Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celtic FC and Boston Celtics (NBA)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Does anyone know why "Celtic" is pronounced as "seltic" as opposed to the pronounciation of the Celtic tribe, "keltic"?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Cos the way we say celtic has changed. Used to be pronouned seltic fior all usages but the harder Keltic pronounciation started to be used in the 20th century when refering to the culture or ancient tribe. The sporting teams have just kept the old pronunciation.

beardosh

Insert witty comment here
Dec 14, 2009
Cos the way we say celtic has changed. Used to be pronouned seltic fior all usages but the harder Keltic pronounciation started to be used in the 20th century when refering to the culture or ancient tribe. The sporting teams have just kept the old pronunciation.

Now that's knowledge! :clap2: :clap2:

Scampi, in reference to your location. Would you call your neighbours South HEIGHT-on or South HATE-on?

Always been of the latter and I lived there once.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Now that's knowledge! :clap2: :clap2:

Scampi, in reference to your location. Would you call your neighbours South HEIGHT-on or South HATE-on?

Always been of the latter and I lived there once.

It seems to be Hate-on. I'm not native to these parts so thats not definitive, but the locals all say it that way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here