Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Comlete horseracing novice needs some Grand National help

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I know the square root of sod all about horse racing and this is my once a year bet. I normally go for a horse between 10/1 and 30/1 that I like the name of as an each way bet (it's first 4 for the National isn't it?)

Anyone got any decent tips for my annual £20 e/w punt or perhaps one of those sophistomocated accumulator thingies that I could do?

Uncle Spielberg need not apply.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
i don't know much about horses but the kids go to school with the children of a trainer and he told me as good an each way shout as any would be darkness. he was 25/1 when i backed him earlier this week.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
GRAND NATIONAL

NO French bred (not won since 1909)

Ran no more than 48 days before winning

won over 3m in a big field

ran more than 10 chase's NO second season chaser

They have previously won or placed in a Graded chase

lightly raced horse

only Hedgehunter (11-1) has carried more than 11 stone to victory in the last 15 running's ,

we are left with

Black Apalachi (IRE)
Preists Leap (IRE)
Kilbeggan Blade
Idle Talk (IRE)

Now the weights have changed

Kilbeggan Blade
Idle Talk (IRE)
going to add the
Darkness

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I know the square root of sod all about horse racing and this is my once a year bet. I normally go for a horse between 10/1 and 30/1 that I like the name of as an each way bet (it's first 4 for the National isn't it?)

Anyone got any decent tips for my annual £20 e/w punt or perhaps one of those sophistomocated accumulator thingies that I could do?

Are you doing your bets online Buzzer? If so, bet365.com are doing each way 1/4 of the odds for the first FIVE places. Not sure how many other bookies are doing likewise.

Personally I'd suggest splitting your £20 e/w punt into two £10 e/w punts, as it's a long old race if your one horse gets brought down at the first fence through no fault of its own.

Would suggest backing both Hear The Echo and State Of Play each way, both currently 14/1 with bet365.com

You will be charged a beer for this information :cheers:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Cheers all. I shall digest, consider and get back to you. Bleedin' minefield this horseracing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Uncle Spielberg need not apply.

You are well on the way to fiscal stability by the sound of it. I used to back a couple in the 10/1 to 16/1 bracket and go £3 ew then pick 2 reasonable horses in the 25/1 to 66/1 bracket and back them at a pound each way. I usually got my money back and often made enough for a round or two.
Of course, this is not in the Spielburg tradition of throwing money away but is still good fun.
Remember, horseracing likes to call itself a sport even though it is a business. Nearly everyone "In " the business knows ten times what us ordinary joe public punters do and as such it is people like poor old US who subsidise the industry. My long term advice is to steer clear other than the GN and the Derby etc..
There was a horse Called The Pilgarlic or something who was placed at good odds I think 3 out of the 5 years it ran. It never won but helped to subsidise my day !

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My wife's work did a sweepstake yesterday and the lady who arranged it went onto a website, printed out the horses names, cut them out and did the draw, only for somebody to ask, "aren't these last years horses"

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Forget the National i got bet which is dead cert, 1-2 on BHAFC getting relegated,honest its easy money,1-2? damn we should be 1-6,think about it,now more players out for rest of the season,where goals coming from? that is if,we can stop goals 1st.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My wife's work did a sweepstake yesterday and the lady who arranged it went onto a website, printed out the horses names, cut them out and did the draw, only for somebody to ask, "aren't these last years horses"

I organised our work one this year - and did exactly the same. :blush:

It came to light when the person who drew out the first horse went online to look at his form and realised that horse was actually dead - which is quite a handicap.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It came to light when the person who drew out the first horse went online to look at his form and realised that horse was actually dead - which is quite a handicap.

Went to Plumpton races once at a time when there was both a Sporting Life and a Racing Post to study the form in. While the Sporting life had one particular horse listed as 'DOUBTFUL', the Racing Post had it listed as 'DEAD' :lol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

probably some of US'S selections still running :jester:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Are you doing your bets online Buzzer? If so, bet365.com are doing each way 1/4 of the odds for the first FIVE places. Not sure how many other bookies are doing likewise.

Personally I'd suggest splitting your £20 e/w punt into two £10 e/w punts, as it's a long old race if your one horse gets brought down at the first fence through no fault of its own.

Would suggest backing both Hear The Echo and State Of Play each way, both currently 14/1 with bet365.com

You will be charged a beer for this information :cheers:

http://www.boylesports.co.uk are paying out 1/4 odds on the first 6 places

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
If you want some decent advice in regards to horseracing....the first bit of advice is stay well clear of this race.

All form goes out of the window, some odds are all not representative of the horse/jockeys ability due to every man and his dog in the uk betting.

I never bet on the national as its just a bit of fun and for me losing money isnt all that much of a laugh.

You want some easy advice going forward, start watching the morning line, start reading the racing papers and have a small dabble from time to time starting with £5 e/w here and there......but as for this race its an absolute lottery and not worth more than a couple of quid and having not much expectation of winning it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here