Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Contraversial topic for Wednesday afternoon

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why do foreignors ( especially Arab, African and Eastern European males) not use underarm deoderant?

I speak from experience of travelling on the London Underground and london transport in general

It is a great smelly mystery to me

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
sounds like lynx could be bringing out a new deodrant ..lynx beirut :lolol:

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
Why do foreignors ( especially Arab, African and Eastern European males) not use underarm deoderant?

I speak from experience of travelling on the London Underground and london transport in general

It is a great smelly mystery to me

are these the members of staff or just the passengers!!!

:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Salted fruit is a much sought-after delicacy in the middle east and parts of central Europe. Hence you will often see people of an arab or continental persuasion using the sweat from under their arms on apples, bananas and plums in order to acquire that unique salty tang and aftertaste....hence their lack of deodorant.

I believe this custom began in Morocco.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Easy 10 said:
Salted fruit is a much sought-after delicacy in the middle east and parts of central Europe. Hence you will often see people of an arab or continental persuasion using the sweat from under their arms on apples, bananas and plums in order to acquire that unique salty tang and aftertaste....hence their lack of deodorant.

I believe this custom began in Morocco.

Ah jeeze, that's the pits !

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I understand its also something to do with the skin pigment.

At school we had a Nigerian lad, he stank pretty bad but in the summer it was totally unbearable. One day a group of mates with handkerchiefs over their faces burst in to the classroom, sprayed him top to toe in deodorant and ran back out before the teacher could do anything. Class.

A black guy I once knew, also from Nigeria, said that white people also give off a strong odour, akin to sour milk.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
dave the gaffer said:

Why just foreignors (sic)? An English mate never uses deodorant, based on his reasoning that its only purpose is to mask BO so if you keep your pits clean why would you need deodorant in the first place? Deodorant doesn't stop you smelling like shite if you're going to, you just end up with a combo smell of deo and BO, and anti-perspirant deodorant doesn't stop you perspiring.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Re: Contraversial topic for Wednesday afternoon

Cheeky Monkey said:
Why just foreignors (sic)? An English mate never uses deodorant, based on his reasoning that its only purpose is to mask BO so if you keep your pits clean why would you need deodorant in the first place? Deodorant doesn't stop you smelling like shite if you're going to, you just end up with a combo smell of deo and BO, and anti-perspirant deodorant doesn't stop you perspiring.

Actually that's a very French notion. The AMericans say that the French small and when I have done a day trip over to France with them I have tried not to be xenophobic only to find myself (and my guest) being assailed but that sickly BO and deodurant combination as soon as I get off the ship.

Spicy2

Aug 12, 2004
London
I don't know the answer to the question, but some of the answers on here really made me laugh. The Pakistani woman obviously comes from Odorachi! :shootself I worked with a French woman who made a habit of chewing garlic - she could almost take your head off at 50 paces the smell was so bad.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Interesting, the answer is actually culutural.

If a man from the US or England was to walk through the African savanah every man and beast for miles would be able to smell him, and all with all that perfume from his soaps, moisturiser and deodorant he'd smell pretty strange too. Likewise a man from the East, who eats different foods and would not be aware of smells that the western nose has a heightened sensitivity too, would be apparent on the tube by his smell.

Whilst I lean on the western cultur of eiminating most bodily odour, I also laugh at us when reading excerpts such as the one below from the US Government customs site on US customs:

http://educationusa.state.gov/life/culture/customs.htm

Personal Hygiene
Every culture has accepted standards when it comes to personal hygiene. Foreign visitors should therefore be aware of what Americans consider appropriate and proper hygiene practices. For some, American standards might seem exaggerated, unnatural, or even offensive. However, if you want to fit in more easily, you will want to adopt the practices that prevail in the United States, even though doing so might not be easy. Here are a few tips and suggestions:

As a general rule, Americans usually consider that the odors that the human body naturally produces — the odors of perspiration or breath, for example — are unpleasant. Americans usually wash with soap at least once a day to control body odors and brush their teeth with toothpaste at least in the morning and evening. In addition, they use underarm deodorant/antiperspirant to control perspiration odors, and they wash their hair as often as necessary to keep it from becoming oily.

While the practice is not universal, many people use perfume, cologne, mouthwash, and other scented products to give themselves an odor that others will presumably find pleasant. However, Americans generally do not like others to use "too much" of a scented product. Too much means that the smell is discernible from more than a meter or two away.

Most American women, though not all, shave the hair from their underarms and their lower legs. Women also wear varying amounts of makeup on their faces. The amount of makeup considered acceptable is based solely on personal tastes and preferences. However, some women do not shave their body hair or wear any makeup at all, and they still fit in, without problem, in American society. It is a matter of personal choice.
Clothing should not emit bodily odors. The American practice is to wash clothing that has taken on the smell of the wearer's perspiration before it is worn again.

The basic idea is that you should be clean. Makeup, perfume, and cologne are not necessary for social acceptance, but cleanliness is definitely expected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here