Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

charlton busing kids to the valley

steve-c

as hartey says is this right, they have been doing it in kent for a couple of years now, much to scallys annoyance, but to do it from worthing OUT OF ORDER, bus them from croydon

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Yes they've been doing it in Kent, but anything that pisses Scally off is a good thing in my books! :lolol:

But

Now they've moved into our back yard :angry: :censored: :angry:

Seriously though, someone in Charlton's marketing department is doing a good job. Football clubs are businesses and anything that brings additional revenue in is worth trying - who cares if it annoys your rivals.

Albion have not been able to do this in the last few years due to the limited capacity of Withdean, but with the additional seats and the lower crowds in League 1 so far this season something could be done in a similar vein.

Albion need to react quickly to this or lose out on furture supporters.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What can we do, our commercial department is crap and cannot think up great ideas like this.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Beach Hut said:
What can we do, our commercial department is crap and cannot think up great ideas like this.

...and we don't have a bus :down:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bry Nylon said:
...and we don't have a bus :down:

We don't even have a tricycle - Ernest nicked it :ohmy:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
it'd be good to get the WHEELS in motion on this whilst we're at Withers, then when we get to FALMER we can move into FIFTH GEAR and really push the future fans forward!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There were loads of kids (relatively) there tonight and they had a whale of a time. They made lots of noise and no doubt enjoyed the victory. I don't think there is much we can do if Charlton are offering decent prices. I suspect the floating parents would more liekly be inclined to take a group of kids to Charlton to see premiership action, rather than league one football.

It is a shame, but I don't think we will be able to compete until we have Falmer. Having said that, some investment on the pitch and get the team winning and winning well would attract a lot more.

Don't we offer much cheaper deals than £20 for school parties? True, Charlton do organise the bus but travel ain't the problem from Sussex locations to Withdean, is it? :shrug:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
What I don't understand about this is why Charlton NEED to bus in schoolkids from Worthing to fill 20,000 seats for a Premiership fixture against Newcastle...?

Charlton were a massive club at one time and have hundreds of thousands / millions of people more local to them from which to draw support

Does make you wonder about what could happen at Falmer given different scenarios... (I've always been in the "We have massive potential and the crowds will flock" camp - but Charlton's experience doesn't seem to support that view...)

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I've said it many times before, they've been targetting East Sussex for years. The free Charlton News pamphlet that was posted through my door a couple of months ago stated that it was 'serving the communities of South East London, Kent and East Sussex.' As brazen as that.

We need to do something to address this NOW. Let the kids in for free. Or something.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:
Don't we offer much cheaper deals than £20 for school parties? True, Charlton do organise the bus but travel ain't the problem from Sussex locations to Withdean, is it? :shrug:

No of course not. After all you can park the coach or your car right outside Withdean.

And its only a 10 min walk from Preston Park train station...where invariably there is always some bloody railtrack works going on...

Seriously tho the club do need to fight this blatant incursion into our territory.

Last edited:

adammicheal

Jan 3, 2006
What i dont understand is Why would any parent want to pay £20 for their children to Ian Dowie its worse than any horror movie :lol:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Luckily they're goind down faster than the Belgrano.

Dowie :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Moshe Gariani said:
What I don't understand about this is why Charlton NEED to bus in schoolkids from Worthing to fill 20,000 seats for a Premiership fixture against Newcastle...?

Charlton were a massive club at one time and have hundreds of thousands / millions of people more local to them from which to draw support

Does make you wonder about what could happen at Falmer given different scenarios... (I've always been in the "We have massive potential and the crowds will flock" camp - but Charlton's experience doesn't seem to support that view...)

When were Charlton ever a massive club?

:jester:

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Moshe Gariani said:

Charlton were a massive club at one time

compared to Rotherfield 3rds

Charlton are not & never have been a big club.They are currently bigger than us but most clubs are.However even though they are in the premiership there are several clubs inlower leagues who can rightly claim to be bigger than Charlton (Forest, Wolves Sheff Wed Birmingham even Palace) That is why they feel the need to poach support from well outside their normal catchment area.The floating supporter in South London/ North Kent isn't likely to be interested in CAFC when the likes of Chelsea Spurs Arsenal & W Ham are just up the road.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Winning the cup doesnt make you a massive club,after all where are the Royal Engineers now?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
the wanderbus said:
Winning the cup doesnt make you a massive club,after all where are the Royal Engineers now?

Afganistan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here