, much like those from a lower division. The team most likely to finish higher would get them 9 times out of 10.

We're getting there, just not quite yet.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I have seen numerous people claim our clubs infrastructure and so on is premiership standard (some even go so far as to say European competition level).
BUT is it really?
The championship is a high quality, competitive league. There is no stand out club that is "bigger" than the others by very much. Apart from Newcastle a couple of years ago.
Clubs is the championship next year that are similar to us if not larger include Leeds, Derby, Forest, Leicester, Wolves and Middlesborough. Not to mention play-off teams that don't make it so pick 3 from Cardiff, Birmingham, Blackpool and West Ham. As well, as 2 from QPR, Blackburn, Bolton or Wigan (although I think Wigan and Bolton will survive).

Hard too make a case that Brighton deserve premier league football.

It also shows why failing to push harder for the playoffs, when we had such a great chance, was a disaster. A better chance next year will be VERY costly indeed.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Isn't Brighton and Hove (together) the 12th largest conurbation in the United Kingdom? Therefore if we're talking about England alone, we must be up there with the most populated areas.

ok London has loads of teams, Manchester 2, Midlands loads - but their fanbase is scattered between their multiple teams, whereas there aren't really many other big teams in our patch so to speak (other than travel to london).

So yeah in terms of population, if we can get a ground big enough, we should be in the top 30 teams in the country I reckon. You could argue we should have a team that's at least popping into and out of the Premiership every now and then?

I don't think we're quite good enough yet. But would have taken it and called Gus a Genious!!

Last edited:

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
It also shows why failing to push harder for the playoffs, when we had such a great chance, was a disaster. A better chance next year will be VERY costly indeed.

This point exactly. We had a play off position in our own hands and blew it big time. this would have been a very inexpensive promotion IMO. While i think Gus is the right man, definitely, he got it quite wrong in the last 6 or so games with regards to team selections and tactics. IMO of course.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Crystal Palace also have a superstore but I don't think it's a plus point for them

Not only do they have a superstore, it is mobile. Which is a lot more than can be said for ours. :dunce:

I think we have the potential to be a Premier League team. Wigan and Blackburn have been established Premier League clubs and we can easily compete with them in terms of catchment area, and now stadium size and financial infrastructure.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Not yet,but,we are well on the way.We need to stabilise a large and consistent fan base,obviously improve the quality of our squad,get the training ground sorted and increase the finances.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Not only do they have a superstore, it is mobile. Which is a lot more than can be said for ours. :dunce:

I think we have the potential to be a Premier League team. Wigan and Blackburn have been established Premier League clubs and we can easily compete with them in terms of catchment area, and now stadium size and financial infrastructure.

AND they have a Sainsburys in half of their ground!

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Perhaps I was wrong to say deserve as no team deserves to be in a league, they have to play to earn the right. I guess I just think we may have too high expectations. Can't wait to see who we bring in player wise over summer, I believe we don't need any more big name signings this year. Strength in depth is more important.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Perhaps I was wrong to say deserve as no team deserves to be in a league, they have to play to earn the right. I guess I just think we may have too high expectations. Can't wait to see who we bring in player wise over summer, I believe we don't need any more big name signings this year. Strength in depth is more important.

Whats the problem with aiming for the top? surely every team aspires to that. I certainly would want to be aiming for championship survival every season.

We definitely need more signings IMO, as gus has already pointed out in no uncertain terms. Would be crazy to keep the squad as it is.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Whats the problem with aiming for the top? surely every team aspires to that. I certainly would want to be aiming for championship survival every season.

We definitely need more signings IMO, as gus has already pointed out in no uncertain terms. Would be crazy to keep the squad as it is.

I didnt say no signings, just no big name signings. Just need to replace league one players with championship to create more strength in depth.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Crystal Palace superstore
unnamed.jpg

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I didnt say no signings, just no big name signings. Just need to replace league one players with championship to create more strength in depth.

Yes, but those "championship" players are expensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here