CHARLIE OATWAY gets a testimonial

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Well deserved :clap2:

We'll play QPR at some point then...

Charlie Granted Testimonial
Posted on: Tue 21 Aug 2012

By Joel Essex

The club has granted Charlie Oatway a testimonial following ten years' of service to the Albion, and the former skipper has agreed to donate half of the benefit to Albion in the Community.

A number of events are planned throughout the season to celebrate Charlie's time at the club, not just as a player but also as an employee of Albion in the Community, and since 2009, as first-team coach.

Charlie, who actually began his professional career with Cardiff City, appeared 248 times for the Albion between 1999 and 2006 playing a key role in the club's back-to-back Championship wins during 2000/01, 2001/02 and captaining the side to Division 2 play-off success in 2004.

After his Albion and professional career was prematurely ended by injury in 2007 he won wide acclaim for admitting to his difficulties with reading and writing and completed an adult literacy course with AITC.

He then went on to become a community relations manager with the club's charity and in 2011 wrote Tackling Life, an inspiring account of his footballing career and his battle to overcome his problems.

In recognition of his work with AITC, and ongoing support, Charlie has kindly agreed to donate 50% of the proceeds from his testimonial to Albion in the Community.

Speaking ahead tonight's game he said, "It's been a great honour spending ten years of my life at the Albion, both on and off the pitch and I want to thank the club for giving me this testimonial.

"After all the help Albion in the Community gave me after I finished playing it's only right that I give something back. I'm really looking forward to an exciting year of events and hope the fans can get involved as much as possible."

Albion boss Gus Poyet paid tribute to Charlie's contribution to the club, "It's hard not to notice Charlie! He's been such a positive influence on the dressing room since I arrived at the football club.

"He puts everyone at ease and relaxes the players, mainly by making fun of them! This is great for team spirit and is a big part of our recent success."

The testimonial events start with a special 'Sporting Lunch' on Friday 12th October, at the Brighton Hilton Metropole, and will end with a testimonial game against high profile opposition in either July or August next year.

A series of 'Charlie's Community Challenges' aimed at raising money for AITC will also take place throughout the season. Fans will be able to vote on which challenges they would like Charlie to take part in.

Oatway added, "Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not the biggest fan of heights. I'm not to keen on water either so I'm sure the testimonial committee and Albion fans have got something special in store for me!"

A website has been set up Charlie Oatway Testimonial for people to keep-up-to-date with all the latest news and information on Charlie's testimonial year and a special testimonial brochure to commemorate Charlie's ten years with the club is also being produced.

Details of how to book tickets for events will be announced shortly.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Great news.

Hopefully QPR but I can't help but feel that nowadays they are a club that might have little time for this kind of thing. Hope I am wrong.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What a let-down if QPR can't make it and we end up with Havant and Waterlooville instead.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The fact he's giving 50% to AITC speaks volumes too. Great gesture.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Great gesture from a top bloke. Deserves his testimonial and I'm certain he'd've played even longer for had he not been injured...

To everyone at the club: PLEASE GET QPR!!!!!!!!

Oh, and please make it an ACTUAL testimonial this time.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
That's cool - maybe this time with the connections we can have The Saturdays to sing first instead of some random that no one could understand?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
A match with QPR would inevitably result in the return of Zamora which should help to put a few thousand on the gate.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I do love the way Charlie's ribbing of players including Gary Hart (Cod Eyes), Elliot Bennet (looks like he's had a Mars Bar spat in his face), etc is described as motivating. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here