Colin Moynihan to take over British Olympic Association

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Tory peers taking over it seems...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/olympics_2012/4309706.stm

Moynihan named new BOA chairman

Moynihan won rowing silver as a cox at the 1980 Olympics

Former sports minister Lord Moynihan has been chosen as the new chairman of the British Olympic Association.

The Conservative peer was voted in ahead of 1968 Olympic hurdles champion David Hemery, the BBC has learned.

Moynihan said: "It's a very great honour to represent the governing bodies of sport as chairman of the BOA.

"With a strong team in place we intend to generate a financial and sporting legacy for UK Olympic governing bodies which befits a host Olympic nation."

The 50-year-old won the majority of the 43 votes - the 28 summer Olympic and seven winter Olympic sports each had a vote as well as individual members of the BOA.

He takes over from Scotland's Craig Reedie, who has been at the BOA's helm for 13 years. Reedie will remain a British representative on the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Moynihan's success will cause some disquiet in Whitehall after his criticisms of Government sports policy, especially as he will now play a key role in the preparations for the 2012 Olympics in London.

With Moynihan's friend Lord Coe already the chairman of London 2012, it means there are now two Conservative peers in senior positions connected with a Games which the Government wants to be seen as a New Labour legacy.

Moynihan will be one of four members of the all-powerful Olympic Board for 2012 along with Coe, culture secretary Tessa Jowell and London mayor Ken Livingstone.

Moynihan has promised to step down from politics and has pointed to his participation in the 1980 Olympics as evidence of his ability to remain independent.

The then Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher failed to persuade the BOA to boycott the Games and Moynihan, who became her sports minister seven years later, took part and won a silver medal as the cox to the men's rowing eight.

Moynihan, who had the sports minister job from 1987 to 1990, said: "The BOA has always proudly defended its independence and I was very much a beneficiary of that in 1980.

"I believe that independence continues to be regarded as a high priority by BOA members."

There will, however, have to some bridge-building by Moynihan, who only two weeks ago published the results of an independent sports review he chaired with Kate Hoey MP which was almost completely opposed to current government policy.

Hemery, who was already a vice-chairman of the BOA, won gold in the 400m hurdles at the Mexico City Olympics.

He had been part of the London bid delegation in Singapore which helped secure the 2012 Games.

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
clapham_gull said:
Now what was the connection between his half brother and Howards Marks ?

Here you go. Has smack links as well...

FILIPINO WIVES LOSE OUT AS MOYNIHAN PROMISES TO END LEGACY OF DISGRACE;
Former minister likely to inherit peerage from man who 'rollicked in deceit like a pig'. John Ezard reports on third baron's trail of lies, forgery and deception

BYLINE: John Ezard

BODY:
THE former Tory minister Colin Moynihan walked victorious from the High Court yesterday, declaring himself likely to inherit the family peerage and promising to wipe out the disgrace left by his brothel -keeping relative, Lord Moynihan.

"It is a very important motive for the rest of my life to restore and recover what was once a great family name," he said. But the marathon, pounds 500,000 court case left him with a task almost as messy as the mythical labour in which Hercules had to clean the Augean stables of the dung of 3,000 cattle.

The legacy of disgrace came from the late Lord Moynihan, his half-brother, who "rollicked in deceit like a pig", according to a family friend.

An obituarist said after the third baron's death in 1991 that he had provided "ample ammunition for critics of the hereditary principle". Yesterday Mr Moynihan said: "He was one of life's bad apples."

Lord Moynihan fled from Britain to the Philippines in 1970 facing 57 charges. The trail of lies, forgery and "wicked selfishness" he left there and in Britain before his death took the court 13 days to unravel.

Yesterday's judgment de-legitimises his last child, Daniel, aged six, and annuls his marriage to the boy's Filipino mother, Jinna, his fifth wife.

It leaves his fourth wife, Editha Eduarda, poised to inherit part of his British estate plus a Manila vice fortune of up to pounds 3 million. But DNA evidence in the case led the judge, Sir Stephen Brown, to accept her son Andrew, aged six, was not fathered by Moynihan. This would disqualify him as heir to the title.

Outside court, Editha, a massage parlour owner, said she would have fresh DNA tests on Andrew. "He will always be my little baron."

Colin Moynihan said the judgment made him "more, rather than less, likely" to inherit the title. He hoped for a Lords privileges committee ruling by October, in time to seek a Commons seat at the next election if he fails.

Sir Stephen, president of the Family Division, annulled Editha's divorce from Moynihan at a Tunbridge Wells court in 1990. He found the peer had her signature forged on court papers and put up an elaborate, but false, pretence that he was domiciled in Britain.

Sir Stephen stressed that it was "a gross case", with serious consequences to the living people involved. Moynihan's wicked selfishness was the author of all their ills.

He was "a man accomplished in fraud and forgery" and had mounted a "clear, deliberate, sustained deception" of the divorce court. "His affidavit verifying the petition was false and in swearing it he committed perjury."

The peerage which fell to these criminal depths in the hands of Anthony Patrick Andrew Cairnes Berkeley Moynihan began with a Victorian who was one of the greatest British surgeons.

The third baron's grandfather, Berkeley Moynihan, was the first doctor to discover the cause of duodenal ulcers. He pioneered the use of antiseptic rubber gloves in surgery. When he died in 1936, his family was offered a Westminster Abbey funeral but chose Leeds, to which his work had been devoted.

His son, the second baron Patrick Moynihan, was chairman of the Liberal Party executive but in 1963 joined Edward Martell's ultra-rightwing Freedom Party. When he died in 1965, he was in debt and facing charges of homosexual importuning.

The third baron was a known rogue from the start. But in youth he had the charm of a "Champagne Charlie", running a Soho nightclub and marrying a nude model whom he was charged with assaulting.

"He had a difficult upbringing during the war in a family unit that was not strong," Colin Moynihan said yesterday. "He just went from bad to worse."

He was exiled to an Australian sheep farm to reform, ran away, and married a Malayan fire eater's assistant. Back in London, he worked as chauffeur for the savage slum landlord Peter Rachman. "They had this big Alsatian dog that had been taught to soil the tenants' beds," he said.

In 1980, during his Manila vice days, Lord Moynihan was identified by an Australian royal commission as an associate of Sydney's Double Bay Mob, importing heroin from the Philippines capital.

But his drinking friendship with the later deposed President Marcos was such protection that he ran a brothel within 100 yards of the British ambassador's residence.

He had a collusive relationship with police, giving evidence against fellow British drug smuggler Howard Marks and winning a promise of non-prosecution for his pre-1970s British offences.

By the late 1980s his charm and humour had gone. The most chilling High Court evidence was of the shifty determination with which he deceived lawyers over the fabricated death of his son, Andrew, to convince them he would return to live in England.

Yesterday Editha spoke bitterly of their romantic early days when he was penniless in Manila in 1980. "I had to pawn my jewellery so we could get married. As the Filipino in our partnership, I worked night and day to make the money. I paid the rent," she said.

"I have been called many names, a gold-digger. But now I shall be getting what I worked for. I was the one who made it in the first place, not him."

LOAD-DATE: August 1, 1996

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
When he was Minister for Sport he was always known as "The Miniature for Short".

Good to hear he's "stepping down from politics" too. That box was starting to sag.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Attila wrote a song about him, called "Retrospective Abortion".

He was the bastard who tried to bring the ID card system for football fans. Even Jimmy 'Mine's a Tory' Greaves took out an effigy of Moynihan on 'Saint & Greavsie', and stuck a copy of the proposal of the bill up his arse. Probably the only Greaves did snce he stopped playing that I agreed with.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The Large One said:
Attila wrote a song about him, called "Retrospective Abortion".

He was the bastard who tried to bring the ID card system for football fans. Even Jimmy 'Mine's a Tory' Greaves took out an effigy of Moynihan on 'Saint & Greavsie', and stuck a copy of the proposal of the bill up his arse. Probably the only Greaves did snce he stopped playing that I agreed with.

He is the bugger that loaned a plan to the Italians in 1990 and the Italian plod rounded up as many people as there were seats in Rimini on a Saturday night.

Also was the driving force for trying to get the FA to withdraw the England side from Italia 90.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
He really is a real life Alan B'stard isn't he? That ID card shit is still on the statute books I believe. It was only the Taylor report's rubbishing of the scheme that stopped it going ahead.

Good to see another political leech still riding the gravy train isn't it?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The Large One said:
He was the bastard who tried to bring the ID card system for football fans.

and a right jumped up twerp he was if ever there was one - he was like a poodle. I fear for these organisations appointing idiots like this. Shame on them.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Dick Knights Mum said:
and a right jumped up twerp he was if ever there was one - he was like a poodle. I fear for these organisations appointing idiots like this. Shame on them.

Cock jocky springs to mind !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here