Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Censorship back in the day.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Just chatting in the office about all the various trigger warnings now in the media, and recalling this particular ditty, which was on TOTP in late 1980 when Peter Suttcliffe was still at large.

Strange how it was in a time not long after the Pistols had been banned, and the charts rigged to stop them having a number one in Jubilee week, I even recall Jude Dredd not being allowed on a few years before over the content of his lyrics, but killing women, no worries, fill your boots and introduce them DLT!

Google the lyrics if you get a chance.......

Different times. :shrug:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not the greatest lyricists were they.

“Tonight there’s going to be a jailbreak somewhere in this town”

You need another clue Phil,
Quite.

You'd think 'the jail' would be the most likely location for this event. Unless they have dug a really long tunnel.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Just chatting in the office about all the various trigger warnings now in the media, and recalling this particular ditty, which was on TOTP in late 1980 when Peter Suttcliffe was still at large.

Strange how it was in a time not long after the Pistols had been banned, and the charts rigged to stop them having a number one in Jubilee week, I even recall Jude Dredd not being allowed on a few years before over the content of his lyrics, but killing women, no worries, fill your boots and introduce them DLT!

Google the lyrics if you get a chance.......

Different times. :shrug:

To be honest, my main thought watching the video was that he's doing a shit job of miming playing the bass part for most of it.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Weird in some ways much of what is being cancelled is being so. Removing, editing, amending the past etc to protect sensitive newer generations who at the same time say they don’t watch television and have little to no attention span enabling them to read a book etc. So what’s the point spending all that time cancelling stuff?!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"Now you might think I'm messing
Or he don't exist
But honey I'm confessing
I'm a mad sexual rapist"

Catchy lyrics.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Weird in some ways much of what is being cancelled is being so. Removing, editing, amending the past etc to protect sensitive newer generations who at the same time say they don’t watch television and have little to no attention span enabling them to read a book etc. So what’s the point spending all that time cancelling stuff?!
We have lost so many great 60s and 70s TOTP stuff that Saville compered. Irritating!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not the greatest lyricists were they.

“Tonight there’s going to be a jailbreak somewhere in this town”

You need another clue Phil,
Sounds like someone trying to lead the police on a wild goose chase to me

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Can we just close this thread because it dares to criticise one of the greatest rock bands and Phil Lynott whose early but sadly predictable death was a tragedy.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Can we just close this thread because it dares to criticise one of the greatest rock bands and Phil Lynott whose early but sadly predictable death was a tragedy.
Not criticising him at all, Parisienne Walkways is the work of sheer genius, just saying how censorship was somewhat different back in the day.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Not criticising him at all, Parisienne Walkways is the work of sheer genius, just saying how censorship was somewhat different back in the day.
Wasn’t that Gary Moore?

Edit: I didn’t realise Lynott co wrote and sang. Every day is a schoolday

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Quite mind-boggling that this made it on to TOTP back in the 70's. Sample lyrics:

'Kimosabi friend and brother
He smoke pipe of peace with Tonto
Put his mask on back to fronto
Tonto fall about with laughter
He a head our great white brother
Even pass a tote to Silver
Mask man very untogether'

and...

'Tonto know that Kimosabi
Never ever have a woman
Tonto sometime stop and wonder
What the trip with the great white brother
Maybe masked man he a poofter
Try it on with surly Tonto
Let me say to mister lawman
Tonto doesn't mind'

Utterly utterly wrong on every level :ohmy: :ohmy:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Quite mind-boggling that this made it on to TOTP back in the 70's. Sample lyrics:

'Kimosabi friend and brother
He smoke pipe of peace with Tonto
Put his mask on back to fronto
Tonto fall about with laughter
He a head our great white brother
Even pass a tote to Silver
Mask man very untogether'

and...

'Tonto know that Kimosabi
Never ever have a woman
Tonto sometime stop and wonder
What the trip with the great white brother