Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chippy

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not seen much discussion on him really. (well none)

Pleased to see him back ?

Thought he looked comfortable on Saturday , all be it against a poor team.

Cant help remembering how God awful he was before his injury.

Hoping Wilkins can get some decent form out the bloke though as def a good option if he's buzzing

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I think he will start tomorrow, but would rather see Fraser in the middle with Ali John on the wing

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I thought he looked fairly bright. Not a baptism of fire, but I do think he can 'do a job' for us. We certainly need some old heads as it is a long season with our cup exploits!

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Showed a good range of passing and took advantage of his time on the ball. Encouraging and hopefully he can find his form and fitness.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
DA MAN CLAY said:
His time has passed im afraid. Dont want to see him start tomorrow.

Surely thats a bit hasty ? I know he's been shit for a while but he isnt too old too completely write off is he ? Maybe the optimist in me says he was stale under McGhee and with a young fresh team and competition for places we will again see some of his class of former seasons come through.

I've criticised him on here but am prepared to wipe slate clean and judge him from what he does now on

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Dougal said:
Surely thats a bit hasty ? I know he's been shit for a while but he isnt too old too completely write off is he ? Maybe the optimist in me says he was stale under McGhee and with a young fresh team and competition for places we will again see some of his class of former seasons come through.

I've criticised him on here but am prepared to wipe slate clean and judge him from what he does now on

I dont think its McGhees fault he forgot how to pass. He is a decent squad player and can come in if we have injury problems. Him and Hammond cant play together and as Hammond is the better play IMO then Chippy will have to be happy with a spot on the bench

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
DA MAN CLAY said:
I dont think its McGhees fault he forgot how to pass. He is a decent squad player and can come in if we have injury problems. Him and Hammond cant play together and as Hammond is the better play IMO then Chippy will have to be happy with a spot on the bench

true but you only have to look at the difference Wilkins has made to certain players which gives hope that Chippy may come back guns blazing

We'll see

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
We need all the fit players we can get over christmas.Welcome back Chippy.

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
DA MAN CLAY said:
Him and Hammond cant play together and as Hammond is the better play IMO then Chippy will have to be happy with a spot on the bench

Never a more true word said. Hammond has looked much more of the player he was since Chippy was out injured, hope him coming back doesn't ruin it for the youngster. Also don't think chippy and El Abd would work either, again another player who has looked a lot better since Chippy was injured, forcing him into his (what now looks natural) role in midfield.

I do hope that Chippy coming back doesn't upset the good balance the team has found in recent weeks.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
No way Chippy will start tomorrow, on the bench though definately.

Thers is no rush to bring him back in (unlike last year when Oatway got crocked)

Wendy will probably give him a few games coming off the bench for half an hour, then see if he can force his way back in at the expense of Hammond or El Abd !

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not really meant as a criticism of Carpenter, but I and a few others around me on Saturday were all thinking the same thing- that it felt like a bit of a backward step having him back in the side.

To be fair, he did fine when he came on, made a couple of nice passes etc, but I guess it's just with the atmosphere surrounding the team recently, and all the young lads playing, it felt like we'd FINALLY moved on from the last relics of the Micky Adams era, ie sticking relentlessly with players who some fans seemingly felt were owed lifelong loyalty and contracts purely because they won us two titles.

I'd feel exactly the same about Oatway if he came back, and I really don't mean that as a slight on either player. It's purely in the sense that we seem to be going down a different road now under Wilkins, maybe I'm just worried that the "old guard" would upset that balance again.

Fraser had a really good game on Saturday and I felt a bit sorry for him when they took him off to get Chippy on.

Why do I feel mean saying this?!

westy

Jul 25, 2003
i thought he looked good sat. Alright, poor oposition, BUT still looked sharp as soon as he came on, when in the past needed several games to get back up to speed after an injury. I think he can still do a job when fit this season.

Last edited:

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
edna krabappel said:
Not really meant as a criticism of Carpenter, but I and a few others around me on Saturday were all thinking the same thing- that it felt like a bit of a backward step having him back in the side.

To be fair, he did fine when he came on, made a couple of nice passes etc, but I guess it's just with the atmosphere surrounding the team recently, and all the young lads playing, it felt like we'd FINALLY moved on from the last relics of the Micky Adams era, ie sticking relentlessly with players who some fans seemingly felt were owed lifelong loyalty and contracts purely because they won us two titles.

I'd feel exactly the same about Oatway if he came back, and I really don't mean that as a slight on either player. It's purely in the sense that we seem to be going down a different road now under Wilkins, maybe I'm just worried that the "old guard" would upset that balance again.

Fraser had a really good game on Saturday and I felt a bit sorry for him when they took him off to get Chippy on.

Because you are mean :p

Chuffed that Chippy looked so good, as Butters has showed, our mix of youngsters blend better with some experience at hand and with plenty of winter battles coming up, Chippy will be an asset. I thought we could have done with him in Donny to settle our play down a bit.

Maybe it will be too soon for him tomorrow but his time will come.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
To be fair a lot on here had Tank written off last season for being too old, too slow etc but he's still here and doing his bit. I'm sure if Chippy scores the winner he'll be a hero just Kerry was last week at Millwall! :)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Race said:
To be fair a lot on here had Tank written off last season for being too old, too slow etc but he's still here and doing his bit. I'm sure if Chippy scores the winner he'll be a hero just Kerry was last week at Millwall! :)
Don't mean to be any sort of bumlicker but he's more than "doing his bit", I'd say - your old man's playing very well. :bowdown:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Race said:

I did say he did alright when he came on, it's not a case of writing him off, I just meant it just felt strange having him back, probably because most of the players we associate him with are no longer here and the team's (mostly...) full of younger lads.

Besides, from the paying fans' point of view, we can only judge on what we see on the pitch, and Carpenter's had a pretty poor couple of seasons. Here's hoping he can turn that around.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
edna krabappel said:

Fraser had picked up a knock apparently

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here