Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cocktails

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When you buy a cocktail, and the cocktail maker sticks a straw in the drink to taste their creation, have you ever seen them subsequently display unhappiness and add some more ingredients to make it taste right? I haven't. Am I missing something?

Lush

Mods' Pet
When you buy a cocktail, and the cocktail maker sticks a straw in the drink to taste their creation, have you ever seen them subsequently display unhappiness and add some more ingredients to make it taste right? I haven't. Am I missing something?

I've NEVER seen this in many years of cocktail drinking. And given the price of cocktails, if anyone tried it they'd get a glare and a demand for a discount. And lot of cocktails are 'layered' anyway so how do you know by tasting? And if you're a good cocktail maker shouldn't you know you got it right?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
A good cocktail bar tender will ALWAYS dip a straw in the cocktail and taste their creation before serving it. I think some of you have the impression we put a straw in and take a massive big slurp!! Thats not what the OP meant i suggest? We dip the straw in, with the other end covered with our thumb, this creates a vaccum that pulls a TINY amount of the liquid into it, we then remove the straw and then taste, then when we know the drink is perfect..we will serve it...enjoy!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've never seen anyone taste them - if someone drank from my drink with a straw I'd be proper pissed off

They don't drink from the straw, but dip a straw in, taste the end then throw it away. Go to Valentinos on New Rd and you'll see what I mean.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
*Crosses Valentinos off 'place to go for cocktails' list*

Ah, please dont. At least not without trying it. Hotel Du Vin is my favourite but Valentinos is alright and it has a good crowd.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
*Crosses Valentinos off 'place to go for cocktails' list*

Valentinos is amazing. The best cocktails I've ever had. I have even seen them add something after tasting it. I guess it's the same as chefs, you always see Ramsay telling chefs to taste their food on Kitchen Nightmares.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've never drunk a cocktail, even at cocktail parties. Are they not for women and faggots?
Yes. Yes they are. And I may be doing him a disservice, but I do believe the starter of this thread also has a man-bag.

Signed Brovion, a man who's idea of sophistication is a pint of Harveys with a cherry in it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. Yes they are. And I may be doing him a disservice, but I do believe the starter of this thread also has a man-bag.

I have two, and a man purse.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
A good cocktail bar tender will ALWAYS dip a straw in the cocktail and taste their creation before serving it. I think some of you have the impression we put a straw in and take a massive big slurp!! Thats not what the OP meant i suggest? We dip the straw in, with the other end covered with our thumb, this creates a vaccum that pulls a TINY amount of the liquid into it, we then remove the straw and then taste, then when we know the drink is perfect..we will serve it...enjoy!

I think what is being suggested here, is that the drink is suspiciously "perfect" every time without fail.
This would be like a wine connoisseur liking every wine they tasted, to some extent. Thus, there's a feeling that it's kinda bullshit done just to look the part.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Incidentally - and related - I had a habit of holding straws and chewing them, which was probably an effect left over from stopping smoking.
Often the straws would have a bitter taste, a chemical residue of some sort.
I have a feeling that cocktail drinks are 'doctored' to make you drink more. Also ice-cubes with a salty taste. I have a deep distrust of the alcohol/bar business

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Incidentally - and related - I had a habit of holding straws and chewing them, which was probably an effect left over from stopping smoking.
Often the straws would have a bitter taste, a chemical residue of some sort.
I have a feeling that cocktail drinks are 'doctored' to make you drink more. Also ice-cubes with a salty taste. I have a deep distrust of the alcohol/bar business
You remind me a bit of an old friend of mine from schooldays. He only drank water and wouldn't touch beer because "they put some crap in it that makes you want more!"

Something for the Illuminati to investigate? I smell a conspiracy theory coming on ...

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
You remind me a bit of an old friend of mine from schooldays. He only drank water and wouldn't touch beer because "they put some crap in it that makes you want more!"

Something for the Illuminati to investigate? I smell a conspiracy theory coming on ...

Beer? Well really I was referring to cocktails, but there's 'chemical' beer and real ale, and I never drink more than time allows, or my body/brain reaction - so that's 3 pints a night for me.
Pubs sell or lay on salted peanuts, hot mixture of nuts and sticks and stuff, crisps etc to make you blood pressure soar and your dehydrated brain sorer.
But yes, the drinks could well contain sodiums and whatever else to make you chew your dry tongue for more more more. Probably beer too. It's a large amount of liquid to feel the need to quaff all evening with a constant jug in the hand, if you look at it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes a place in Cardiff, when she added some more mint once !!

I went to the Mandarin Oriental Bar in London last night and was surprised they make the cocktails away from the bar ! Makes you suspicious especially at £16 a pop

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here