Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Considered opinion on G.Elphick.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I wasn't at the game on Saturday and have only seen Gary Elphick in pre-season and the youth game against Le Harve so I was wondering if someone could offer a constructive and considered critique on his performance on Saturday and future prospects from what they saw.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thought the poor lad look nervious and was always going to walk after being booked so early in the game.
He should have been taken off at half time, and replaced by his brtother.
To early to say if he will make it or not really, tho what mcghee was thinking giving his debut at reading i will never know.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Gary Elphick looks like a fairly uncomprimising traditional English Centre Back. A blocker if you like. Possibly lacks a bit of pace and I suspect has to work hard on his game.

Tommy, from what I have seen in the stiffs looks like the prospect. Seems to have that ability to play the ball out of defence, which is what defenders need to be able to do these days.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Sounds like together they could make a decent centre back pairing.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
Not sure on that. Tommy, I suspect is the one we will see a lot more of. Lynch is also coming through and he looks to be a very good prospect. Gary was only given a one year deal, where as Breach (who can play in defence and midfield) was given a two year deal.

I said 'sounds like', not definately but on paper. I must say I'm not so sure about Lynch from what I have seen.

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
Solid, not as quick as Harding, but looks good. He has played in midfield a bit as well, but I think Wilkins does this to give players a different perspective of the game.

Cool. I think thats a good idea on Wilkins part, as it gives you a broader idea of tactics etc in my opinion.

Am I right in thinking he has only just turned 17?

Les Biehn said:
I wasn't at the game on Saturday and have only seen Gary Elphick in pre-season and the youth game against Le Harve so I was wondering if someone could offer a constructive and considered critique on his performance on Saturday and future prospects from what they saw.

Very hard to give a considered opinion on 48 minutes play, we need to see a lot more of him and my guess is we will.

E

enigma

Uncle Buck said:
I think he is a third year scholar, not sure though. He seems to be a name that has been bounded around as a decent prospect for a while now.

Yeah, thats what I have heard. Think he has only just turned 17 as on football manager he is on a youth contract at the start of the game.

Im intrigued to see how the likes of Chamberlain and COx develop as well.Heard good things about them.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
enigma said:
Yeah, thats what I have heard. Think he has only just turned 17 as on football manager he is on a youth contract at the start of the game.

Im intrigued to see how the likes of Chamberlain and COx develop as well.Heard good things about them.

I've seen the youth about 6 times this year and have been impressed, they play some nice football. From what I have seen the names to look out for will be Richard Martin, Paul Hinshelwood, Sonny Cobbs, Tommy Fraser, Scott Chamberlain and Joe Gatting. Not sure about the 1st years, bit difficult to tell which way they are going to go.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Les Biehn said:
I've seen the youth about 6 times this year and have been impressed, they play some nice football. From what I have seen the names to look out for will be Richard Martin, Paul Hinshelwood, Sonny Cobbs, Tommy Fraser, Scott Chamberlain and Joe Gatting. Not sure about the 1st years, bit difficult to tell which way they are going to go.

Tommy Fraser does look good and bearing in mind who his grandfather is, nobody is ever going to harm him on the football pitch....

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
Tommy Fraser does look good and bearing in mind who his grandfather is, nobody is ever going to harm him on the football pitch....

Very true.

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Elphick's debut reminded me of when we blooded Derek Coughlan about 8/9 years ago against then leaders Oxford Utd at the Goldstone.

Physically looked good, but footballwise not up to it at all.

Coughlan was taken off and never returned, lets see what happens to Elphick!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here