Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Austin Unsettled

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
According to Sky Sports. Miffed that Hull's bid was rejected and open to a move to "a higher level."

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Was going to post a new thread regards this, lucky I checked. Here is the full page.

Swindon Town hot-shot Charlie Austin has spoken out for the first time about speculation surrounding his future.

The Robins have confirmed a number of Championship clubs have enquired about the player's availability, while Hull City tabled an undisclosed offer for the prolific forward earlier this month.

The 21-year-old, who has netted 17 goals so far this season, admits he was disappointed to see the bid from Hull rejected as he is ambitious to play at the highest level possible.

"Obviously I was disappointed the offer from Hull was turned down," Austin told skysports.com. "It would have been a good opportunity for me."

While Austin reiterated his affection for Swindon, he did for the first time admit that an opportunity to play for a club at a higher level may be too good to turn down.

"At the moment all I can do is focus on playing for Swindon," added Austin.

"I am very grateful for Swindon giving me my chance. It's a great club and the fans are a different class.

"However, like any player I have the ambition to play at the highest level I can and for footballing reasons if opportunities come up over the coming weeks then I would hope we will be able sit down and look at it."

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Well it does seem to rule out L1 as he wants to get as high as poss. Championship team somewhere. Only hope is if they keep him in Jan and IF we do get promotion then he might be interested.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Or he is willing to take the gamble that he joins us and plays in the championship next year. My money is on Hull improving their offer though and then he goes.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Not sure about Hull, they brought in McClean and Fryatt instead. It might be a "come and get me" to another Championship club like QPR as rumoured or perhaps Reading, what with the BWP deal falling through.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
and if he had taken his chance in the play-off final last year he might have been playing at a higher-level already...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Pretty clear that coming here wouldn't interest him right now and I can't see Hull coming back after signing McLean and Fryatt. QPR's Chairman is reluctant to spend in the January window but Warnock might be able to persuade him - must be favourites. And have Reading got the money? I don't know.

If I was a Championship manager in need of a striker at a decent price I reckon I would give him a go. All the signs are that he will continue to score, if not be as prolific, at a higher level.

He is pretty much saying in that interview that he doesn't expect to be at Swindon on 1st Feb. Shame because in the close season we might be able to tempt him

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gordon Greer needs to have a word with him :lol:

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
Wouldn't shock me if he ended up at QPR now after Mackie broke his leg in the FA Cup. Looks like they'll be going up this year too, so that'll see him in the Premiership come the summer, which I can't imagine he'll turn down unless he wants more of a guarantee of playing regularly (i.e. Reading, I guess, or us, which would be incredible but seems unlikely..)

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Wouldn't shock me if he ended up at QPR now after Mackie broke his leg in the FA Cup. Looks like they'll be going up this year too, so that'll see him in the Premiership come the summer, which I can't imagine he'll turn down unless he wants more of a guarantee of playing regularly (i.e. Reading, I guess, or us, which would be incredible but seems unlikely..)

That's a good shout, though they may be more interested in a striker more proven at the lower prem / upper championship level. It's a big step up from bumpkin league 1 strugglers to the prem should QPR make it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here