Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CCTV debate.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Just listening to a report on the radio saying that there is one camera for every 14 of us in the UK.

I often hear people say, "well if you have'nt done anything wrong you've nothing to worry about", what balls! imagine this scenario;

you're out on a date with a woman who is not your wife, whilst leaving the restaurant arm in arm with your mistress someone down the road mugs an old lady, but you dont see the incident and walk off, next week on crimewatch up comes your picture with the "other woman" and Nick Ross is going "this couple were in the area of the attack and police wish to speak to them to see if they can help with the enquiry",whilst your missus looks on
with interest.

I am not saying that cheating is not morally wrong, but it is not a crime, you would be forced to reveal your affair because you were caught on camera when going about your private life.

It all leads to a climate of suspicion where we are all basically guilty before we have done anything wrong, and frankly it worries me.

anyway, thats it!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.

Im not holier than thou but I do agree with that statement.

As for the above example. Its simple. Dont do it or dont get caught.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Erm but if you're cheating on your wife you are guilty of something.

So basically if you're doing something wrong you might get found out.

it's not the most convincing of anti-CCTV arguments

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
tommy boy said:
i live in the most spied on city in the most spied on country

apparently

Yes, yes you do. Nice curtains by the way :wave:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
keaton said:

Exactly..I would have CCTV everywhere if it rids society of the dregs that bully, steal and intimidate law abiding citizens.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
Just listening to a report on the radio saying that there is one camera for every 14 of us in the UK.

I often hear people say, "well if you have'nt done anything wrong you've nothing to worry about", what balls! imagine this scenario;

you're out on a date with a woman who is not your wife, whilst leaving the restaurant arm in arm with your mistress someone down the road mugs an old lady, but you dont see the incident and walk off, next week on crimewatch up comes your picture with the "other woman" and Nick Ross is going "this couple were in the area of the attack and police wish to speak to them to see if they can help with the enquiry",whilst your missus looks on
with interest.

I am not saying that cheating is not morally wrong, but it is not a crime, you would be forced to reveal your affair because you were caught on camera when going about your private life.

It all leads to a climate of suspicion where we are all basically guilty before we have done anything wrong, and frankly it worries me.

anyway, thats it!

On the other hand if it was your granny that got mugged, would you give a shit if the only witness was secretly having it away with some office skirt? Or would you just go "nah, don't worry about giving a statement mate, your desperate efforts to pep up your sex life are far more important".

People's affairs come out in all sorts of ways, I doubt a few CCTV cameras will make much difference.

Incidentally, half the CCTV cameras in this world are completely pointless anyway. If you think it's like on The Bill, where all CCTV cameras record in colour, real time, and with Dolby surround sound, then you've got another think coming.

Most of them are black and white, appallingly grainy, with no sound, and recorded in time lapse, so as soon as you see a vague image of a person, they're gone. And they depend on the camera just happening to be facing the right way at the time something happens.

But don't let that convince you to turn to crime, folks :lolol:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Your example is missing out one step though. Before it is on TV the police would have made an appeal for information. At that point you and your "lady friend" could have gone forward and said yes we were there, but did not see anything. Letting the police know the situation and thus avoiding an unwelcome appearance on TV.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can't remember there being any CCTV in Taipei when I lived there and yet I felt much safer walking the streets there late at night that I ever do in the UK.

CCTV was meant to not only reduce crime but reduce the fear of crime. The fear of crime will never be reduced all the time that the Mail and Express are allowed to print papers. The actual reduction of crime is hotly disputed - just a quick google produced reports with conflicting opinions. I also don't know if the quality has got any better in the last 4 years but when I used to watch Crimewatch the average picture of the crim was always a badly pixellated black and white image of someone in a hood who could have been Frank Bruno or could have been Jimmy Kranky.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
keaton said:

Not the point at all, I was saying that cheating on the wife is wrong, but it is NOT acrime, CCTV is not meant to be used as a morality checker, it is there to prevent crime, what if you were gay, but in the closet and you were broadcast across the country going into the Bulldog?, do you follow?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
rospants said:
are we going to see you on then next crimewatch then BH?

I always go out wearing full veil and Burkhah, so I am OK.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

with interest.

anyway, thats it!

when you go to court to discuss your divorce as a result of this, i think you'll find cheating becomes a crime which you'll pay for ??? i'm all for cctv, i don't have a thing to hide and the ptotection it can offer me and my family far outweighs any invasion of perceived privacy....

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Re: Re: CCTV debate.

tedebear said:
when you go to court to discuss your divorce as a result of this, i think you'll find cheating becomes a crime which you'll pay for ??? i'm all for cctv, i don't have a thing to hide and the ptotection it can offer me and my family far outweighs any invasion of perceived privacy....

Bear with me on this TB, I dont dispute that there is a perception that CCTV in some way is there to "protect us" yet we hear with depressing regularity that the operators, including police have used it to spy on women, sometimes in their own homes, with complete impunity, the whole thing stokes suspicion and promotes covert prying.

What if in the future there is a less benevolent goverment (which looks increasingly likely) who use this covert surveillance against us? perhaps I am paranoid but I don't like being spied on.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Re: Re: Re: CCTV debate.

Bear with me on this TB, I dont dispute that there is a perception that CCTV in some way is there to "protect us" yet we hear with depressing regularity that the operators, including police have used it to spy on women, sometimes in their own homes, with complete impunity, the whole thing stokes suspicion and promotes covert prying.

What if in the future there is a less benevolent goverment (which looks increasingly likely) who use this covert surveillance against us? perhaps I am paranoid but I don't like being spied on.

Ahhh right - I can see where you're coming from now! I guess its all to do with being cynical about its uses then...I guess I'm being a little naive to assume that its all used for "proper" means!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Perry Milkins said:
Exactly..I would have CCTV everywhere if it rids society of the dregs that bully, steal and intimidate law abiding citizens.

but does it? Can't say that I have seen improved society since we replaced cops with cameras.

Think on Perry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here