Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changing ends- coin toss. Leeds Utd

kc1

Nov 11, 2011
Do we reckon this was a tactic enforced by Gus?
We always seem to play better attacking the north stand and we are generally slow starters, so perhaps he wanted us to get off to a flying start, which we certainly did.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Maybe Leeds won the toss and elected to kick towards the South first, knowing we usually attack the South 1st

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
And we kicked off at 19.43, was that dirtyleeds trying to catch us unawares?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Leeds won the toss and elected us to change end rather than take kick off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I assume there's unwritten rules.

Home club says we like it this way, and that's then reciprocated in the alternate fixture.

Helter Skelter

Nov 1, 2012
Southwick
I'd say it was Leeds not wanting us shooting towards the North Stand in the second half, Palace did the same last season

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Home club says we like it this way, and that's then reciprocated in the alternate fixture.

It is to do with the coin toss. Choose end, or take kick off.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Yeah it was all Gus, his genuis knows no bounds, he can even make a coin land which way up he wants it...Or maybe Leeds done there homework and won the toss, I really can't think which one it is.

kc1

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah it was all Gus, his genuis knows no bounds, he can even make a coin land which way up he wants it...Or maybe Leeds done there homework and won the toss, I really can't think which one it is.

I was merely asking if Gus instructed Greer to change ends if he won the coin toss, not that difficult a question really, is it? It seemed to work more in our favour than theirs!!

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Heard a rumour it was to do with safety, i.e if Leeds scored a late equaliser/winner that no one would get on the pitch and attack our keeper. Not sure who gave (even can give?) the instruction though.

That said, I wouldn't f*** with the Pole in goal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is to do with the coin toss. Choose end, or take kick off.
Yeah I kind of took the coin toss as a token gesture.

Or else more than 2 teams would have changed it about a bit.
That is unless we've won 40 odd coin tosses and only lost 2.
Those two being to 2 of the most reprehensible clubs we play.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I also think the main reason why 95% of the time we attack the north in the second half of games, is both sides like to attack the end their main fan base is. This is probably why when the away team has won the toss, they choose to attack the south in the 2nd half.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I think it's more that each team prefers to play towards their own fans in the second half, so they usually leave it as is, and they only change it if they want to unsettle the home side.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you win the toss you choose ends. You do not have an option to take kick off.

If you win the toss you choose ends and take kick off in the second half (like you say, you don't get a choice - just adding further info to your point).

kick off law.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here