Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule

Haven't seen this else where, to me still seems a bit weak, as far as I am aware other EU nations have more than 4 home grown players in their squads, I doubt it will have little noticable diffeence in the League, unless the quota is bulked up. 1 for effort.

Clubs vote for 'home-grown' rule

On-loan Wolves defender Michael Mancienne would qualify as home-grown
The Football League has voted overwhelmingly in favour of implementing new quotas on home-grown players from the start of next season.

At least four players in every 16-man match-day squad will have to have been registered domestically for at least three years before their 21st birthday.

Football League chairman Lord Mawhinney praised the clubs for their decision.

"Players coming through will have a greater chance to demonstrate their talent at first-team level," he said.

The new rule is in line with Uefa's approach and means players who have spent long enough registered to a domestic club will be considered as "home grown" regardless of their nationality.

Fifa had proposed a "six-plus-five" rule - which would have limited the number of foreign players to five - but this ran into problems with European law.

"I would like to compliment Football League clubs for having the foresight to make changes that will benefit the wider game," added Mawhinney.

"League clubs are at the forefront of developing young playing talent for the domestic game and are investing more than £40m a season in this important area."

The Football League proposal was voted in at a meeting at Derby County's Pride Park ground.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Could we cope with these demands with Adams in charge???

Virgo - Will start whatever
Elphick - will start most games
Cox - will play some part in most games
El Abd - will be in most sqauds
Sullivan - wont play loads and wont be named on the bench if not starting
Robinson - limited squad chances
Fraser - limited squad chances
Gargan - limited squad chances
Cook - limited squad chances
Mayo - probably not with us
Hinshlewood - will he get a contract into next season, should feature in the squad most games
Lynch - will he be with us next season?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Could we cope with these demands with Adams in charge???

Virgo - Will start whatever
Elphick - will start most games
Cox - will play some part in most games
El Abd - will be in most sqauds
Sullivan - wont play loads and wont be named on the bench if not starting
Robinson - limited squad chances
Fraser - limited squad chances
Gargan - limited squad chances
Cook - limited squad chances
Mayo - probably not with us
Hinshlewood - will he get a contract into next season, should feature in the squad most games
Lynch - will he be with us next season?
They don't have to be home grown to the particular club, they just need to have been in England from at least 18.

Kuipers wouldn't count, not sure about Hawkins/Thornton/Thomson.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I personally think it's a step in the right direction. Anything to make football a bit more competitive and level is good in my mind.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
4 out of 16 is a bit weak though.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It's a pretty watered down version of 6+5 really.

As they pointed out on Radio 5 this morning, someone like Cesc Fabregas would count as homegrown under this rule (as he'd been registered with Arsenal for 3 years by the time he was 21).

Doesn't really carry much weight; is already the case in almost all Football League clubs anyway; and if extended to the Premiership would just lead to clubs snapping up even MORE overseas prospects around the age of 17/18, to make them 'homegrown' in case they turn out worth having.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Question to all the legal bods here - is that actually legal??

I don't know anything about these kind of things, but I would assume so. It's not as if they are discriminating against a certain nationality, just stating they have to have been in the country for a certain number of years (just like you have to be to gain British citizenship I would have thought).

Mar 13, 2008
This is just the start. The rules will get tougher.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
On the news the spokesperson from the FA, or whoever it was, stated that if there was an attempt to bring this in for the Premiership it would result in a legal challenge. I could see this being challenged next season anyway, depending on who gets relegated from the Premiership, can't see them wanting to have to get rid of players and bring in more naturalised Brits just to satisfy the league requirements. I am sure that there are laws to combat this sort of descrimination, might losely be described as restrictive practice, which must go against European law.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
surely this is a handicap for the FL. Won't this mean that the quality of the FL will just get lower and lower while the quality of the premirship gets higher and higher

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Restriction of trade surely?

Agree with Don. The non-league is booming as they are seeing better quality players who may have been plying their trade in the FL if we had not had such an influx of foreign counterparts.

Am I for it? Possibly. I am not quite sure why there is the emphasis on foreign players though... Is it wage linked?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
There was an interesting article by Martin Samuel in the Times on this a couple of weeks ago:

At first glance, there would seem to be few negatives in the plan announced by Lord Mawhinney, chairman of the Football League, to introduce quotas of four home-grown players in every match-day 16, starting next season. Look closer, though, and wonder.

The rule would make no impression at all on clubs in the two lowest divisions, who already comply, and would affect only a handful of clubs in the Coca-Cola Championship, mainly those who have just arrived from the Barclays Premier League or have ambitions to join it.

So Reading have a lot of foreign players, as do Queens Park Rangers. The rest, not so much. The starting team put out by Wolverhampton Wanderers, the league leaders, against Sheffield United had seven Englishmen, two Irishmen and two Scotsmen; United had seven Englishmen, two Irishmen and one each from Scotland and Wales. Not a player from outside Great Britain and Ireland in either starting lineup.

The Football League is rightly proud that 14 of the 23 England players in Berlin to play Germany last month were products of Football League clubs. Even a sure-fire future England player, Jack Wilshere, spent his earliest years at Luton Town before moving into Arsenal’s academy system. So because no real problem exists, is this whole scheme not more grandstanding from a politician keen to attach his name to a populist cause and to score a point off the Premier League, which opposes the quota system?

In almost every area of Mawhinney’s jurisdiction his regulation will be meaningless. “We believe it is time for the Football League to make an unequivocal statement,” Mawhinney said. For “the Football League”, read “me”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here