Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CLASSIC quote from McGhee...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
...last night on SCR, when talking about Gary Elphick.

"Of course the lads very down at the moment. But I want him to look back and remember the positive things from his debut, and not just the fact that he got sent off and we lost 5-1."

:lolol: :lolol:

Last edited:

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Easy 10 said:

"Of course the lads very down at the moment. But I want him to look back and remember the positive things from his debut, and not the just fact that he got sent off and we lost 5-1."

:lol:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
:lolol: its almost as bad as Woodgates first Madrid match....so he can take a positive that he did'nt score an own goal!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

classic

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I thought a funnier line from McGhee was that it wasn't 5-4-1, it was 3-4-3 that we were playing

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
shaolinpunk said:
I thought a funnier line from McGhee was that it wasn't 5-4-1, it was 3-4-3 that we were playing

even the official website says it was 5-4-1

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Easy 10 said:

"Of course the lads very down at the moment. But I want him to look back and remember the positive things from his debut, and not just the fact that he got sent off and we lost 5-1."

I guess what he's saying is that as a centre half you look at the personal battles, so how the forwards you are marking have done. In the 50 mins he played - against a strike force that is marching towards the Premiership - none of them scored a goal.

MM will ALWAYS look for a positive in every situation, and that is part of his job, and why none of us could do it. He can't sit there on the coach home going, "f*** me we're in the shit." He has to start preparing the players for Friday and that means gettiong them feeling good about themselves, so that they go onto the field vs Hull feeling confident we can beat them.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
tommy boy said:
pah, what do they know?

if mcghee says is was 3-4-3, then we played 3-4-3

not his fault our players were all out of position is it?

I wasn't at the game, but I don't understand why everyone is getting so hung up on this point. Surely the reality is that the two wider front men in a 3-4-3 drop back when we are not in possession. Therefore it becomes a 3-4-3 when we are going forward, but more defensive, perhaps a 5-4-1 when we are not in possession. If Reading had most of the game in the 1st half, then it would l;ook more like the latter.

For Christ sake McGhee knows what formation he sent out there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The biggest problem was the indecision of MM.

Everybody even my wife, knows that as soon as Reading get the ball they either lauch it forward in the air for Kitson or give it to Little or Convey to run at the full backs. Reading did both yesterday very successfully so much so that Elphick was outplayed, out fought and outclassed and it was just a matter of time before he would get sent off after a booking so early and then continually doing exactly the same thing.

Questions for MM.

Why did he not bring in either Mayo or Rents, who can both play full back to combat Little if he wanted to defend for a draw and when he realised, assuming he did, that Elphick was so short of pace , experience and ability did he not change the system around and bring on a 2nd striker up front at half time. He could have protected Elphick by explaing that he was making a tactical change rather than you were not up to it or good enough.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Ive always thought he was a reactive manager than a proactive, he should have done something after the first 20 when it was clear his interesting formation was not working.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Gritt23 said:
I wasn't at the game, but I don't understand why everyone is getting so hung up on this point. Surely the reality is that the two wider front men in a 3-4-3 drop back when we are not in possession. Therefore it becomes a 3-4-3 when we are going forward, but more defensive, perhaps a 5-4-1 when we are not in possession. If Reading had most of the game in the 1st half, then it would l;ook more like the latter.

For Christ sake McGhee knows what formation he sent out there.

If only ...

If Hart and Reid were wide players, why were they still at full-back when we had the ball? Why were Frutos and Carole never up with Knight?

McGhee's formation was a disaster - unfortunately, his ego was too big for him to change it when this became clear. Elphick should have come off for Kazim-Richards, but McGhee once again left the substitution too late and we paid.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Repugnant Toad said:
If only ...

McGhee's formation was a disaster - unfortunately, his ego was too big for him to change it when this became clear. Elphick should have come off for Kazim-Richards, but McGhee once again left the substitution too late and we paid.

Agreed after 30 minutes and the umpteenth time that Elphick had held somebody back or at the worst at half time. MM usually gives them 5 mins in the 2nd half before making a substitution. on this occassion it was costly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here