Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Centre Left & Centre Right Coalition.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
So we all know that the Tories with all that has gone on with the previous regime should have romped home with a majority, however and and big one at that is, how the hell did the Labour Party alow a coalition such as this, the Libs far closer in body and mind to the Labour Party than the Tories will ever be and they couldn't get it together wtf. To me an epic fail of biblical proportions.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if some sources are to be believed, the Labour offer was "see our manifesto" and have a few cabinet posts. basically arrogance that Liberals would naturally fall in behind Labour. But also, the Liberals probably realised being in a minority coalition would not have functioned.

i also think this dispells a few myths about where the political faultlines exist. the Conservatives arent the old victorian party most on the left think it is and likewise many probably finding out the Liberals have some clear differences with Labour, not simply an offshoot.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It is odd though that the party with the most right wing policies and the one with the most left wing policies join together and leave the middle party (Labour) out.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
if some sources are to be believed, the Labour offer was "see our manifesto" and have a few cabinet posts. basically arrogance that Liberals would naturally fall in behind Labour. But also, the Liberals probably realised being in a minority coalition would not have functioned.

i also think this dispells a few myths about where the political faultlines exist. the Conservatives arent the old victorian party most on the left think it is and likewise many probably finding out the Liberals have some clear differences with Labour, not simply an offshoot.

Difficult to determine where the truth lies as there was so much spin from all corners.

IMO i think the lib/lab coalition was only ever a lever for the liberals in their negotiations with the Tories and both Labourt and the Lib dems realised a coalition between the two with nationalist support had every chance of being a total disaster for both.

I know many are saying this is the election that no-one won, but in a funny way all the parties are winners

The conservatives are in power, and have the chance to blame their coalition partners if things go wrong, potentially allaying some of the risk of being in power at such a difficult time.

Pretty much the same for the liberals with the addition that this is the first time they've been in government since the second world war and have an opportunity to change the perceptions of the party.

Labour have somehow prevented a Tory majority and now have breathing space to regroup while the conservatives and liberals try to deal with the posioned chalice they've left behind.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It is odd though that the party with the most right wing policies and the one with the most left wing policies join together and leave the middle party (Labour) out.

Not really.

I think what this shows is that Cameron has realised that his policies were not entirely what the country wanted and was willing to adapt and try and form a progressive alliance, which is what will have to happen if PR comes in. We will have to wait and see how it pans out, but I think that Cameron and Clegg will work together much better than Labour and Clegg would have done, based purely upon what the Lib Dems are saying about the Labour attitude during their negotiations.

In the public eye, Labour dictating to the Lib Dems will damage them in my opinion - is does not matter if Mandy is playing some game to get power back later on, what they have shown the public is the "we know best" arrogance that some might say has been the characteristic of their 13 years in power. If they do not adapt their stance and be open to negotiations, if PR does come in they will not do very well.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Not really.

I think what this shows is that Cameron has realised that his policies were not entirely what the country wanted and was willing to adapt and try and form a progressive alliance, which is what will have to happen if PR comes in. We will have to wait and see how it pans out, but I think that Cameron and Clegg will work together much better than Labour and Clegg would have done, based purely upon what the Lib Dems are saying about the Labour attitude during their negotiations.

In the public eye, Labour dictating to the Lib Dems will damage them in my opinion - is does not matter if Mandy is playing some game to get power back later on, what they have shown the public is the "we know best" arrogance that some might say has been the characteristic of their 13 years in power. If they do not adapt their stance and be open to negotiations, if PR does come in they will not do very well.
one word sums up many of the senior Labour Party team "belligerent".

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Labour didn't want to dilute their manifesto as much as the other party did.

It was squalid horse trading and in the end the voters have got what they deserved,and both Alliance members have been seen as graspers after power.

In the national interest,of course.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well I doubt that this marriage of convenience will be a success, just as much as it wouldn't be a success if it was a Lib/lab pact. The sight of Hague coming out and announcing they would agree to a referendum on AV just after Brown had done what everyone expected he would do was clutching at straws. The Tories will allow a referendum but it is the most basic form of electoral reform and there is no way they will actual campaign for change.

You would expect all involved to be bigging up the link but ideologically they are too far apart. This was not arrived at due to great statemanship but more the fear that if he didn't do a deal then it could be his (Cameron's that is) last chance.

As for Beorthelms assertion that the Tories aren't that 'old victorian party'. Get with the real world. There will be members of the Conservatives that will be seething with this deal and compromise but for the sake of power, will keep tight lipped. They haven't changed overnight just as in the late 1990s, not all labour MPs were 'New Labour'. There were many that stayed committed to their left wing roots, eg Dennis Skinner.

Finally, the libdems haven't got one of the major cabinet posts, ie Prime Minister, Chancellor, Foreign Secretary and Home Secretary. You can forgive Cameron for taking the top job but Clegg couldn't negotiate one of the other three!

We can only hope that over the short time that this coalition is likely to last, the Libdems will curb the excesses of the Tories. I won't hold my breath though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It was squalid horse trading and in the end the voters have got what they deserved,and both Alliance members have been seen as graspers after power.

In the national interest,of course.

Spot on

We can only hope that over the short time that this coalition is likely to last, the Libdems will curb the excesses of the Tories. I won't hold my breath though.

Indeed

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The tories didn't win an election they should have romped home in. The Lib dems did worse than expected once subjected to proper scrutiny. Labour lost a majority and nearly 100 seats and are battered, bruised and self reflecting.

Of that, the two most hungry for power at any cost were the Tories and Lib Dems. The Tories as a failure to do a deal would have seen the usual bout of conservative regicide and teh Lib Dems as this was their opportunity.

labour could have insisted on first go at talks with the lib dems but didn't (not that insisting would have made much difference). Once the request for formal talks was made, they were duty bound to hold them albeit that party views (John Reid, Blunkett etc) was that this was the wrong thing to do and unsellable to the electorate. Ed balls apparently was less than accomodating in those talks possibly betraying an early undertanding that no sellable deal was possible and Brown resigned before a formal Con Dem deal was done.

I think Labour have dodged a bullet here.

As Stephen Pound said last night, the Lib Dems will be chewed up and spat out by the Tories - he likened it to a vegetarian getting a job at McDonalds because they didn't read the job description.

By talking to labour, the Lib Dems have got the AV referendum so they'll be happy.

But with a Lib dem in every department, they'll be fighting like cats in a sack within 18 months. Imagine the Eurosceptic William Hague with a pro european deputy. Or ban 4 x 4 Norman baker with a kensington caravan loving Tory to work for. Could be a great show to be watching rather than participating in

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Labour playing the long game here(or maybe it won't be so long) let the tories and their new best mates join together and this way you get rid of both at the same time.
you honestly can't believe that this will last I give it 6 months and they will be divorcing their electorate will have deserted them both because lets face it its not what they voted for.

believe me when I say there will be blood on the carpet at no 10

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Hague thinks this will last five years... Is he deluded? You can't have a hung parliament that long.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If the libdems can make concessions and form a coalition with the tories, why didn't labour try? Imagine that, a Lab/Con coalition...

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The reason is simple.

Labour knew full well this government is doomed to fail so they've cut their losses so they can focus on the next election. A minority coalition with the Lib Dems would have made them even less popular

From the outset of the election, Balls, Mandleson and Brown , basically Brown cohorts were working owards a coalition.

However, we will realy never know how intent or relunctant the Labour/ LIberal discussions were.

I am clear that Clegg had always intened to line up with the Conservatives, for reference, refer all of Clegg's remarks about, he party wold open discussion with who wins the most votes (Conservatives).

Clegg is more aligned to the Conservatives, than The Lib Manisfesto and his party.So a coalition with the Tories is more natural.

I think clegg also did not want to be seen as aligning with a defeated party, our media and public, are never yet used to coalitions. Let alone parties who won the second and third highest votes.

That type of coalition will emerge out of PR.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here