Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Coincidences

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I’ve got two - a few years ago I recruited a woman with the same name (first name and surname) as my daughter. Over the next few weeks we discovered her Dad’s name and my name are the same, he and I are about the same age (though she’s older than my daughter). Her birthday and my daughter’s birthday are about a week apart, my birthday and her Dad’s birthday are a week apart, and she and I had lived in the same room in a shared house in Brighton (the job was in London and she now lived in Essex hence it being even weirder) with about 20 years between us doing so.

The other, I was in a hotel for work a couple of years ago and (this sounds like a cheesy chat up line, but wasn’t) a young woman came up to me and said she knew me and couldn’t work out where from and she’d kick herself if she didn’t say hello and find out.

We got talking and couldn’t find any way we have any crossover in our lives where we would have met, she lives nowhere near here and had only visited once a long time ago, but our lives follow weird parallels. Without making this a huge massive post, details of career, family, my wife/her husband, childhood memories, sporting injuries we’d had and how we’d got them, siblings and their lives and careers, just an incredible number of things where it was like she was a female, 20 year younger version of me. Proper goosebumps at times because it felt like we knew each other and each others memories inside out, and the number of times through work travel we’d almost had an opportunity to meet in recent years was insane too - often arriving at the same places, not just in the UK, but elsewhere too, two or three days after the other had left but a gradually reducing gap almost like a countdown to actually meeting. Different professions and seeing different clients, but similarities too.

We keep in touch occasionally still, she describes it as too strong a connection to let slip because it was like we were instant close friends, and still find there are details of things that are just bizarrely similar. She jokes that she can look at me and map out her future because there’s no point fighting that it’ll just be the same as our “shared” past.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know quite a few football fans who have shat their pants
I know a few who have recently started pissing theirs…..

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
We have a slightly weird one in my family.

My mum lost her left front tooth when she was 8 years old. Smashed drinking out of one of the old school metal drinking fountains at school. Someone ran past and bumped her by accident. Smash.

My brother lost his left front tooth aged 8 Messing about at school. Knee in the face in a game of bundle.

I lost my left front front tooth aged 8. Pretended to throw the ball when playing French cricket and someone smashed me in the face with the squash racket we were using as a bat.

My sister lost her left front tooth aged 8. I tripped her up walking down a steep hill to the bus stop. She had her hands in her pockets and face met road. Lots of blood.

So all four of us lost the same tooth, same age in freak accidents.

None of us have lost any other teeth at any other age.
Doesn’t seem right clicking ‘like’ on this but anyway…

Red Squirrel

Oct 13, 2022
The Highlands
I bought a statue of a goosander at a gallery. As I carried the statue home I walked past a river and on the river was a real goosander. I had never seen a goosander on that river before or since. Spooky.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Many moons ago, I’d just taken my seat on a flight to Rotterdam and my cousin got on the same flight.

And, although not married, Mrs P has the same surname and initials as me.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The other, I was in a hotel for work a couple of years ago and (this sounds like a cheesy chat up line, but wasn’t) a young woman came up to me and said she knew me and couldn’t work out where from and she’d kick herself if she didn’t say hello and find out.

We got talking and couldn’t find any way we have any crossover in our lives where we would have met, she lives nowhere near here and had only visited once a long time ago, but our lives follow weird parallels. Without making this a huge massive post, details of career, family, my wife/her husband, childhood memories, sporting injuries we’d had and how we’d got them, siblings and their lives and careers, just an incredible number of things where it was like she was a female, 20 year younger version of me. Proper goosebumps at times because it felt like we knew each other and each others memories inside out, and the number of times through work travel we’d almost had an opportunity to meet in recent years was insane too - often arriving at the same places, not just in the UK, but elsewhere too, two or three days after the other had left but a gradually reducing gap almost like a countdown to actually meeting. Different professions and seeing different clients, but similarities too.

We keep in touch occasionally still, she describes it as too strong a connection to let slip because it was like we were instant close friends, and still find there are details of things that are just bizarrely similar. She jokes that she can look at me and map out her future because there’s no point fighting that it’ll just be the same as our “shared” past.
Sounds like a stalker to me.....

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Last season when I checked into my hotel in Marseille before the game, the woman on the reception perked up and said "oh, you've the same name as the last man", meaning the guy she'd served immediately before me who was now stood a few feet away waiting for the lift.
"What, [Sid]?"
"No, exactly the same name, [Sid Sidney]."
"Oh wow" turned to man "hi mate"
"Hi"

Never met him before or since. What a tale.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Last season when I checked into my hotel in Marseille before the game, the woman on the reception perked up and said "oh, you've the same name as the last man", meaning the guy she'd served immediately before me who was now stood a few feet away waiting for the lift.
"What, [Sid]?"
"Hi"

We had a similar experience at the Big Cat Sanctuary three years ago. We’d booked the overnight chalet stay.
We’d arrived, booked in and shown to our chalet.
Ten minutes later, there was a knock at the door, from a ranger with another couple.

Can we check your name? Mr B. What is your first name? T.
Identical names, and later at dinner, it turned out they were from a similar region in the country.

Fortunately the two lodges, were identical in quality, because some covid restrictions were still in place, and I had already used the bathroom facilities.

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Years ago I was working for a catering equipment company in East Worthing and we were doing an expo in London.
We hired a removal firm to get all our equipment up there and I had to meet them early doors and travel up with them, never met them before.
Introduced myself as Ian and asked their names, guy next to me was also called Ian.
A bit of small talk and I asked where in Worthing he was from, he said he had just moved from London down to Durrington, which happened to be where I grew up.
He started talking about a neighbour called Marie, I said my old neighbour had the same name. Turned out he had moved into my late Mum's house and his room was my old bedroom. He was really creeped out by the whole thing.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A friend of mine who was adopted, recently met up with a brother who he was unaware of who had tracked him down. The brother lives up north. My friend travelled up to meet him and his partner went as well. When they swapped life stories, the partner and the lost brother realized they had grown up together as next door neighbors in Tonbridge Wells. Weird.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
No one will beat this...
DJ in The Pink Elephant, Magalluf in the 80's I returned to the UK late 90's. In 2008 wife and I went to the Dominican Republic for a holiday, one of the lads who I worked with in Magalluf had always said he wanted to go there. Anyway, one week in to our holiday I was in the pool and heard a shout of 'Is that Colin?', you've guessed it my mate from Mallorca. We hugged, chatted and had a few beers and agreed to meet up later that evening. We walked back to our rooms, same hotel block, same level, they were in the room next to us.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
In September 2000, I spent the night before our wedding in my best man's flat in Brighton. We'd met a few years previously, and there was no long-lasting connection - familial or otherwise - between us. Inexplicably, my parents lived in the same flat in the late 1960s.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I bought a statue of a goosander at a gallery. As I carried the statue home I walked past a river and on the river was a real goosander. I had never seen a goosander on that river before or since. Spooky.

1727345947704.png

In case you were wondering, like I was.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My Dad was 27yrs & 6 months when I was born (his first child)
I was 27yrs & 6 months when my first child was born

In fact the exact difference is just 9 days

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Sitting on a beach with my wife and kids in Mallorca, 1999. Started chatting to a couple our age sitting next to us who had older kids. Turns out they are from Coventry, same street that my wife lived in in 1975. The woman used to play in the street with my wife's older sister!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
When I was at school I had to do a local history project. I borrowed a book from the library's local history section and that evening used it as the main source for my schoolwork. That night, I had a dream I was in the graveyard of a nearby church. There was an arched gravestone where two paths met. In the dream, I was trying to make out the name on the gravestone but it was blurred. Next day, of course, I went down to the churchyard - and there was the gravestone exactly as I'd seen it in my dream. It was the grave of the man who had written the book I'd been reading the night before.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
When I was at school I had to do a local history project. I borrowed a book from the library's local history section and that evening used it as the main source for my schoolwork. That night, I had a dream I was in the graveyard of a nearby church. There was an arched gravestone where two paths met. In the dream, I was trying to make out the name on the gravestone but it was blurred. Next day, of course, I went down to the churchyard - and there was the gravestone exactly as I'd seen it in my dream. It was the grave of the man who had written the book I'd been reading the night before.

Did you also get a visit from 3 ghosts, past, present and future? Did you know any special needs children named Tim?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
"What, [Sid]?"
"Hi"

I lived in a static caravan in the woods for a year. There were three other caravans. Two of which were occupied by girls with identical names. I've never met anyone else with that name before or since.

It was a nightmare for the postie!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here