Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'community' pub, in moulescum? haha

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
and what? I moved into Moulsecoomb 7 years ago, and I can tell you that there is more community spirit here than any other place I have lived. We have lived in Mile Oak, Portslade, Hove, Kemp Town and Whitehawk. I don't know why people decide that we are scum without even knowing us. I think if the pub was run properly it will be great.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Bevendean was my local for years. It was a decent boozer - had Pompey Royal and Bass on the handpumps and a decent clientele (if you didn't mind the local chancers offering you hooky gear).

Good for them for getting this off the ground, Moulsecoomb is a big estate to be without a pub.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
and what? I moved into Moulsecoomb 7 years ago, and I can tell you that there is more community spirit here than any other place I have lived. We have lived in Mile Oak, Portslade, Hove, Kemp Town and Whitehawk. I don't know why people decide that we are scum without even knowing us. I think if the pub was run properly it will be great.

Most of my friends are from Scoomb. Couldn't find a better bunch of people

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

It's a typical problem, places keep their reputation long after the trouble has cleared. Where my Mum used to live in Hastings had an absolutely terrible reputation, despite everyone being friendly and kids playing in the street quite happily. Turned out all the trouble makers had been banged up years before.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
seen on twitter- this was the Bevendean pub, in Moulescoomb Way..?

spread the word about the bevendean community pub project in brighton! exciting stuff. Facebook - The Bevy
pls RT

The Bevendean Pub closure is nothing short of a disgrace. Regardless of what went on during its final months it was still used the locals and generally had a good atmosphere inside. Shutting the pub down becuase of the landlord's criminality deprived the locals of an all too rare meeting point in that area, and whilst many have moved on to the Moulsecoomb club that is now under threat.

Reality is the council (in concert with developers and brown envolopes) are all too happy to close pubs like the Bevendean down because they convert easily into housing units, (as far as I am aware it is already earmarked for student accomodation). This is against the wishes of the locals.

Pubs and estates are like football clubs will have there fair share of wankers...............you prove this point quite nicely.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not a very wise choice of thread title me thinks , as others have stated of all the places i have lived i found it far and away the most friendliest of communities .

smoke grenade

Banned
Feb 3, 2012
The Bevendean Pub closure is nothing short of a disgrace. Regardless of what went on during its final months it was still used the locals and generally had a good atmosphere inside. Shutting the pub down becuase of the landlord's criminality deprived the locals of an all too rare meeting point in that area, and whilst many have moved on to the Moulsecoomb club that is now under threat.

Reality is the council (in concert with developers and brown envolopes) are all too happy to close pubs like the Bevendean down because they convert easily into housing units, (as far as I am aware it is already earmarked for student accomodation). This is against the wishes of the locals.

Pubs and estates are like football clubs will have there fair share of wankers...............you prove this point quite nicely.

Landlords criminality? Elaborate...

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I live near Birdham road, not the nicest of places in Brighton. But I have never in the almost 5 years since living here had any problems. Mile Oak on the other hand....phoar, so many ***** it's actually unbelievable. However, not everyone there was. It was just that nasty housing estate 'hamilton close'.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Most of my friends are from Scoomb. Couldn't find a better bunch of people

Same. My family lived on the Highway for years until the Council turfed my aunt out. I've drunk in the Bev many times. It was good. Could get a bit hairy at times but no problem if you kept your head out of it.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Moved to Bevendean Crescent last summer and love the area. If you think Moulescoombe is a dodgy area you must really live a sheltered life!

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
The Bev was a great Pub. Had it's fair share of wronguns but what pub don't. To slag off the area and label it scum is a bit silly. I know millionaires who still live in Moulscoomb today. It may be a bit deprived in areas but what lacks in class it makes up for in community spirit. Without places like Scoomb, Whitehawk, Hollingdean, Mile Oak etc.. The Jeremy Kyle show would not exist. Now I don't know about you lot but that would ruin my mornings :annoyed:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here