Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child Benefit Changes

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you have a combined income of over £44K you will lose this in 2013 so it's goodbye to this from us !

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Good move from the government, imo. And I think the salary at whcih its cut is about right.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is ut individual then - still goodbye from us then.

Oh well only one will be left to qualify and he will be 16 by then.

Good move from the government, imo. And I think the salary at whcih its cut is about right.

bollocks is it, me and my wife have worked fuckin hard, without claiming a penny of the state for the last 20 years and now have one child (18 months) and (if true) will now lose the only 'benefit' we've ever recieved, however keep churning out kids, scrounge off the state and never do a days work in your fuckin life and you're sorted. Them Rothmans don't pay for themselves y'know!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you have a combined income of over £44K you will lose this in 2013 so it's goodbye to this from us !

So a couple could both earn below the average annual income and loose this benefit. Another attack on the poor.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
The change will affect around 15% of households however must be backed up by cuts in benefits to the individuals who wont work to be successful. If people earn around £45-£50k it would probably work out beneficial to take a pay cut/reduce working hours which would be counter productive IMO.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
well these cuts are coming and once again they are aimed at the lower middle classes. This is not about necessity, it is about ideology.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
well these cuts are coming and once again they are aimed at the lower middle classes. This is not about necessity, it is about ideology.

In what way out of interest ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This is fine, as it will chip away at the floating middle-England tory vote.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

So £ 44000 pa or £ 88000 combined is " lower middle class ". It seems to be fair rosm ANYTHING this government will do is seen as negative. If Labour had proposed this you would have been praising and singing it from the rooftops.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
bollocks is it, me and my wife have worked fuckin hard, without claiming a penny of the state for the last 20 years and now have one child (18 months) and (if true) will now lose the only 'benefit' we've ever recieved, however keep churning out kids, scrounge off the state and never do a days work in your fuckin life and you're sorted. Them Rothmans don't pay for themselves y'know!

There was also a rumour this w/e that they were going to look at stopping child benefit for more than two kids, i.e. you get it for the first two, but not for any more.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Really not sure how that ideology ? One would question as to why people earning over £40k need child benefit - and yes I have children and yes I earn over £40k and I don't feel it's attack on my class ( whatever that may be ), I feel it's a necessary cut to get the countrys finances back on track.

It's strange, on here and other web sites and on TV all you hear is people moaning about this cut and that cut. Every single person that does that sounds like a nimby because nobody ever suggests where the cuts should be - only where they shouldn't be.

This move is a good one IMHO.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
So £ 44000 pa or £ 88000 combined is " lower middle class ". It seems to be fair rosm ANYTHING this government will do is seen as negative. If Labour had proposed this you would have been praising and singing it from the rooftops.

wrong wrong and wrong again. I criticised the Labour plans for reduction of tax breaks on childcare vouchers.

And with the current mortgage for young families who are buying family homes now running at c250k I would suggest that a couple with kids on 88k joint are not exactly flush with cash.

Oh and it's not 88k combined, it over 44k where one person is a higher rate tax payer so if a man or woman has worked full time whilst their partner works part time to help out with childcare they will be hit. That's hardly 'fair' by any stretch of anyones imagination!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There was also a rumour this w/e that they were going to look at stopping child benefit for more than two kids, i.e. you get it for the first two, but not for any more.

Hopefully they will but there would need to be a safety net of some sort to prevent children growing up in poverty. Maybe Child Benefit should be paid in food and clothes vouchers - it would stop people spending it on Sky and fags.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Really not sure how that ideology ? One would question as to why people earning over £40k need child benefit - and yes I have children and yes I earn over £40k and I don't feel it's attack on my class ( whatever that may be ), I feel it's a necessary cut to get the countrys finances back on track.

It's strange, on here and other web sites and on TV all you hear is people moaning about this cut and that cut. Every single person that does that sounds like a nimby because nobody ever suggests where the cuts should be - only where they shouldn't be.

This move is a good one IMHO.

read my second post and you may get it a bit more. When we allow major corporations to avoid paying tax (vodafone) and we allow the mansioned people to not pay their rightful amount of inheritance tax then nobody can convince me that we are 'all in this together'. It isn't just about cuts it's about collecting what is owed and also if possible raing the income. But of course that would hit at the core Tory vote.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here