Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Coincidences

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
When I was at school I had to do a local history project. I borrowed a book from the library's local history section and that evening used it as the main source for my schoolwork. That night, I had a dream I was in the graveyard of a nearby church. There was an arched gravestone where two paths met. In the dream, I was trying to make out the name on the gravestone but it was blurred. Next day, of course, I went down to the churchyard - and there was the gravestone exactly as I'd seen it in my dream. It was the grave of the man who had written the book I'd been reading the night before.
That's not a co-incidence - that's just downright spooky.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
That's not a co-incidence - that's just downright spooky.

There's actually an explanation though, I think. I reckon on a previous visit to the churchyard I'd clocked that gravestone but it was deeply buried in my subconscious. So when I read the book, somewhere in the back of my mind I remembered I'd heard/seen the name before and that was why it cropped up in the dream.

It did freak me out at the time tho!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Had another kind of similar experience.

As I kid, I was obsessed with a spooky TV series about a girl who was in hospital. She was given a sketch pad, and everything she drew came to life in her dreams. She drew a house surrounded by stones, with a boy in the window. In her dreams, she would visit him in the house. Unfortunately, as she had forgotten to draw his legs, he was in a wheelchair! The stones surrounding the house were some kind of evil presence.

For years, I couldn't remember the name of the programme. Then a film came out called 'Paperhouse', which was clearly the same story. But still I couldn't find a link to the TV show.

But one day at work, I was scrolling the internet and suddenly for no particular reason I remembered the TV series again and wondered if I could find out anything. I Googled Paperhouse, and there was a reference that it was based on a 60s kids TV series called 'Escape into Night'. At last, after literally years of searching, I'd found it. It had existed after all.

The article said that both the film and the TV series were based on a book called 'Marianne Dreams' by Catherine Storr. I Googled Catherine Storr - she was a famous children's author and a parapsychologist. So I then started reading about her.

I was completely lost in thinking about all this, when I picked up a copy of that day's Times newspaper which someone had left on my desk.

I opened it at random. It opened at the obituaries page. At the top, was the obituary of... Catherine Storr.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Any north stand chatters care to share any coincidences?

Mrs T's first name is uncommon. I've never met another. Our surname is also uncommon and again I've never met another (excluding direct family). Someone has joined wife's work with the same name.

What more proof of (insert any conspiracy theory or celestial BS) do you need?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A while ago I was day dreaming about a bass guitar . . . Then got back to reality.

a few evenings later whilst engaged and posting sweeping generalisations on this fine portal, and supping some claret, I also happened to look at some of these bass guitars on line.

Would you believe it, several days later a bass guitar exactly the same as the one I was thinking about arrived via a courier, at my house, with my name on it!

I've been trying to channel these thoughts again, its not as easy as it sounds though. Particularly when you start thinking about exotic Italian cars.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Went to visit my mother in Devon, had a fling with one of her friends and on my next visit got into a chat with another lady but blew her out. A couple of years later I found out from my older brother he had done the same!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I had two mishearings on the same day.

First I was walking along Western Road, Brighton with my wife and our first born in a buggy. As we walked past this homeless guy he was rather persistently trying to sell us the "Big Issue" and wouldn't let up. We both looked at him and he was pointing behind us on the floor and said "Baby shoe". It had fallen out of the buggy and he hadn't said "Big Issue" at all as he wasn't a seller.

Went back to work after lunch and I was working in an office which had a big window to the street outside. Glanced out the front and exclaimed "f***ing raining again".
My colleague looked up just as a middle eastern man walked past and she said "What don't you like about Iranians"?

Just to clarify, I never mishear anything any other time, ever.

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have had several weird coincidences.

Drinking in a bar in Hong King, I got chatting to the barman.
It turned out he was the brother of someone I worked with for 18 months.

Walking down a street in Valletta, Malta and heard someone call my name, it was my parents next door neighbour.

A regular customer in our cafe was telling me that he came from Telford in the West Midlands. I told him I had once attended a wedding there. He asked who’s it was, when I told him the Grooms name , he told me the brides name, and that he had been her previous boyfriend and had been dumped for my mate.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Went to visit my mother in Devon, had a fling with one of her friends and on my next visit got into a chat with another lady but blew her out. A couple of years later I found out from my older brother he had done the same!
Is the coincidence that your mother has found two friends with such low moral character that they try to shag their friend's sons?

One being considerably less attractive than the other.

Last edited:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Over the years there have been several instances where I've read or heard of something for the first time, usually something out of context in my life or our of the ordinary.
Within a few weeks the same word or phrase will appear again.
It's happened plenty of times.
As an example, I was reading this article yesterday regarding a plane crash:
PANARCTIC CRASH
Which mentions an Inuksuk, an Inuit stone memorial.
I'd never heard this name before but I expect it to come up again within the month.
(Just don't)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Years ago I was working for a catering equipment company in East Worthing and we were doing an expo in London.
We hired a removal firm to get all our equipment up there and I had to meet them early doors and travel up with them, never met them before.
Introduced myself as Ian and asked their names, guy next to me was also called Ian.
A bit of small talk and I asked where in Worthing he was from, he said he had just moved from London down to Durrington, which happened to be where I grew up.
He started talking about a neighbour called Marie, I said my old neighbour had the same name. Turned out he had moved into my late Mum's house and his room was my old bedroom. He was really creeped out by the whole thing.

Was it Steve Coleman’s firm?

I went to school with mhim.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Back in the day, my GF at the time left a message on my answerphone to say she was dumping me because I was no good in the 'trouser department'.

Coincidentally, a day later I was sacked from my job at Hanningtons in the trouser department.
This is brilliant! My weird mind went into overdrive on suitable comments, here we go :

Did you take her to watch a film ‘The Battle of the Bulge’ before she dumped you?

No flies on you now

Do you dress to the left?

Did you ‘turn up’ late for work?

You should’ve worked upstairs as it was obvious you failed in the downstairs department.

Were you suspended for taking too many short breaks?

None of the above seams real.

That’s it from me! :blush: :bigwave:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Last season when I checked into my hotel in Marseille before the game, the woman on the reception perked up and said "oh, you've the same name as the last man", meaning the guy she'd served immediately before me who was now stood a few feet away waiting for the lift.
"What, [Sid]?"
"No, exactly the same name, [Sid Sidney]."
"Oh wow" turned to man "hi mate"
"Hi"

Never met him before or since. What a tale.

I had a related thing at a hotel in Bristol.

When I checked in, the receptionist said: 'That's strange, there seems to be two of you'. I have a slightly unusual surname (have never met anyone with the same full name), so that seemed unlikely, and I had only made one booking.

Anyway, I went up to my room, dumped my stuff, went out, got pi55ed as a newt, staggered back at 2am and crashed out.

Next day, I came down to breakfast severely the worse for wear. The woman manning the breakfast room (different one to the receptionist), said: 'Hello again, sir'.

'Again? I've only just come down'. 'No', she said. 'You were here earlier'. 'No, I wasn't'. 'It was definitely you', she said. And then she checked her register. 'See - your room number's been checked off'.

So my only conclusion was that someone with the same name as me and who looked exactly like me, had slept in my room overnight, got up before me and eaten my breakfast.

Last edited:

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Is the coincidence that your mother has found two friends with such low moral character that they try to shag their friend's sons?

One being considerably less attractive than the other.
Only 1 was a friend, the other was a random encounter in a pub.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I have loads that fit under the "it's a small world" umbrella.

When I first moved from Vietnam to Spain, I was chatting to a Spanish guy in a pub and mentioned I'd previously been living in Hanoi. He asked if I knew a Kiwi called Meg, which I did. In fact she was a former colleague. Turned out she was an ex of his.

I've had several other incidents like that where I've met people in distant lands and discovered mutual connections. Also, many times I've bumped into friends and acquaintances on the other side of the world.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
I got talking to a supporter sitting next to me on a Seagulls Travel coach for the Crawley game. To our astonisment we had tickets sitting next to each other at the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here