Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheating American TW*TS

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Cannot see how it makes them cheats though. So they have decided to order the table by total medals instead of number of golds.

Sad maybe, cheating no.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Medal table should be worked out as 3 points for a Gold, 2 for a Silver and 1 for a Bronze imo

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Fairly typical and an indicator of how fragile the average American's ego must be.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I think that makes them look a bit tragic which is fine by me

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Here's how a weighted table looks (based on a 3, 2, 1 weighting).

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.JPG
    New Bitmap Image.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 632

Haha quality. Poor losers.

We've just been having a debate here about a more revealing stat; medals per head of population. We've hazarded a guess that Jamaica, with 4 medals, would probably be top. It would certainly knock China, the US and GB down a peg or two!

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Medal table should be worked out as 3 points for a Gold, 2 for a Silver and 1 for a Bronze imo

The way the rest of the world do it is fine. Number of golds won, if a tie, the number of silvers won, if still a tie number of bronze won, if still a tie alphbetically.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
In that scenario, expect the Americans to start calling their country Aardvarkistan

Well it will be America instead of the United States of America for sure.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Typical yanks. However, saw it as a good opportunity to slag of the USA by emailing Sports Illustrated via their website. Hope I don't get renditioned and water boarded!!!!!!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And because I'm having lunch...the top 12 weighted AND then points per million of population. Not so f***ing clever now are you Yanks?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 559

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Again Buzzer, we have the age old problem of the Aussies made to look good again, and as this is my thread, quite frankly, I'm not having that.

Thank f*** there isn't an Olympic medal for shit car designs or pissy beer brewing. The Americans and Aussies would ROMP away with it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Amazing that 31 of the 66 US medals have been in swimming.

China's have been concentrated in Gymnastics (11), weight lifting (9), badminton (8) and shooting (8)

Needless to say, 11 of out 27 are in cycling (with more to come).

Australia - 20 of their 27 from swimming!

So we are not unique in being dependent on one or two sports to deliver big blocks of medals.

An interesting stat might be how strong a team is by the number of sports it is picking medals up in. Table for the top few would be would be:

China 14 events (Gold in 12 events)
USA 12 (7)
Germany 12 (5)
France 12 (3)
Russia 11 (4)
S Korea 9 (6)
Australia 9 (4)
UK 7 (4)

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Haha quality. Poor losers.

We've just been having a debate here about a more revealing stat; medals per head of population. We've hazarded a guess that Jamaica, with 4 medals, would probably be top. It would certainly knock China, the US and GB down a peg or two!

slovenia are top at the moment apparently.

i think even australia come above jamaica on medals per head as well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Re the 3, 2, 1 points ranking per medal - this is clearly ridiculous because winning 2 Gold Medals is clearly more of an achievement for a nation than having 3 2nd Place silvers.

5, 3, 1 is nearer the mark although, again, I'd have thought a gold and a bronze were worth more than 2 silvers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here