Votes: 26 35.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.1%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yesterday threw a nice problem into the mix for Dean Wilkins.

For me, Tommy Fraser was Man of the Match. He was tenacious, strong, intercepted plenty of balls, and just kept going. I saw Fraser in the reserves recently, and thought he was superb, and surely a first-team opportunity was not that far away.

But this creates an issue for Wilkins.

Dean Hammond had his best game of the season for us yesterday. And my observations on that were that it was possibly because he wasn't playing alongside George O'Callaghan. George O is undoubtedly a good player, but for me, he seems to stifle Hammond's play. For whatever reason, O'Callaghan and Hammond seem to get under each other's feet, much in the same way that Hammond had a stinker of a time playing alongside Richard Carpenter.

I don't know why this happens to be the case, and I don't know what the answer is - I suppose it's possible Hammond feels a bit daunted playing alongside a senior player, but I don't think so.

But my point is, Fraser and Hammond seemed to work yesterday, and I don't see why it shouldn't work again. And I would rather have two reasonably OK players playing well together than one pretty decent player playing really well while the reasonably OK player alongside him is playing shite.

This then begs the point 'what would Fraser and O'Callaghan be like playing together?' I would say this scenario is unlikely because Hammond is the captain, and is less likely to be dropped. But it's one to throw into the mix.

So, assuming all players are fit, who would you prefer in centre midfield?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Hammond scores goals,Fraser doesn't so there's your answer

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Hammond scores goals,Fraser doesn't so there's your answer

And O'Callaghan?

Personally I would play Hammond and Fraser after yesterday's showing.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Nor does O'Callaghan score goals. Say what are you saying?

O'Callaghan Looks more like scoring.He is still getting up to full fitness himself.Hes a good talker as well.Not long ago people were slagging Fraser off.One game and the Fraser doubters seem to suddenly forget that he is a pretty average player at best.I don't rate him myself.Much rather an experienced head in the middle

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tommy Fraser was a revelation yesterday. Controlled the ball, brought it down well, thought about it before laying it off. He didn't show any of that petty niggling leaving the foot in type stuff that he's sometimes been prone to. Early days, but maybe the boy's growing up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For away games I would play Fraser in front of the back four with Hammond and O Callaghan in the middle of Robinson on the right and Cox on the left, Forster a lone striker and allow JR DC and DH to go forward to support him.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Tommy Fraser was a revelation yesterday. Controlled the ball, brought it down well, thought about it before laying it off. He didn't show any of that petty niggling leaving the foot in type stuff that he's sometimes been prone to. Early days, but maybe the boy's growing up.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong - but that was Fraser's first first-team start in central midfield, wasn't it?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
O'Callaghan is probably our best player - anyone thinking of leaving him out is a CHUMP.

So, it's a case of who to play with him. I don't think Hammond's been up to much this season, he goes missing for HUGE periods of the game, and if yesterday was his best performance of the season then that's all you need to know. Sure, he was ok, but he was still Mr Anonymous for long spells. Fraser, on the other hand, was fantastic, and after that performance he deserves his first spell in his proper position to show it wasn't a one off.

So, Fraser and O'Callaghan all the way for me.

Good post but the you spoil it towards the end."YOU CANNOT DROP HAMMOND":drink:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Is Fraser a match winner NO
Is Fraser good at killer balls NO
Does Fraser score NO
Is he ginger YES

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
3-5-2 ?

Kuipers

Whing Elphick Richards/Lynch(when fit)

Robinson Fraser Hammond O'Callaghan Cox

Revell Forster

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
3-5-2 ?

Kuipers

Whing Elphick Richards/Lynch(when fit)

Robinson Fraser Hammond O'Callaghan Cox

Revell Forster

I think that would leave us too light at the back when away from home and would change Revell for Butters in the back four. That may be OK for home game when we are expected to attack teams.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
And O'Callaghan?

Personally I would play Hammond and Fraser after yesterday's showing.

O'Callaghan scored a lot of very good goals in Ireland. And dont snub the Irish league because the fella Reading bought are doing pretty well! He's got a great free kick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here