Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chelsea players (and former) missing the World Cup

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
J.Cole played just a few minutes in a year, A.Cole out for most of the season, Terry had niggling problems all season. They play so many games it's not at all surprising they're dropping like flies at this time of the year.

I wouldn't mind betting that the England players in 1966 and 1970 played, on average, more games in the preceding season than the members of the current squad. I bet the players in 1982, 1986 and 1990 would have played more too.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I wouldn't mind betting that the England players in 1966 and 1970 played, on average, more games in the preceding season than the members of the current squad. I bet the players in 1982, 1986 and 1990 would have played more too.

I would probably agree with that thinking about it, but I would imagine the players these days are more "highly tuned" that in older times, I'm sure they are pushing the body to greater limits than has happened before, and injuries are flagged up earlier.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I would probably agree with that thinking about it, but I would imagine the players these days are more "highly tuned" that in older times, I'm sure they are pushing the body to greater limits than has happened before, and injuries are flagged up earlier.

They're certainly fitter and faster but I'm not sure about this - if they're more highly tuned, the fewer injuries you'd have, surely? And the game was much, much more physical in those days.

But it's certainly the case that players have more injuries now. Personally, I think that it's a combination of footwear - modern day boots help players run quicker but offer minimum protection - and the onset of pain-killing injections, players are give drugs to help them shrug off injuries, storing up problems for the future.

Perhaps it's a perception issue. The media play up injuries much more than they used to - there have certainly been plenty of injury problems for previous WCs.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
They're certainly fitter and faster but I'm not sure about this - if they're more highly tuned, the fewer injuries you'd have, surely? And the game was much, much more physical in those days.

But it's certainly the case that players have more injuries now. Personally, I think that it's a combination of footwear - modern day boots help players run quicker but offer minimum protection - and the onset of pain-killing injections, players are give drugs to help them shrug off injuries, storing up problems for the future.

Perhaps it's a perception issue. The media play up injuries much more than they used to - there have certainly been plenty of injury problems for previous WCs.

I guess being highly tuned is meant to be like a tight cotton. A lose thread can be bounced around a bit, but a taut one has little-to-no give so it breaks. So a finely tuned football player is also more delicate and susceptible to injuries.

However, I prefer to think that today's footballers are just soft.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here