Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Come on Gus. It's all becoming far to predictable.....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What did your eyes tell you ?

My eyes told me that first half Cardiff defended VERY well, and were happy with the draw, although they looked very dangerous on the break, luckily we weren't playing two wingers otherwise we would've been overrun on the counter.

2nd half it all went a bit mental, plans out the window and it Cardiff very nearly won.

That's what my eyes told me.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It was slow going in the first half last night, a lot better after the break thought that was partly due to Cardiff deciding not to have 10 men behind the ball.

But you have to remember that we could, maybe should have been one or two goals up at half-time. So even with the 'style', had we taken the chances, no one would have been complaining.

The one frustration I have watching Albion's passing game is that it should be for a reason, an end product. The best passing teams keep the ball, always probing, pulling the other team around, waiting for someone to be free or a defender out of position, then they speed it up, a couple of quick killer passes and make the chance. Often, when we have done the hard work, the chance of the killer pass goes begging and it goes backwards or sideways. That's decision-making and awareness, and Gus needs to work on that with the players (I'm sure he does already, to be fair).

Very good post.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My eyes told me that first half Cardiff defended VERY well, and were happy with the draw, although they looked very dangerous on the break, luckily we weren't playing two wingers otherwise we would've been overrun on the counter.

2nd half it all went a bit mental, plans out the window and it Cardiff very nearly won.

That's what my eyes told me.

to be fair so could we....their keeper made a blinding save from barnes and some other top notch saves in the last 20 minutes

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If we look at our squad, we don't have a lot of experience at this level.

Do we honestly have the players who are good enough to unlock defences of the good teams in this division?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
to be fair so could we....their keeper made a blinding save from barnes and some other top notch saves in the last 20 minutes

Yup. But we know Gus doesn't like games left to chance. He likes to control games. He would've preferred the first half, no question.

If the second half had been played exactly the same as the first, it would've either been 0-0 or 1-0 to us.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Do we honestly have the players who are good enough to unlock defences of the good teams in this division?

Noone, Lua Lua, Buckley (any two from 3, count four if you throw in Assulin)and CMS sniffing about with a strike partner Vokes or Barnes. Havent even mentioned Vicente.

The answer is therefore YES.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well we will NEVER know will we. Like mine its an assumption. However I would actually like to TRY it.

While it can be dull and stifling sometimes, Gus prefers games we're in control of, rather than 50-50 kick and rush mayhem. I think I agree with him overall.

I also think that perhaps, just perhaps, he's focusing on making us a SOLID, hard-to-beat Championship side first - which we are becoming. I'm hoping early on next season we will start to see more attacking line ups chosen.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Noone, Lua Lua, Buckley (any two from 3, count four if you throw in Assulin)and CMS sniffing about with a strike partner Vokes or Barnes. Havent even mentioned Vicente.

The answer is therefore YES.

You haven't mentioned Harley either.........

Noone......from Plymouth
Lua Lua.....from Newcastle reserves
Buckley.......from Watford
CMS......only scored 10 for Posh in a full season when played in this division previously
Barnes....from Plymouth reserves
Vicente.....WHO?

and behind them we have

Navarro......ex MK Dons and Macclesfield
Bridcutt.......shown the door at Chelsea and no one else wanted them.

I'm not saying they are rubbish, but they are up against experienced teams from this level. We don't have a lockpicker, who can put in the balls inside full backs for CMS to run onto.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You haven't mentioned Harley either.........

Noone......from Plymouth
Lua Lua.....from Newcastle reserves
Buckley.......from Watford
CMS......only scored 10 for Posh in a full season when played in this division previously
Barnes....from Plymouth reserves
Vicente.....WHO?

and behind them we have

Navarro......ex MK Dons and Macclesfield
Bridcutt.......shown the door at Chelsea and no one else wanted them.

I'm not saying they are rubbish, but they are up against experienced teams from this level. We don't have a lockpicker, who can put in the balls inside full backs for CMS to run onto.

Thankfully he will never be near a ptich again this season.

Vicente is the man re the last paragraph.

Doesnt matter where they were playing. The fact is they ARE good enough.

Otherwise we could be saying Kevin Keegan - Scunthorpe United, Chris Waddle - Tow Law Town, Peter Beardsley - Vancouver Whitecaps, Alan Shearer - Southampton, Ian Wright - Non league etc

I just cannot for the life of me grasp why Gus chooses never to pair CMS and Vokes? Surely it's only a matter of time? As soon as the subs got off you just knew what was about to happen. Some plonker told me I was wrong and the subs would change the game. Did they really? We went 2-1 after the changes but yes we did manage to score two goals which the previous set up had failed to do. Yet time and time again, this isnt the fault of CMS who is sacrificed for a target man each and every game we are not ahead.

In my opinion we have a number of things wrong. The ball ends up with Gordon Greer far too often. He is not exactly the creative genius we are after and constantly misses out on CMS runs across the defence. When chasing a game there is also no reason for Alan Navarro to be on the pitch. Yes he does an excellent job patrolling the pitch, narrowing opposition space and keeping us ticking over but, he fails to pass a football anywhere other than sideways. When you throw on two wingers and have two strikers in Vokes and Barnes making runs or calling for the ball, surely you leave Razak on to do this?

I agree that Gus should stop worrying about how the opposition can hurt us, especially when playing at home. This is perfectly summarised by the continual positioning of Barnes in a sort of defensive wing position. What in god's name is the point? Please someone tell me? ALL Barnes can do is SCORE GOALS. He is bloody brilliant at doing so. Every time he does he isnt cutting in from midfield he has wondered from his position on the left or right and played more central and nicked a goal. Like a good STRIKER. I just do not get it but hey, it's worked so I cant complain. Just in games like last night were we are crying out for an impact player, Gus seems unable to change.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yup. But we know Gus doesn't like games left to chance. He likes to control games. He would've preferred the first half, no question.

If the second half had been played exactly the same as the first, it would've either been 0-0 or 1-0 to us.

but to be fair, it wasn't us that changed the course of the second half...cardiff came out after soaking up the best we could offer in the first half and went for the jugular, which they did very successfully.

I am not sure what you mean by we could have won 1-0 when they scored first against the very same players and tactics that was on the pitch in the first half and was being adopted.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I just cannot for the life of me grasp why Gus chooses never to pair CMS and Vokes? Surely it's only a matter of time? As soon as the subs got off you just knew what was about to happen. Some plonker told me I was wrong and the subs would change the game. Did they really? We went 2-1 after the changes but yes we did manage to score two goals which the previous set up had failed to do. Yet time and time again, this isnt the fault of CMS who is sacrificed for a target man each and every game we are not ahead.

In my opinion we have a number of things wrong. The ball ends up with Gordon Greer far too often. He is not exactly the creative genius we are after and constantly misses out on CMS runs across the defence. When chasing a game there is also no reason for Alan Navarro to be on the pitch. Yes he does an excellent job patrolling the pitch, narrowing opposition space and keeping us ticking over but, he fails to pass a football anywhere other than sideways. When you throw on two wingers and have two strikers in Vokes and Barnes making runs or calling for the ball, surely you leave Razak on to do this?

I agree that Gus should stop worrying about how the opposition can hurt us, especially when playing at home. This is perfectly summarised by the continual positioning of Barnes in a sort of defensive wing position. What in god's name is the point? Please someone tell me? ALL Barnes can do is SCORE GOALS. He is bloody brilliant at doing so. Every time he does he isnt cutting in from midfield he has wondered from his position on the left or right and played more central and nicked a goal. Like a good STRIKER. I just do not get it but hey, it's worked so I cant complain. Just in games like last night were we are crying out for an impact player, Gus seems unable to change.

Good post. agree with most of that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Because Barnes works very well when fulfilling his defensive duties. Gus expects every player to do more than just one job, and they do do exactly that. 'ALL Barnes can do is SCORE GOALS...' - I don't think so.

Murray was our best defender at corners over the previous couple of seasons...

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Because Barnes works very well when fulfilling his defensive duties. Gus expects every player to do more than just one job, and they do do exactly that. 'ALL Barnes can do is SCORE GOALS...' - I don't think so.

This. All of it

Yes but do we need him in that position? Murray was good at defending corners yes but we didnt have him as our best finisher placed out in a defensive wing position. Why do that to Barnes? I dont really beleive Barnes adds anything to the midfield defensivley in that role. We already have TWO defensive midfielders playing, with Razak supposedly a natural in that position as well. I just think we would get more out of him playing central. Not just for his ability in front of goal but I am certain CMS would profit having Barnes alongside him more so than he would even with Vokes.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes but do we need him in that position? Murray was good at defending corners yes but we didnt have him as our best finisher placed out in a defensive wing position. Why do that to Barnes? I dont really beleive Barnes adds anything to the midfield defensivley in that role. We already have TWO defensive midfielders playing, with Razak supposedly a natural in that position as well. I just think we would get more out of him playing central. Not just for his ability in front of goal but I am certain CMS would profit having Barnes alongside him more so than he would even with Vokes.

He's not a 'defensive midfielder' in the mould of Razak or Bridcutt. He does, however, perform defensive duties.

Nor is he a 'wide' player. He operates in that hinterland between the centre and the wings, often referred to as the 'channels'. He does, however, also drift into the centre, and out to the wings. He, like everyone else, has a number of tasks to undertake.

As I said earlier, no player has one job. Everyone has to be fluid. He even temporarily fills in a left-back when Mattock goes AWOL. Noone plays a similar role, as does Lua Lua, Buckley and (when he plays) Sparrow. Sparrow and Barnes were often inter-changeable. Buckley plays the same role as Barnes on the opposite side, though he is more wing-minded.

Frankly, it's a waste of his many talents to not having perform defensive duties.

The only player who has fewer defensive duties is CMS. You want Barnes as an out-and-out striker, alongside CMS. Gus doesn't play it that way. We are far more fluid than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here