Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ckr

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have no doubt that he has enormous potential and he needs games to bring this out. I think it's a catch 22 at the moment as he hasn't really threatened to score in either of the last two games so how many games should MM give him?. I'm not convinced he's our best option playing up front on his own as there seems to be a bit of petulance creeping into his game born of frustration. There were about three occasions yesterday where his mind seemed somewhere else, possibly thinking he deserved a free kick for a recent foul, as a ball was played through and he was too slow to react to what could have been a killer ball.

I have read most of the threads on yesterday's game and it seems most think he played very well. Am I alone in not being convinced that he should be a guaranteed name on the teamsheet of starters? If Carole can get wide and throw in some crosses I'd hope CKR can use his strength to get some headers on the ball but he doesn't seem to have the confidence to run at defenders at the moment, which I thought was supposed to be one of his strengths.

I am not intending to knock or suggesting he is dropped I just wondering if others feel he is a better solution alone up front than Turienzo who seems to have loads of ability to hold the ball up and lay it off as well as make space for himself in the box. On the downside El Turi has looked close on useless in the air so far.

So before I get flamed, this thread is just intended to get other people's opinion on how they think we should be using our forwards not suggesting that I know better than the pints of whisky drinking Scotsman or that CKR is not going to come good soon.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Icy Gull said:
Am I alone in not being convinced that he should be a guaranteed name on the teamsheet of starters?

No you're not alone. Noticed that everybody's been diplomatically not saying very much at all about CKR's performances in the last two games. Even the Argus! But judged purely on those two displays, he might do a better job for us coming on for the last twenty minutes for now. Get the feeling also that all the hoo-hah surrounding his signing might have just gone to his head a little bit. Got absolutely no doubts that he'll do a fine job for us, given a bit of time, but maybe starting him on the bench for a game might bring him back down to earth a bit.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I've said elsewhere that he surely needs a rest, as he's made a big step up. I'd love to see Jakey get a chance up front with Federico, and Leon on the left wing and Dean in the centre. Perhaps too many changes at once though.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Icy Gull said:
I have no doubt that he has enormous potential and he needs games to bring this out. I think it's a catch 22 at the moment as he hasn't really threatened to score in either of the last two games so how many games should MM give him?. I'm not convinced he's our best option playing up front on his own as there seems to be a bit of petulance creeping into his game born of frustration. There were about three occasions yesterday where his mind seemed somewhere else, possibly thinking he deserved a free kick for a recent foul, as a ball was played through and he was too slow to react to what could have been a killer ball.

I have read most of the threads on yesterday's game and it seems most think he played very well. Am I alone in not being convinced that he should be a guaranteed name on the teamsheet of starters? If Carole can get wide and throw in some crosses I'd hope CKR can use his strength to get some headers on the ball but he doesn't seem to have the confidence to run at defenders at the moment, which I thought was supposed to be one of his strengths.

I am not intending to knock or suggesting he is dropped I just wondering if others feel he is a better solution alone up front than Turienzo who seems to have loads of ability to hold the ball up and lay it off as well as make space for himself in the box. On the downside El Turi has looked close on useless in the air so far.

So before I get flamed, this thread is just intended to get other people's opinion on how they think we should be using our forwards not suggesting that I know better than the pints of whisky drinking Scotsman or that CKR is not going to come good soon.
I think it will take about 6 games for things to click..........we have made quite a few additions and it will take time for these players to gel, and Turienzo didn't speak a word of English when he came over here, so it will take time.
Be patient i say, as this looks like it could turn out to be a squad more than capable of mixing it in this division.
And anyway, we're not in the bottom 3.........but Palace are.:clap2: :clap2:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I thought that from the day he signed too much would be expected of him. He's only eighteen and has spent his fairly limited time in Pro Football in League Two. The Championship is a step up in both pace and skill. I would go with Turienzo to startfor a couple of games with CKR on the bench.

We could try starting Jakey and Leon up front but if we do we need to stop hoofing in high balls at them for obvious reasons.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
In my opinion there was not much wrong with CKR perfomance considering he was playing the lone striker role. Things went wrong when MM took Carole off and the support to CKR died.
The team looked comfortable and Crewe had not been a threat until then.
I think the bottom line is that MM was outwitted in the substitution's again. Something although I hate to critisize MM he seems to get wrong on a few occassions.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It's a bit of a learning time for him at present but he is coming on.
Leon & Jakey both at the front would get stifled by huge defenders at this level.

CKR is actually an attacking midfielder so maybe in the hole?
Can we spare the midfield to do this though?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Re: Re: Ckr

Tom Hark said:
Got absolutely no doubts that he'll do a fine job for us, given a bit of time, but maybe starting him on the bench for a game might bring him back down to earth a bit.

It's quite hard to be impartial on this matter!!! LOL!
Just on that particular point i think what's happening is that he is perhaps so desperate to succeed and to do well for us that the longer time goes on without him scoring the more frustrated he's getting. He doesn't really need to come back down to Earth a bit as I got the impression that he is very grounded from speaking to him - and his Dad too before the Reading game in the boozer- he's been brought up well was the overriding impression I got. Maybe we'll see him playing in a position other than a lone striker soon? Who knows!?

Last edited:

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
CKR played the lone striker role very well first half -he rarely lost posession. 2nd half he seemed to lose his footing constantly. Turienzo came on and his movement is excellent, he really gives options to the team. A few wayward touches but once Turienzo found his touch he looked good. I'd like to CKR play a bit deeper with Turi as the target man. Leon had an excellent game playing very deep.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I thought he was a willing runner yesterday.

But we never really got any quality service into him, and as result I don’t think he really had the chance to show what he can do.

Also, especially first half, whenever he did get near the ball there was always a Crewe player who wanted to grab hold of CKR’s Albion top.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
A big up for Matthew Duglass (age about 10) who, when asked on a TV phone in this morning "if you could be any footballer in the world who would you be?" answered..

"Colin Kazim-Richards of Brighton and Hove Albion"

the presenters were lost for words!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I think CKR did a great job playing up on his own. Needs alot more support than he got yesterday though. People talk of Turi as a target man, but as normally the tallest man on the pitch, i think i've seen him win one header :nono:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
For me it would be a big advance, based on last seasons' performance, to finish the season with mid table respectability. I don't think I am alone in suggesting that we would be kidding ourselves in thinking that we could make the play-offs or better but we should have enough to avoid the agonising last day nail-biting. From what I saw at Derby I believe that the new players are at least as good as those replaced, which should always be our aim. It will take the team time to gell with so many new faces, don't forget Carole only signed last week, he probably doesn't even know the names of all his team mates yet, let alone their capabilities.

Be patient, the team is moving forwards and will move upwards, to quote L/Cpl Jones on Dad's Army: "Don't panic"...

Taylors Dummy

Nov 3, 2004
South West Rye
i believe that if CKR had been left on he would have made more of the chances presented to the Argie, who is the one i have serious doubts about. How can someone with such height be so crap in the air?!!

It sounds a piss poor excuse but the length of the pitch doesn't complement CKR. 1 on 1 at Derby with space to run at the defence he looked terrifying. Two paces at Withdean and he's in their area. Therefore i think we will see the best of CKR away although ironically we are more likely to start with the Argie!!

Surely CKR needs a bit of weight up with him to take the attention of him. Up with a midget he stands little chance.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
i think this is a classic case of many people not noticing his contribution to yesterdays game. we all assume that because he is young and quick that he should be running with the ball all the time, but yesterday his holding up of the ball was top class on occasions. he allowed people to come into the attack, and sure hes still a bit rusty but he did his job very very well in my opinion.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
y2dave said:
Turienzo came on and his movement is excellent, he really gives options to the team. .

so true. he was running into so much space yesterday and we found him once. if we had someone with the killer pass(kenny lunt-esk) then he would be in 3 times in 5 minutes!

Taylors Dummy

Nov 3, 2004
South West Rye
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
so true. he was running into so much space yesterday and we found him once. if we had someone with the killer pass(kenny lunt-esk) then he would be in 3 times in 5 minutes!

You seem to be suggesting that our midfield is not creative and can't thread an incisive pass...............surely not.:glare:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Happy Seagull said:
I think CKR did a great job playing up on his own. Needs alot more support than he got yesterday though. People talk of Turi as a target man, but as normally the tallest man on the pitch, i think i've seen him win one header :nono:

So what ur saying its that CKR could end up like Malongo,and Turi is McCammon in the making:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here