Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS - let's be honest people...

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
OK This is gonna cause some reaction...

"I'm afraid that CMS is not good enough"

He may have cost a lot of cash but the facts are that we paid over the odds for a striker who is not QUITE what is required at this level. Sadly, as we have all seen, it's not a lack of effort on his part, so we need to move on.

In my opinion he is not QUITE quick enough. His movement and anticipation is not QUITE sophisticated enough. His first touch is not QUITE good enough and his finishing is not QUITE as sharp as we need.

He's a tremendous character and gives 100% but PLEASE stop idolising him.

We NEED another goal scorer to move to the next level. CMS is not the one.

You are right but the Bozza brown nosers will rip you to pieces

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Don't get me wrong, when he first signed i was as happy as anyone. Over the season for 1 reason or another it has just not worked. I would love him to be a success here but i cant see it happening. Gus has to take some of the blame. He paid a huge amount of money on a punt, when he could have taken the safe option of of Billy Sharp/Nicky Maynard type. Probably best for all parties to move on

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I do not think he was particularly poor last season. I think some fans had unfair expectations of him despite him stepping up a division while also getting to know a new system. Ashley Barnes and Glenn Murray had the end of one season, plus the pre-season before they both broke the 20 goal barrier in the Gus system.

CMS has had a pre-season in which he never had a settled team around him, then his lack of goals over the season as he got used to the system may have affected him.

I don't believe he was too slow, that I disagree with. His movement and anticipation will be assisted with comfort in the system and confidence. His first touch was not, imo, notable worse than most of our team last season, and his finishing, again, will come good with confidence.

I think he has the ability to be good enough, just needs the confidence that will come from a fresh start this season, and being familiar with the system Gus plays and learning from last season.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Bearing in mind the fact that only Doncaster created fewer goalscoring chances in The Championship last season, how can you castigate him for failing to put away the chances that we failed so abysmally to create for him?
You can bear that in mind if you like, but it's not really true is it? At least, it's not neccesarily true. Because shots on goal aren't chances. When we won League One I believe we were somewhere around mid table in the shot statistics of the league, but we scored I think the second most goals, and we had plenty of chances in virtually every game. Also if you remember the Peterborough home game last season, they had loads of shots, every time they got into our final third they were shooting. But they never looked like scoring, we were clearly the better team and won 2-0. Amount of shots doesn't equate to amount of chances.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
How many did he score when Vicente was in the team at the end of the season?

I don't know. But I feel with him and Vicente having a whole pre-season together and learning each other's games, it's only natural that more chances will fall his way.

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
I tend to agree. But also with the view we need to give him until January. If not cut our losses and sell. Hence the reason to take this 'risk' on Jordan Rhodes.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
So far he hasn't repaid his 2.5M fee but that is very different to....... not good enough! Quality Champ striker and not many of those around. 19 goals this season I reckon.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Would like to see a games to goals ratio (excluding penalties) of the whole league. Probably in top 20 in the league.

His first touch control is awful though. Don't think that will ever change especially as our game is to play to his feet, playing over the top avoids the problem of his first touch control.

His best game was against Burnley.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He's had one season to settle in to a new division, new team and a new style of play.

If he hasn't figured it out by January it's time to get rid.

But, another thread like this when there's been hundreds of others before it on exactly the same theme = dull. If you're going looking for a reaction, at least try it with something new.
Exactly this. Attention seeking thread, give him until Jan and if we're not still playing two defensive midfielders we should be creating more chances. I don't know why all these CMS threads have popped up all of a sudden? Were people hopeful that he'd turn it around but after an average performance in his first pre season friendly you've lost all hope?

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I disagree, the mans gonna be a legend, not sure what club it will be at.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
I'll reserve judgement as he deserves another season at this level to prove himself.

He's had two seasons in this league to prove himself,one with a team that suited his so called style of play(peterborough)and only 7 or 9 goals for them and one with us and i certainly didn't see any improvement with us as the season went on,in fact he got worse.Another season to see any improvement is to long in my eyes,i'll agree with the original poster and say this league is to much for him.

rjbseagull

Apr 27, 2010
Echoing what others have said how can you judge a player who has had no service?

I'd understand the criticism if he had missed a lot of chances, but the fact is he wasn't given the chances to miss. Is he the best technically? No. But what he does possess is instinct in and around the area, as he showed at Peterborough and at times with us. What he requires is the ball in and around the six yard box as he has the movement and awareness to deceive defenders and he rarely got that last season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He's had two seasons in this league to prove himself,one with a team that suited his so called style of play(peterborough)and only 7 or 9 goals for them and one with us and i certainly didn't see any improvement with us as the season went on,in fact he got worse.Another season to see any improvement is to long in my eyes,i'll agree with the original poster and say this league is to much for him.

7 or 9 ? Try 10 in 43 apps. But that was a Peterborough side that leaked goals, so difficult to play well if always on the back foot.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It seems strange to have a pop at a striker who scored yesterday. What's the point of that? Get behind the player. With better service he could easily score 20 goals in the Championship.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Would like to see a games to goals ratio (excluding penalties) of the whole league. Probably in top 20 in the league.

His first touch control is awful though. Don't think that will ever change especially as our game is to play to his feet, playing over the top avoids the problem of his first touch control.

His best game was against Burnley.
His best game was against Leeds imo. The problem with the ball over the top method of 'playing to his strengths' (which happened at least a few times last season) is that he appears to have neither the pace to get sufficiently far away from Championship defenders, nor the strength or skill to hold them off. When you look at compilations of his goals for Peterborough so many were scored in this way and with 6 yard box goals (when we put the ball into these areas he seems to be nowhere) you do wonder how he'll be able to score more than about 10 goals a season in the Championship.

Hopefully he will though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here