Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sentimental but Hereford for me - it could have been us

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Didn't Leeds United join the league as Leeds City, having to change their name due to financial irregularities?

Jul 20, 2003
If Luke Rogers is still at Shrewsbury, isn't in Prison, is fit and plays to the best of his abilities for three games, Shrewsbury will walk it.

So:

Hereford

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Binney_on_acid said:
Hereford obviously deserve it. i'd love to see them back in the league.

Hereford are still too bitter towards us for me to want them back in the league. Much prefer Aldershot as they've been working towards much much longer.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Gully, Aldershot did not slip into the play off's at the last minute, they were in the top 5 since August, it is just their form has been shocking for the last month and so it has made it look like there was a scrap for fifth place.

I want Aldershot up, but as I have lived around that way for 20 odd years on and off (not at the moment), I do have a soft spot for them, even if the place does makes Colchester look good.

However regarding the Shots, they only go full time next season, so this maybe a promotion too soon.

If they do not go up, can we nick Desane off them?

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
Probably too soon for Aldershot. Much will depend on whether Hereford can keeptheir momentum going.

Should be Hereford, but I fancied Shrewsbury at the start of the season and think they'll do it.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
"If Luke Rogers is still at Shrewsbury, isn't in Prison, is fit and plays to the best of his abilities for three games, Shrewsbury will walk it."

We've still got Lukie, but he's not been at his best this season- too many brute force defenders and poor referees in this division- if you hate Prosser you should see some of the Conference refs. We'll probably offload Luke in the Summer if you're interested- he dives slightly less than Knight.

Our squad can beat anyone in this Division if they're bothered, but usually they can't be arsed.

Wouldn't have thought you lot had too much time for Hereford frankly- they can't stand you...

Er, I voted Shrewsbury by the way.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I was at the real SJP on Saturday, where a win for the Grecians and either Barnet or Aldershot slipping up would have seen Exeter back into playoffs. Exeter indeed won, and everyone was waiting to hear the other results, when the City chairman came out and said that Aldershot had lost, which led to everyone going mad and a pitch invasion. Then a minute later, he asked if that actually was confirmed, and heard it wasn’t and so had to admit that actually they were not in the palyoffs after all. This led to one of the weirdest atmospheres I have had at the football as no one quite knew what the fcuk was going on.

As Hereford finished nearly 20 points clear of 3rd I think they must be clear favourites.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Quite pleased Exeter didn't make it- I think it was probably fair that they didn't have 12 points deducted in the end, but their threat to take the Conference to court and so cause considerable financial difficulties to some of the smaller clubs left a nasty taste.

Hereford do deserve to go up, given their points total, but on the other hand it'd be very funny if they didn't. Especially if we do instead.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Yeah, Exeter have become rather the enemy in the eyes of most conference clubs.

Not just over the court action, but also the Conference came up with the threat to deduct points over the fact they thought Dwayne Lee signed after a transfer embargo came into force. In the end they were found not guilty, but Lee hasn’t really played since, though the official reason is he is stalling on a new contract.

Crawley Boy

Oct 13, 2003
Crawley
fatboy said:
This is true. It is 6000 seats as well I think.

They would have to lose at least one of the terraces behind the goal and put a stand in.

I am not convinced they can do anything down the other long side even though people tell me they can.
The Broadfield Stadium meets the league entry requirements, although the capacity would need to increase by 4 to 5,000 by 1st May of the first season in the league.

Within 3 years there has to be 2,000 seats. There are currently 1,100.

http://www.confguide.com/cgi-bin/news.mpl/2003/07/11/b

As for the open terrace, when the stadium was built there were plans put in place that it can be developed when the time is required. I believe this would be another seated stand similar to the current West Stand.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Exiled in Exeter said:
I was at the real SJP on Saturday, where a win for the Grecians and either Barnet or Aldershot slipping up would have seen Exeter back into playoffs. Exeter indeed won, and everyone was waiting to hear the other results, when the City chairman came out and said that Aldershot had lost, which led to everyone going mad and a pitch invasion. Then a minute later, he asked if that actually was confirmed, and heard it wasn’t and so had to admit that actually they were not in the palyoffs after all. This led to one of the weirdest atmospheres I have had at the football as no one quite knew what the fcuk was going on.

Didn't that happen at Barnsley or Middlesborough or somewhere like that in 91, when we made it into the playoffs with Wendy's last minute wonder goal? Barnsley (or Middlesborough, or somewhere...) were all on the pitch going potty thinking they'd made it into the playoffs when news of our win came through. Ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Stumpy Tim said:
Hereford - no thanks. They still hate us - it's not our fault they went down!! Aldreshot or Barnet for me. Preferably Aldershot
That's how I see it too. But I think Hereford will make it.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
Anyone with me, by the way, in thinking the Conference should really now become Division 4 anyway? More than half the teams in it are now full time, average gates have shot up this season and several Conference games now have higher attendances than Div 3 matches- and the standard of football is much the same.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Staly said:
Anyone with me, by the way, in thinking the Conference should really now become Division 4 anyway? More than half the teams in it are now full time, average gates have shot up this season and several Conference games now have higher attendances than Div 3 matches- and the standard of football is much the same.

Yes and no. I agree that a lot of the Conference teams are now better run than their league coutner parts, but the 72 league teams generally struggle along and letting another 18? into the fold is only going to make things harder.

Staly

Mar 30, 2004
Manchester
But would you say the same thing if you'd lost against Hereford? Loss of TV money and attendances cause serious difficulties to clubs going into the Conference (although our attendances have actually gone up from last season). And you don't really have the option of going part time now if you want to compete.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Staly said:
But would you say the same thing if you'd lost against Hereford? Loss of TV money and attendances cause serious difficulties to clubs going into the Conference (although our attendances have actually gone up from last season). And you don't really have the option of going part time now if you want to compete.

The one thing that has happened to clubs that have dropped into the Conference is it has given them a chance to sort themselves out, Chester being the prime example. The Conference seems to be a well run league with its own TV deal etc, if it became part of the league, would they get as many televised games as they currently do. I think Aldershot have been on Sky as many times as the Albion this year.

I will say the thing that has been a success is the extra promotion place. At the time I was not in favour of this, as dropping out of the league was a serious thing and some of the recent clubs to join the league have offered sod all (Halifax, Maccessfield, Kiddiminster), however what is has done is meant some of the dead wood has dropped out (please be Carlisle this year) and made the Conference far more competitive, as has been shown by Doncaster pissing Division 3 this year.

Personally I think the Shrews are best team in the playoffs, but I am rooting for Barnet all the way. After all the s**t they have had to put up with since Flashman f**ked them up it would be great to see them back in the league.

And yes they do have a dispensation to play in the league provided they sort the ground out in a couple of years. They've had the same problems as us and are fighting a hostile tory council (was labour till Blair hacked everyone off) and Prescott who listened to the Nimby's over Copthall.

Come on you bees!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here