Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

coeliac disease!!!

newcastle brown

Jan 15, 2010
ive just been diagnosed with coeliac disease, which is an allergy to wheat and gluten(no more bread and no more beer!!! :down: ) any help where i can get proper tasting food from???

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
most supermarkets now have a section for gluten free food.

try using gram flour in recipes - most indian breads and batters use it so plenty of cooking options.

good luck - it's a real pain because it does limit your choices, especially when eating out, but there are loads more things available now than there used to be

coeliac's impacts on health in different ways but stick to the diet because you will feel a lot better

Last edited:

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
there is a silver lining to your cloud

my mrs and 2 of my kids are coeliac, it means we eat proper meals, veg meat and salad almost everyday, never fall back on easy to cook processed shite like fish fingers and shit sausages (M&S make 100% meat sausages, as do every otheer country in the world except us) . recently the quality of GF bread and pasta has gone thru the roof, you can get great GF bread and almost as good pasta, whats more u can get it on scrip if you ask your doc.

there are worse crosses to bear in life!!

newcastle brown

Jan 15, 2010
THANKS for the concern on the alcohol aspect :laugh: but on a more serious note, what about food??? looked in tesco's in Lewes, not a great choice :shrug: but i've found this local to lewes. anybody heard off/used?????

Steph's Free From Cakes

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
go to the cake shop crumbs (is it school hill?\\\\) they have made gf cakes for my kids birthdays for the last 5 yrs or so .. fukn delicious

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Most large supermarkets should have a gluten free section. Asda at the marina and Sainsburys in Newhaven definitely do. They offer a selection of foods-rice pasta, rice noodles, sauces, stock cubes, cakes, biscuits etc. The breads not too tasty but is edible. It's quite surprising how many things gluten/wheat is in but once you've got yourself sorted you'll be fine. As PHCgull says you'll start eating really healthily.

Stattoseagull

Banned
Feb 25, 2007
Plumpton Green
I was diagnosed about 30 years ago when I was in my teens. In those days bread was out of a tin and barely edible. How things have changed since then.
First thing to do is become a member of the coeliac society - They are very supportive and a charlty well worth supporting when doing sponsored events. They will provide you with a book which will become your food bible - It lists all gluten free products by supermarket and in many other ways and is updated online monthly.
Secondly I would buy a breadmaker - GF flour is available on prescription and with a bit of trial and error you will have fresh bread when required - You will not be able to tell the difference. Have a good chat with your Doc, the list of gf products is very good these days with pasta, biscuits etc.. readily available. Buy an annual prescription card (It's about £100)
The 'Free From' ranges in most supermarkets have improved beyond recognition in recent years with both quantity and quality and outside of these areas new directive for food labeling is in place and before long you will be able to look at all products in a supermarket and it will have to state if the product contains gluten or not as the case may be.
As far as drinking is concerned I can confirm all cider is gf (pear cider can provide a good alternative). All spirits are OK aswell. If you like lager try this site - It's not 'Stella' but still very drinkable - new range on the way aswell.
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need any help with anything else
Here's looking forward to 3 points this afternoon.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I was diagnosed about 30 years ago when I was in my teens. In those days bread was out of a tin and barely edible. How things have changed since then.
First thing to do is become a member of the coeliac society - They are very supportive and a charlty well worth supporting when doing sponsored events. They will provide you with a book which will become your food bible - It lists all gluten free products by supermarket and in many other ways and is updated online monthly.
Secondly I would buy a breadmaker - GF flour is available on prescription and with a bit of trial and error you will have fresh bread when required - You will not be able to tell the difference. Have a good chat with your Doc, the list of gf products is very good these days with pasta, biscuits etc.. readily available. Buy an annual prescription card (It's about £100)
The 'Free From' ranges in most supermarkets have improved beyond recognition in recent years with both quantity and quality and outside of these areas new directive for food labeling is in place and before long you will be able to look at all products in a supermarket and it will have to state if the product contains gluten or not as the case may be.
As far as drinking is concerned I can confirm all cider is gf (pear cider can provide a good alternative). All spirits are OK aswell. If you like lager try this site - It's not 'Stella' but still very drinkable - new range on the way aswell.
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need any help with anything else
Here's looking forward to 3 points this afternoon.

As a fellow Coeliac I have to say you've covered all angles pretty well .:thumbsup:
Also" Genius" gluten-free bread ( available from Tesco) is very palatable and much better than any other g f bread on the market.

Last edited:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Welcome fellow Coeliac!! In fact there will be a number of others on NSC who are Coeliacs but dont realise it!! It's around 1 in 100.

I got diagnosed at 40 (nearly 3 years ago as it took a year to diagnose!), following a major session in Cologne during World Cup 2006, drinking Erdinger wheat beer for 5 days!!

Seems a bit daunting at first, but you get used to the regime.

On the supermarkets I tend to avoid the supermarket branded free from stuff. Expensive and not great taste (particularly the breads/rolls etc).

As someone else said, Genius gluten free bread has been a revelation since coming to the market c6 months ago (available Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda, Waitrose). The first time GF shop bought bread tastes anything like normal bread, and doesnt crumble after 2 days. The other manufacturers are going to have to pull their socks up!!

One tip I would give is to get a monthly GF repeat prescription from your GP. Presuming you pay for your prescriptions you can get a quarterly (C £28) or annual (C£100) pre pay cert and you can get c18 items per month assuming you are an adult male. You can get staples i.e. pasta, spaghetti, bread, flour and the like as opposed to luxuries, but it works out a lot cheaper than the rip off prices the supermarkets charge. Most GPs will do it (if they are aware) but you might need to push the point with a few.

On the booze you will be fine with cider, wine and spirits (even whiskey as the barley is distilled). You can also have malt vinegar for the same reason.

Corona lager is also below the gluten free standard (confirmed in more progressive Sweden than UK on such issues).

Breakfast cereals- some own brand cornflakes/rice crispies are GF, but I like Eat Natural mix (expensive at £3 per bag) but delicious. Otherwise rice porridge is good.

Lunch-if you cant bring in your own bread etc, a jacket potato works well.

The other tip on Coeliac Society is also a good shout. If you can afford to, do subscribe or do some fund raising as they are helping raise the disease's profile which helps no end as far as us as a consumer group is concerned.

Finally do get a follow up endescopy after a year, to ensure your villi are growing back, and thereafter have regular blood tests to make sure you are keeping it in check.

If you have or are contemplating kids, its a c1 in 10 chance that you will pass it on, so keep an eye on them in case they show any symptoms.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

hugbug

Mar 6, 2010
Can you drink budweiser, and if so, which one?

I have been told by someone who has been recently diagnosed that you can drink budweiser - can anyone confirm?:tantrum::tantrum:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[yt]AsV5NljzUIk[/yt]

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I have been told by someone who has been recently diagnosed that you can drink budweiser - can anyone confirm?:tantrum::tantrum:

Dont think so. The only one of the major brands I understand to be v low in gluten is Corona.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here