Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS - let's be honest people...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It's all about opinions I suppose, but I disagree and really rate CMS. Very happy to have him at the club and think he has a lot to offer. My feeling is that he'll score a lot next year and I hope Gus doesn't move him on.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If he is going to make it at the highest level, he is going to need an ALICE BAND.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
People that think CMS is not good enough for this league are bloody clueless.

Bridcutt got a lot of plaudits last season but in my mind he needs to take a few chances for himself as well.

Strikers are not the issue here, the midfield is. We need another Bridcutt IMO So we can let Vicente do his job without our midfield getting exposed behind him. Personally I would give Bridcutt a more free role to push forward and have another defensive midfielder sit in the holding role

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He was credited with the goal, but he knew nothing about it! :D

But it's the right start. If he scores 5 in 7 preseason it will do wonders for his confidence. It doesn't matter how you score them as long as you score them.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He was very good during the first 10 games or so when we played 2 up front. Then we started shipping goals, Gus put an extra man in midfield and left CMS up front on his own. From that point on he struggled. Gus experimented with a big man playing alongside him, there was a brief moment when Paynter's flick on led to his shot against the bar against Barnsley, but obviously Paynter wasn't good enough and still left CMS isolated. Then his confidence went - perhaps around the time he missed the last minute one on one against Burnley, and eventually Gus dropped him to the bench. At that time little was coming off for us up front and we didn't win any of the last 10 games.

Gus knows he has to get this right. Whether we go back to 2 up front, whether to get the best out of CMS he will drop Barnes, who knows? But get rid is stupid.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Bearing in mind the fact that only Doncaster created fewer goalscoring chances in The Championship last season, how can you castigate him for failing to put away the chances that we failed so abysmally to create for him?

This - is absolutely spot on.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
He was very good during the first 10 games or so when we played 2 up front. Then we started shipping goals, Gus put an extra man in midfield and left CMS up front on his own. From that point on he struggled. Gus experimented with a big man playing alongside him, there was a brief moment when Paynter's flick on led to his shot against the bar against Barnsley, but obviously Paynter wasn't good enough and still left CMS isolated. Then his confidence went - perhaps around the time he missed the last minute one on one against Burnley, and eventually Gus dropped him to the bench. At that time little was coming off for us up front and we didn't win any of the last 10 games.

Gus knows he has to get this right. Whether we go back to 2 up front, whether to get the best out of CMS he will drop Barnes, who knows? But get rid is stupid.

100%

CMS was on fire early in the season. Quality finishes v Leeds, Blackpool , Palace etc. But Gus got spooked by our goal leakage and went rather defensive for a while.

We seem to have vastly improved our defence this summer, so hopefully we can risk being more attacking and get the ball to CMS quicker and more frequently, which will equal goals, goals, goals. :)

Stumpy Tim

My problem with CMS isn't the chances he missed. Though that was frustrating, it wasn't the big issue. The people who claim he didn't have enough chances kind of miss the point IMO. The way we play means all eleven players need to be part of the build-up play, including the striker. Unfortunately CMS has an awful first touch based on what we saw last season - so too often our moves would break down when the ball went near him. This would explain why he didn't have lots of chances - because he screwed up a large number of our moves.

On the plus side, he did say he was going to spend the off-season working hard to fit into our style of play. If he has improved his first touch, then he'll become part of the build-up, his confidence will go up, the number of chances he'll get will increase, and he'll score a load more. For me, it all comes back to his awful first touch. Improve that and we'll have a player, if he doesn't he'll be shipped out. Pre-season could be more important for his Albion career than anyone else's.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
I'll reserve judgement as he deserves another season at this level to prove himself.
Agree ! After a promising start to the season with a few goals and superb performance at Cardiff he had a disappointing season but let's see what happens over the next few months

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
the guy is class, he does not become bad in one season, we dont play to his strenghts, and until we do we wont see the best of him. I hope he stays and proves all the doubters wrong.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
People that think CMS is not good enough for this league are bloody clueless.

Bridcutt got a lot of plaudits last season but in my mind he needs to take a few chances for himself as well.

Strikers are not the issue here, the midfield is. We need another Bridcutt IMO So we can let Vicente do his job without our midfield getting exposed behind him. Personally I would give Bridcutt a more free role to push forward and have another defensive midfielder sit in the holding role

Why are they? What did CMS do last season to suggest he's anything more than a lower league player?

He's got an awful first touch and his finishing is atrocious. Yes he runs around allot but so did Gary Hart. At least Hart only cost us some sportswear.

You've got to give him the benefit of doubt for the reasons others have pointed out on this thread but if he has another season like the last then I'm afraid we've bought a dud!

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Why are they? What did CMS do last season to suggest he's anything more than a lower league player?

He's got an awful first touch and his finishing is atrocious. Yes he runs around allot but so did Gary Hart. At least Hart only cost us some sportswear.

You've got to give him the benefit of doubt for the reasons others have pointed out on this thread but if he has another season like the last then I'm afraid we've bought a dud!

It's not his first touch all. It's the way we play up to him that is the problem.

As for his finishing, yes I think he has been going through a bit of a Torres moment but if we play to his strengths and his confidence gets better he will be a great front man. You could see his frustration many times last season a lot of which were simply poor balls from the middle of the park

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
It is what Gus thinks that count
Considering Mackail-Smith was bought to be the main man and everything to revolve around him, was very surprised when he was put on the bench last season
It didn't seem to have the desired effect too as his form after getting back in the starting line-up didn't improve
Will be interesting to see how the first few games of the season pans out
I don't think Mackail-Smith will be the main man even though I desperately want him to succeed with us

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I couldn't be bothered to read the previous pages so I apologise if i'm repeating word-for-word someone elses comments, but CMS can NOT be judged on last season.

Point 1 - How many 'sitters' did he miss last season? I can't remeber ANY off the top of my head but I would say 3 at the most. So he wasn't MISSING chances.

Point 2 - He was being asked to do a job COMPLETELY different to that of a goal scorer. He was busting a bollock for the team and his work rate and commitment was PHENOMENAL for a player who wasn't scoring. That demonstrated absolute CLASS to me and that, the moment we get a strike partner for him, he will FLOURISH.

Point 3 - He will get SERVICE this season. If he has a 'bigger' striker (I dont want to say 'big man' as I don't think thats our style) he can rely on getting in the box and not contesting the headers etc. He will be FREEEE. Sitting in WSU you can see his BRILLIANT runs that he makes. He is constantly on the move.

Having a FULL season of VICENTE+another striker to do the donkey work+ another pre-season of learning our style =GOALZ

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
the guy is class, he does not become bad in one season, we dont play to his strenghts, and until we do we wont see the best of him. I hope he stays and proves all the doubters wrong.

I'm a doubter and I sincerely hope he proves me wrong - I would be as pleased as anyone, he is a terrific person to have in the team.

But when you say he does not become bad in one season, his only other previous season at this level ended in 10 league goals in 43 games and relegation. He's actually only played 2 full seasons in League One, with 50 league goals in 91 games, the rest was in League Two and non-league.

At 28, CMS has 179 league appearances at League One or above, and 69 league goals. In the Championship its 88 appearances 19 goals. Stats are stats and you can do with them what you will, but I think he is an exceptional League One striker who struggles against better defences in the Championship.

I notice someone said only Doncaster created less chances than us, but that didn't stop Billy Sharp getting 40 goals in 82 games...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here