Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Classic bands/artists you've seen

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Genesis, Pink Floyd, madonna, michael jackson( was the jacksons at the brighton centre), queen, most of the big groups of teh 70's and 80's.
Loads of punk from Sex Pistols to Buzzcocks to New York Slits(?)
Biggest gig was a princess diana thing she was at with pavarotti and others in hyde park and got drowned

oh yes and santana a few times and elton john...Rod Stewart was BRILLIANT at the Center...

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Simple Minds-Wembley Stadium 89 ish
U2- Wembley Stadium, Zoo TV
Madonna- Wembley Stadium, Blonde Ambition and Earls Court a few years ago
Guns and Roses- Wembley Stadium, Get in the ring.
Genesis- Knebworth early 90's
Madness about 7 times.
Oasis- Earls Court, Be here now.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
OK as others are doing it here's the I woz there list:
Pixies, Doolittle tour 1988, Brighton Event and Leicester University
Metallica, Master of Puppets tour 1986, Hammersmith Odeon + Black Album tour 1992, Wembley Arena
Iron Maiden, Somewhere in Time tour 1986, Leicester de Montfort Hall (wish i had seen the Powerslave tour)
Frank Zappa, 1987, Brighton Centre
Primal Scream, Screamadelica tour 1992, Hammersmith Palais
My Bloody Valentine, Loveless tour 1991, Town and Country Club, Kentish Town
Spiritualized, Ladies & Gentlemen era, Royal Albert Hall gig that became the live album (had seen em several times before also)
The Sundays + Galaxie 500 (classic to me even if some say who?), Leicester University 1988
Mudhoney + Hole, summer 1991, Brighton Escape club
Sonic Youth, Goo Tour, 1990, Birmingham Hummingbird + Dirty Tour with Pavement, Brixton Academy
Sugarcubes, 1989/90, Birmingham Hummingbird
Jesus & Mary Chain, Automatic Tour 1990, Birmingham Hummingbird
Wedding Present, Bizarro tour 1989, Northampton Roadmenders
Jane's Addiction, Ritual de Lo Habitual tour, 1990, former church in Digbeth, Birmingham
Public Enemy + Anthrax, Brixton Academy early 1990's
The Orb, Adventures in Ultraworld tour, Brighton Event 1991
Lee "Scratch" Perry + Gregory Isaacs + Linton Kwesi Johnson, one Brighton Essential Festival some time in early to mid 90's

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
On February 25th 1984 I saw The Smiths play in Moulescomb and some time the following year The Fall play in Falmer.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The Clash, many times - first gig I ever saw, November '77, Cambridge...then various venues (Sheffield, Cambridge again, Brixton, Lyceum, Aylesbury)

The Jam - 77, 78 and 79 in Cambridge.
Ramones, December '77.
Stranglers, 4 or 5 times in the 70s.
Two Tone tour - Specials, Madness and Dexys (who replaced The Selector when Pauline Black was ill).
Also saw all of these in their own right - great times
AC/DC, November 77.
I once saw Magazine, supported by Simple Minds...
Prince - twice in the 80s.
New Order - first UK gig, Heaven, London.
Depeche Mode at a pub in Euston, just after their first single.

More recently - The Strokes at the Pavilion Theatre.
White Stripes - Concorde.
Arctic Monkeys - 2006, Bournemouth.

And loads more. As someone else said, look at me!

Not a great fan of Joy Division but I saw them supporting The Stranglers at the Rainbow in 1980 and I also saw Dave Stewart & Annie Lennox in the Tourists supporting the Vibrators in a shitty little venue at the bottom of West Street (opposite the Top Rank) - anyone remember what that Club was called ?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The Clash, many times - first gig I ever saw, November '77, Cambridge...then various venues (Sheffield, Cambridge again, Brixton, Lyceum, Aylesbury)

The Jam - 77, 78 and 79 in Cambridge.
Ramones, December '77.
Stranglers, 4 or 5 times in the 70s.
Two Tone tour - Specials, Madness and Dexys (who replaced The Selector when Pauline Black was ill).
Also saw all of these in their own right - great times
AC/DC, November 77.
I once saw Magazine, supported by Simple Minds...
Prince - twice in the 80s.
New Order - first UK gig, Heaven, London.
Depeche Mode at a pub in Euston, just after their first single.

More recently - The Strokes at the Pavilion Theatre.
White Stripes - Concorde.
Arctic Monkeys - 2006, Bournemouth.

And loads more. As someone else said, look at me!

Oh yeah, The Smiths in 85.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Standout gigs:

Rolling Stones
The Who
Jimi Hendrix

all on Hastings Pier in the late 60s

+ Bruce Springsteen at Hammersmith Odeon in 1975

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Not a great fan of Joy Division but I saw them supporting The Stranglers at the Rainbow in 1980 and I also saw Dave Stewart & Annie Lennox in the Tourists supporting the Vibrators in a shitty little venue at the bottom of West Street (opposite the Top Rank) - anyone remember what that Club was called ?

There was Coasters which I think was part of Top Rank. I saw The Housemartins there.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Went to see Tom Jones at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas about 12 years ago, it was far better than I thought it would be and Muhammed Ali was in the audience.
For those people in the world of Soul/Jazz/funk I saw Luther Vandross 3 times, Al Green and the brilliant Maze featuring Frankie Beverley.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I remember that place. They put on a few punk/reggae gigs - quite a small venue.

I saw Subway Sect with a groupie friend of mine. She really did try to shag someone from every band she saw, the only person I've ever met with that particular obsession.

boik

Saw The Cure play The Waters Edge in Tilgate Park in Crawley when 3 Imaginary Boys was released.

When they were more famous saw Siouxsie, The Cure and Spizz at the Centre which was a fab gig.

Saw XTC during the power cut gig at the Top Rank, as well as dozens of other times - one of our favourites.

New Order, Mondays, ACR at the Gmex.

Tons of others, but people idea of classic obviously varies.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Not a great fan of Joy Division but I saw them supporting The Stranglers at the Rainbow in 1980

What do you remember about them, out of interest?

What do you remember about them, out of interest?

My only memory is that Ian Curtis was very erratic throughout and was carried off stage at the end of their gig after suffering a fit.At the time I assumed it was an act - but apparently not.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

The New Regent.
I was there that night too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here