Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Oatway's time is up

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Am I the only person who believes we should get rid of Oatway at the end of the season?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Woodchip said:
WTF?!? You been drinking? Utterly random thread.

? Why is it 'random'?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Tubthumper said:
? Why is it 'random'?

Because it has football related content.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Probably no place for him on the playing side anymore, but Charlie is a positive asset to the club, and should be kept on in some capacity.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My main reasons are that he is a higher wage earner at the club, I dont particularly rate him as a footballer, and I think we could do a lot better than him. I know there is the arguement about how he is good for the dressing room etc but it is the managers job to lift the players. We cannot afford the luxury of carrying a senior pro simply because he is good for morale.

I dont think it would be too difficult to bring someone else in who is more skillful, more hungry and quicker in thought and speed.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Woodchip said:
Why do you feel he shoud go? Just seems that there is no reason for it, as he's not been playing.

No, but he's shite and probably one of the, if not the, highest paid player.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Woodchip said:
Why do you feel he shoud go? Just seems that there is no reason for it, as he's not been playing.

Thats the point isn't it? No point paying someone who is going to spend most of his time out injured.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tom Hark said:
Probably no place for him on the playing side anymore, but Charlie is a positive asset to the club, and should be kept on in some capacity.

We cannot afford the luxury. See my previous reply.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Fake sake how can you right Oatway off when we haven't seen him this season?We need is experience for another season.It's Chippy who should go

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tubthumper said:
We cannot afford the luxury. See my previous reply.

Yeah, and see MY previous reply about keeping him on NOT on the playing side. Put charlie is charge of scouting or Junior Seagulls or Hospitality or somesuch and his personality would be a positive asset to the club. Albeit on a different pay-scale. Obviously. :rolleyes:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
algie said:
Fake sake how can you right Oatway off when we haven't seen him this season?We need is experience for another season.It's Chippy who should go

But I have seen him for the past 5 or so seasons so I do know what he is like. I dont think a year's lay off will make him a better player.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Having had the opportunity to attend a number of fans meetings attended by players and club representatives over the last few years - I find it highly unlikely that Oatway will be going anywhere.

Not neccesarily my opinion - just passing on the opinion of it seems everyone at the club.

He's viewed as an asset - and that goes beyond the playing side.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
It is a bit of a random thread as no one has seen him play for about a year. However I would let him and Chippy go. People would argue we need their experience but Hammond is captain and El-Bad looks assured. Plus we have Fraser and Chamberlain coming through with Cox Capable of playing in the middle.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it funny, because as soon as a player ups and leaves for a "bigger" club people complain about lack of loyalty, then we want to kick older injured players in the street.

if, as is said, he does so much off the pitch he should defninatly stay with the club in some capacity, and makes sence to keep his registration as he's usfull cover once fit. wage might need revisting so we can bring in another player, but "get rid" is a bit harsh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here