Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris McIwelumo

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Iwelumo plea for Scotland chance

Colchester United striker Chris Iwelumo has pleaded for the chance to break into Walter Smith's Scotland side for the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

The former St Mirren striker's third goal of the season helped defeat QPR in the English Championship on Saturday.

"I don't know whether Walter Smith knows where Layer Road is, or even knows that I'm Scottish," Iwelumo told the East Anglian Daily Times.

"But I'm a proud Scotsman and I would love to get involved with the team."

The 28-year-old Iwelumo left St Mirren for Aarhus in 1998 before moving on to Stoke City, Alemania Aachen then Colchester in summer 2005.

"I was selected for a Scotland B squad in 2002, to tour South Korea, but I couldn't go because my team Stoke were involved in the play-offs," he said.

"They have Kris Boyd, who is a big striker like me, but otherwise most of the Scottish strikers are small and fast.

"The team has started well in the Euro qualifiers and there are some big games coming up against the likes of France and Italy.

"I'd love to be considered for those matches."

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
no mention of us then

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Best bit of play offs interviews was Iwelumo "remember this day for rest of my life etc" - 10 seconds later - asked another question - answer = "can't remember what happened etc"

Absolute footballer interview classic!!!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
MCGHEE PLEA FOR IWELUMO CHANCE

Former Brighton & Hove Albion boss Mark McGhee has pleaded for the chance to go back in time to 2004 and sign striker Chris Iwelumo on a ten-year contract.

The stupid sacked Scotsman admitted: "I would have fallen out with him a million times, but it was a tragedy really because he was exactly the sort of targetman who could have saved my skin. If I hadn't wasted most of the last two years pissing off all my strikers and spunking resources on players we didn't need..."

if anyone wants to finish this feel free, i can't be arsed

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Benny Zamora said:
MCGHEE PLEA FOR IWELUMO CHANCE

Former Brighton & Hove Albion boss Mark McGhee has pleaded for the chance to go back in time to 2004 and sign striker Chris Iwelumo on a ten-year contract.

The stupid sacked Scotsman admitted: "I would have fallen out with him a million times, but it was a tragedy really because he was exactly the sort of targetman who could have saved my skin. If I hadn't wasted most of the last two years pissing off all my strikers and spunking resources on players we didn't need..."

if anyone wants to finish this feel free, i can't be arsed

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Interesting to think what would have happened if we had kept hold or re-signed him when we had the chance (when he returned from Germany)

He never actually fell out with Mcghee, it was all about money and he got a nice wedge in Germany, more than we could have ever offered him.

Not the best player in world, but would have done a job and could have possibly been a shoulder to cry on for Leon.

( Leon would have had to stand on a box obviously..)

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
1) He was one of Leon's mates

2) He was a strong character

You'd get better odds on me enjoying a full and varied sex life with a plethora of stunners who love the Albion almost as much as they love hiphop and acid jazz than you would on McGhee tolerating Iwelumo for a full season of targetman tomfoolery.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
clapham_gull said:
Interesting to think what would have happened if we had kept hold or re-signed him when we had the chance (when he returned from Germany)

He never actually fell out with Mcghee, it was all about money and he got a nice wedge in Germany, more than we could have ever offered him.

Not the best player in world, but would have done a job and could have possibly been a shoulder to cry on for Leon.

( Leon would have had to stand on a box obviously..)
He was desperate to sign for us last summer, on a free, McGhee said he wasn't good enough for the Championship if memory serves.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He has not scored that many goals this year, however he seems to score in key games like QPR on sat - o how Brighton could have done with that last year!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Silent Bob said:
He was desperate to sign for us last summer, on a free, McGhee said he wasn't good enough for the Championship if memory serves.

That is true but he wasn't so desperate to sign at the end of the previous season was he ?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
McGhee classic quote that Iwelumo was not good enought for the Championship currently looks wide of the mark. He was the target man we needed, we already had him and we let him go. For me that was the biggest mistake of McGhee's time here.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
he was a novelty in himself - a black man with a scotish accent

BUTTERBALL said:
McGhee classic quote that Iwelumo was not good enought for the Championship currently looks wide of the mark. He was the target man we needed, we already had him and we let him go. For me that was the biggest mistake of McGhee's time here.

Well, McGhee tried to get him for our 2004-5 campaign, except Dick Knight and the board would't pay a relocation fee. How was that McGhee's fault? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Anyways, I'm sure Walter Smith's Scotland scout down south, Mark McGhee, will be singing his praises :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here