Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Classic bands/artists you've seen

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Saw The Cure play The Waters Edge in Tilgate Park in Crawley when 3 Imaginary Boys was released.

When they were more famous saw Siouxsie, The Cure and Spizz at the Centre which was a fab gig.

Saw XTC during the power cut gig at the Top Rank, as well as dozens of other times - one of our favourites.

New Order, Mondays, ACR at the Gmex.

Tons of others, but people idea of classic obviously varies.

As a Cure tragic seeing them in Crawley with presumably Michael Dempsey on bass gets my vote for this tread's ultimate respect - kudos to you sir, kudos.....

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Exact dates are a little uncertain for some, but:

Hawkwind 1974 @ Worthing Town Hall (my first ever gig)
Cockney Rebel, 1975 @ Brighton Dome (supported by Chris de Burgh!!!)
The Clash - 11 times in late 1970s/early 1980s @ first Anti-Nazi League Rally (Victoria Park, East London), Brighton Centre, Crawley Leisure Centre and others.
Thin Lizzy @ Brighton Dome, 1977/1978 (Bad Reputation tour)
The Stranglers - 22 times altogether, but mostly in late 1970s until
mid-1980s @ supporting The Who at Wembley Stadium, Brighton Top Rank, Brighton Centre, Crawley Leisure Centre, Brixton Academy, Sheffield City Hall, Leeds University, etc.
New Order, 1980s @ Brighton Jenkinsons (their first tour), Sheffield City Hall, Birmingham NEC (supported by Happy Mondays)
Sisters of Mercy, 1984 @ Leeds University.
Killing Joke, early 1970s to present day (!) @ Brighton Jenkinsons, London Astoria, Leeds University, Leeds Futurama Festival (1983) Bristol Bierkellar, Bristol The Fleece, Bristol Academy (two months ago).
Blondie, 1979 in Portsmouth.
The Cure, 1980s in Brighton, Crawley Leisure Centre and Glastonbury (1986).
Crass, 1980, Brighton Concorde
Siouxsie and the Banshees, 1982, Brighton Centre.
Nirvana, (1992?) @ Reading Festival.
The Fall, mid-1980s until early 1990s @ Leeds University, Reading Festival, Bath Hush Club, Bristol University.
The Mission, mid-1980s @ Leeds University, Brixton Academy.
The Jam late 1970s/early 1980s, various in Brighton and Crawley Leisure Centre.
Placebo, late 1990s @ Bristol Colston Hall, Reading Festival.
Morrissey, Bristol Colston Hall (1995), London Festival Hall (2004).

Quite a few bands I've seen several times over the last 30 years, but can't remember exact dates or venues, because they kinda blur together: Psychedelic Furs, Gang of Four, Half Man Half Biscuit, Wire, The Wedding Present, The Mekons, Echo and the Bunnyymen, Chumbawumba.

Last edited:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Would love to have seen that band! Didnt know theyd played Brighton. Nice one!

If I remember right this was back in 1971, they are one of my all time favourite bands and they put on a typical Faces gig. The Top Rank Suite was packed (it wasn't that big anyway) and it was almost like being in a packed crowd in the North Stand at the Goldstone. Noisy, funny, loud and great banter from Rod and the boys.
The support band was Nazareth, at the time a little known scottish heavy rock outfit. They came on stage and were the loudest band I'd ever heard, unfortunately their PA system couldn't cope and kept breaking down mid song. They gave up after the third breakdown with the lead singer, Dan McCafferty, saying "Fook this" and they all walked off stage.

:lolol:

Last edited:

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Loads as I am an Old Git, but the real memorable ones...

The Who, David Bowie, Genesis, Hawkwind, Rory Gallagher at Worthing Assembly Halls 1973-1978

Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Deep Purple, Bad Company - Brighton Dome

The Who Charlton 1974 ?

Beach Boys, The Who, Snow Patrol - Brighton Centre

REM - Carioca Worthing (first ever UK gig I think)

Led Zeppelin - Knebworth 1979, simply the best concert I have ever seen

arhh those memories

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Exact dates are a little uncertain for some, but:

Hawkwind 1974 @ Worthing Town Hall (my first ever gig)
Cockney Rebel, 1975 @ Brighton Dome (supported by Chris de Burgh!!!)
The Clash - 11 times in late 1970s/early 1980s @ first Anti-Nazi League Rally (Victoria Park, East London), Brighton Centre, Crawley Leisure Centre and others.
Thin Lizzy @ Brighton Dome, 1977/1978 (Bad Reputation tour)
The Stranglers - 22 times altogether, but mostly in late 1970s until
mid-1980s @ supporting The Who at Wembley Stadium, Brighton Top Rank, Brighton Centre, Crawley Leisure Centre, Brixton Academy, Sheffield City Hall, Leeds University, etc.
New Order, 1980s @ Brighton Jenkinsons (their first tour), Sheffield City Hall, Birmingham NEC (supported by Happy Mondays)
Sisters of Mercy, 1984 @ Leeds University.
Killing Joke, early 1970s to present day (!) @ Brighton Jenkinsons, London Astoria, Leeds University, Leeds Futurama Festival (1983) Bristol Bierkellar, Bristol The Fleece, Bristol Academy (two months ago).
Blondie, 1979 in Portsmouth.
The Cure, 1980s in Brighton, Crawley Leisure Centre and Glastonbury (1986).
Crass, 1980, Brighton Concorde
Siouxsie and the Banshees, 1982, Brighton Centre.
Nirvana, (1992?) @ Reading Festival.
The Fall, mid-1980s until early 1990s @ Leeds University, Reading Festival, Bath Hush Club, Bristol University.
The Mission, mid-1980s @ Leeds University, Brixton Academy.
The Jam late 1970s/early 1980s, various in Brighton and Crawley Leisure Centre.
Placebo, late 1990s @ Bristol Colston Hall, Reading Festival.
Morrissey, Bristol Colston Hall (1995), London Festival Hall (2004).

Quite a few bands I've seen several times over the last 30 years, but can't remember exact dates or venues, because they kinda blur together: Psychedelic Furs, Gang of Four, Half Man Half Biscuit, Wire, The Wedding Present, The Mekons, Echo and the Bunnyymen, Chumbawumba.

:bowdown:

boik

As a Cure tragic seeing them in Crawley with presumably Michael Dempsey on bass gets my vote for this tread's ultimate respect - kudos to you sir, kudos.....

Indeed. Wasn't at the famous bandstand in Queens Square gig. I was also at a "secret" gig at the Marquee where Robert played guitar for his milkman friend who went under the name of "Cult Hero". Seeing Mr Smith play Gary Glitter covers was most surreal!!!!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Not really relevant the thread title, but i am having another late night scotch and youtube evening.

This bloke is the dogs do dahs !

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Following on from the bands/artists you wish you'd seen thread, what classic ones did you see in their prime?

I'm particularly thinking about Joy Division, Sex Pistols (not the reunions), the Clash, Nirvana, Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd, Ziggy-era Bowie, Hendrix, the Beatles... etc

Would be great to hear some first-hand accounts. Had a friend (who sadly died from cancer a couple of years back) who saw the Who at Leeds gig that was recorded for the album, and also saw the Floyd in about 68.

The Who at Liverpool - the gig before the Live at Leeds; Pink Floyd - World premier of Atom Heart Mother (Bath Festival (fore-runner of Glastonburyu) 1970 - with full orchestra and chorus at dawn); Jethreo Tull; Derek and the Dominoes; Hendrix at the Isle of Wight 1970; Deep Purple; Fairport Convention (before the car crash); Michael Chapman; The Rolling Stones; The Crazy World of Arthur Brown; Chicken Shack; Lou Reed; The Velevet Underground; The Byrds; Rory Gallagher; 10cc; Donovan; Jefferson Airplane; Zeppelin; Status Quo (before they were famous); Peter Frampton and The Herd; Chris Farlowe..........................

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
At last count I have seen Iron Maiden 19 times from 1982 onwards. Highlights would be trying to convince my wife that it was pure coincidence that they were playing a gig in Paris the same time I booked our holiday. Also had the pleasure of being flown by Bruce Dickinson to a gig in Dublin in 2003. Also saw them play a tiny warm up gig at the 2000 capacity Shepherds Bush Empire back in 2000 when the very next gig they played was in front of 250,000 at Rock In Rio.

Would loved to have seen Thin Lizzy with Phil Lynott and Rainbow with Ronnie James Dio. Tragically I never got to see The Stranglers in their late 70's prime.

Just one day at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970:-

John Sebastian
Shawn Phillips
Lighthouse
Joni Mitchell
Tiny Tim
Miles Davis
Ten Years After
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
The Doors
The Who
Sly & the Family Stone
Melanie

That was the Saturday. I was there for the full Wednesday to Sunday experience, so also caught (on Sunday):-

Good News
Kris Kristofferson
Ralph McTell
Heaven
Free
Donovan
Pentangle
The Moody Blues
Jethro Tull
Jimi Hendrix
Joan Baez
Leonard Cohen
Richie Havens

... and whoever performed on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

'twas OK.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
At last count I have seen Iron Maiden 19 times from 1982 onwards. Highlights would be trying to convince my wife that it was pure coincidence that they were playing a gig in Paris the same time I booked our holiday. Also had the pleasure of being flown by Bruce Dickinson to a gig in Dublin in 2003. Also saw them play a tiny warm up gig at the 2000 capacity Shepherds Bush Empire back in 2000 when the very next gig they played was in front of 250,000 at Rock In Rio.

Would loved to have seen Thin Lizzy with Phil Lynott and Rainbow with Ronnie James Dio. Tragically I never got to see The Stranglers in their late 70's prime.

Bloody hell ! I saw Lynott and Lizzy, my first ever gig, Bournemouth Winter gardens 1977/78 - but I think with your list for you to have seen that too would just have been greedy

The pick of mine are
Thin Lizzy - Bournemouth 77/78
Genesis - Brighton Centre Duke 1980
Six of the Best - Milton Keynes Bowl in the pissing rain circa 1982
The Smiths - Brighton Dome around 1984/5
David Bowie - Reality Tour Manchester
Peter Gabriel - about six or seven times altogether including back to back nights on the UP tour
Gary Moore - Concorde 2 - his last show in Brighton
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Hammersmith this year and last year
and every time I have seen Joe Bonammassa in the past five years

Queen, Quo, Bad Company, Wishbone Ash, Manfred Mann, Dion, UFO, Genesis, The Who, The Stones, Rolf Harris, The Stranglers, Be-Bop Deluxe, Blondie, Tom Jones, BB King, Gary Glitter, Gary Newman, Duran Duran, Tony Blackburn, Boney M, Mud, The Lurkers, Skids, Big country, Texas hippie coalition, Devo, Muse, AC/DC, Rush, 10cc, Prince, INXS, Deacon blue, Jonny Winter, Shirley Bassey, Ted Nugent, Journey, Deep Purple, White Snake, The Police, Crowded House, B52s, Ken Dodd, Graham Parker, The The

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Trying to get them in but recently (over last couple of years) Stevie Wonder, Martha Reeves and the vandellas, Bad Mannera, The Stranglers, Sparks, Elton John, Frankie Valli, Beach Boys in Sept, Alice Cooper, Motorhead, Joan Jett.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Anyone see Adam and the Ants at the Brighton Centre early 80's? I got dragged along with a girlfriend, loads of kids dressed in buccaneer type stuff with horizontal paint stripes across their faces........weird but strangely enjoyable. Am I odd?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The Who (I think in 1969) at Dunstable Civic Hall - and my ears were ringing for days afterwards ...
Pink Floyd, Edgar Broughton, et al at Hyde Park in 1969
Eric Clapton a few times at the now-famour Albert Hall Christmas gigs
Joan Baez several times since about 1985
Donovan!
CSNY a couple of times (great concerts all)
Steven Stills solo
Steps =0) with my daughter in Hyde Park
Saw Doctors (always with lots of Guinness in tow) several times
Rod Swewart at Christmas 1976 and a few times since (sadly never with the Faces)
Simply Red (with my wife - honest!)
Bonzo Dog Band - a couple of years ago with Phil Jupitus as lead ...
Lulu - a few times in fact =0)
Paul McCartney at Millenium a couple of years ago - 2 1/2 hours full on, no breaks (impressive)
The Noel Redding Experience (really) a few weeks after Jimi had died (don't ask!)
Colin Blunstone, Clodagh Rogers, Argent, It's a Beautiful Day .........

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The Who (I think in 1969) at Dunstable Civic Hall - and my ears were ringing for days afterwards ...
Pink Floyd, Edgar Broughton, et al at Hyde Park in 1969
Eric Clapton a few times at the now-famour Albert Hall Christmas gigs
Joan Baez several times since about 1985
Donovan!
CSNY a couple of times (great concerts all)
Steven Stills solo
Steps =0) with my daughter in Hyde Park
Saw Doctors (always with lots of Guinness in tow) several times
Rod Swewart at Christmas 1976 and a few times since (sadly never with the Faces)
Simply Red (with my wife - honest!)
Bonzo Dog Band - a couple of years ago with Phil Jupitus as lead ...
Lulu - a few times in fact =0)
Paul McCartney at Millenium a couple of years ago - 2 1/2 hours full on, no breaks (impressive)
The Noel Redding Experience (really) a few weeks after Jimi had died (don't ask!)
Colin Blunstone, Clodagh Rogers, Argent, It's a Beautiful Day .........

... and Moody Blues, David Essex, Emeson Lake and Palmer, ELO, Jules Holland ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here