Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris 'Grizzly' Adams

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
CHRIS ADAMS, at 36 the senior county captain, has taken a part-time job at Brighton College and will hand over the captaincy at the end of next season at the latest.
He wants to play on in 2008 and beyond, concentrating on the aggressive natural batting that earned him five Test caps in South Africa in 1999-2000, but said before leading the PCA Masters team against the Sri Lankans in the Twenty20 match in Arundel last night that it would soon be time for a change of command.

“Brighton College have made me a fantastic offer that will involve me in coaching clinics and a public relations role for the school’s sporting activities, especially in the winter months,” he said. “Things are going well for Sussex at the moment both in the championship and in one-day cricket, but I feel ten years are enough for any county captain and I will have done that by the end of next season.

“We have a new chief executive coming later this year and he might have other ideas. I don’t rule out a change sooner. I’m still enjoying it, but I don’t want to go on too long.”

Adams is taking a Level Four ECB coaching course and will work at Brighton with Clare Connor, the recently retired England women’s captain, now director of public relations at the school. They have close links with the county through John Spencer, the former Sussex swing bowler and master in charge of cricket.

Legend
:bowdown:

What is happening with the planned developments for the County ground and who is the new chief exec?

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sounds like we're going to able to talent spot any promising youngsters with Spud, Grizz and Clare Connor there.

Glad he's got a post-cricket career sorted. Yardy for captain next year?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
You can't describe a cricket player with the name "Grizzly".
It just sounds silly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
Who is vice captain this year? If he could get some consistency back I think Kirtley would be a good captain.

There isn't one: at the start of the season it was announced that Prior and Yardy would be contenders if Grizz was injured.

But in the one game that Grizz didn't play, Prior and Yards didn't either and Kirtley captained the side. However, Ambi has said that he doesn't want to be vice-captain as he wants to concentrate on getting his bowling right.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex will have some problems in a couple of years: the nucleus of the team are all in the mid-to-late 30s and will be heading for retirement. Apart from Grizz; Lewry, Monty, Goodwin and, dare I say it, Mushy can't have many years in them. And Kirtley's struggling with his action.

In fact, of the regulars, only Hoppo, Yards, Prior and Wright are the right side of 30. They'd better bring in some young blood - and quickly.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
yardy would make an ideal captain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here