Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carling Cup - Serious effort or token?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What is the club/mangers point of view on the Carling Cup game? Is it a full on let's go for it, or will Gus be fielding the development team? Only fair that the fans know in advance so they can decide whether they are going to bother either.

Doh, meant to put this in ATC, could a Mod please move it? Thanks.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Taking it more seriously than last season. I think we'll see Bergkamp, probably Hoskins if fit, JFC, Toby, Navarro, Taricco maybe? Hopefully keep Ankergren in goal, surely consistency in that position is better than chopping/changing.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Gus has said that this season he will be taking the cup competitions seriously.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Gus says he is taking it seriously and I believe him. However given the overhaul of the squad even if there are significant changes it means we get a chance to look at development players such as Jake Forster-Caskey, Steve Cook, Toby Adgestein who I would be interested in seeing play, not too mention an early peek at Will Hoskins. This year these games will not be littered with the likes of battipiedi and baz, but will feature fringe players with geniune aspirations of first team action, could be very exciting.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Buckley 'almost guaranteed to start' also

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
We have to take it a bit more seriously this year but won't expect exactly the same team.

BTW hello all again.. away in Blighty for two weeks with hardly any internet connection and absolutely no chance of gettign to Brighton. Feel like I missed the most important day of my life :( but pleased for everyone else :))

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
All a matter of degree isn't it?

Yes, Gus will take it "seriously", I don't imagine he can ever be flippant about any form of competition in his life. I bet he gives it his all if his kids say "race you to the car dad". BUT, it's not going to be anywhere near our strongest side. We'll see the likes of Brezovan, Cook, Vincelot, Caskey, Navarro, and Bergkamp come into the side.

As managers put it when they "weaken" teams as part of "rotation" it will still be "a team that should be strong enough to win the game."

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Squad rotation is key, gives others a chance and valuable time on the pitch. We have depth across most places in the squad so can still field a very strong team, not take the risk of a banana skin. Hopefully get back to keeping regular clean sheets at the back and bang in a few goals to help build confidence early in the season.

Would be good for us to show the Gills how to play footie with a commanding win at our new home. Is that prat Scally still involved? If so rub his nose in it after he ripped us off. Lay the Priestfield ghost to rest.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Would like to see Vincelot, and Hoskins if fit, and Buckley starting, though not so keen on Brezovan given how he's performed in every game I've seen him in recently.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I think either Agdestein or Bergkamp will at least be in the squad, expect Hoskins (if fit) and Barnes to starts.

I do think we'll see a near-first team starting though. Maybe the likes of Vincelot and Smith getting involved.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Serious effort this time, Gus probably sees cup runs as a means of generating revenue as quite clearly consolidation and not promotion is the priority.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
At this stage of the season, with the new faces, surely it better to give them all another game to learn more about each other and develop their understandings. I know it risks injuries but after one competative game the players can hardly be tired.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't think it matters who the players are, it's their attitude that must be right to secure a victory... and I hardly think they'll make an announcement regarding the players' attitudes. Just get down there and enjoy it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here