Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cards on table - SC to stay

Albion Rob

This is it, face value, shit or bust time, well I'm prepared to fall on my sword - I reckon SC will stay.

Here's why:

He has had no trouble walking away from clubs in the past. Brentford, walked out to nothing. Man City, left after a week or whatever. If Reading is where his future lies then he'd have gone by now, he would just walk because at the end of the day what difference would it make to him. 7,000 people call him a wanker, but another 7,000 people worship him. So what.

The biggest thing for me is that he must have his doubts otherwise it would be cut and dried by now and those doubts will have grown today after a strong performance by us and Reading's failure to beat a side (at home) that will be in the relegation shake-up by the end of the season. He will be thinking it through tonight over a brandy and I reckon he'll chance his arm here. If DK has any sense, which he has, he will be negotiating with him now and putting his mind at rest.

He was right to listen to the offer, and DK was right to let him, but at the end of the day I think he will decide to stay and win a title with us, not face the hassle of turning last season's lucky outfit into anything other than a mid-table team.

Football is all about the glory and football management is very short term. Why pass up a shot at a title (something SC has never won) to manage a club with a shiny stadium?

He needs the assurances and DK will give them.

See ya Saturday Steve.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
he'll go.........

but what a send off!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No way he'll stay but if he'd been the manager at the start of last season where would we be ? I think we all know the answer to that, but, how good an oppotunity would Reading have been under those circumstances ?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
what a load of old tosh Dan.

Coppells still here, because he rejected Reading's first offer and they will put the improved offer to him over the weekend which he will accept. Coppell's just playing a little hard to get.

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
dwayne said:

Coppells still here, because he rejected Reading's first offer and they will put the improved offer to him over the weekend which he will accept. Coppell's just playing a little hard to get.

Totally agree.

They'll be back Monday with an offer stevie can't refuse :(

Last edited:

He'll go, although by staying he can achieve some glory and next year (in Div1) expectations will not be too high. If he goes tto Redaing and the scam the play-offs to get in to Prem they will struggle all season and he will probably be out of a job as Madjeski will not throw cash at their team.

I think Albion Rob may well prove to be correct. If Steve Coppell had really wanted the Reading job he would have taken it 2 or 3 days ago and been in for our game today (for which we were managerless and caretaker-managerless - thank god for the kit man).

Brighton going top and Reading drifting to mid-table could well tip the balance, if he is still in two minds...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Dennis

What is the view of the Reading faithful, do they want Stevie or do they just want someone in to prevent the drift that you are currently going through? If you want to make an impact in the Prem then your best chance is with a bigger 'Name' although given Majedski's reputation for being tight ( Pardew having to take a pay cut etc. ) that may prove difficult

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
dwayne said:

What did Dan say?

Rob, I think you made some good points.

Yesterday I thought it was 70/30 SC would go.

Now I think it's 55/45.

Steve Coppell, do you really want to leave a side that is top of the league?

Remember there is glory in winning something at the end of the season!!

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
It used to be true that Reading's favourite chant was 'Boo!'

They've got no heart or real hardcore, but they do have a chairman with a big wallet.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I thought before the game that he would stay. We have won, we are top of the league, Falmer decision is so close now.

I still think he will stay.

Come the end of the season and the Falmer decision and poss promotion then that may be a different issue as his contract comes to an end.

Steve it's only for another 8 months here anyway. Stick around and see it through.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I think it is 50/50 it shows what we mean to him if his latest interview say he is torn!! It is just a shame the decision for Falmer was delayed.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
crystal ball says "coppell stays cos he likes the players and is enjoying the job which is important for a bloke like him":angel: :angel:

El Presidente said:
Dennis

What is the view of the Reading faithful, do they want Stevie or do they just want someone in to prevent the drift that you are currently going through? If you want to make an impact in the Prem then your best chance is with a bigger 'Name' although given Majedski's reputation for being tight ( Pardew having to take a pay cut etc. ) that may prove difficult

Most Reading fans I know are happy-ish with Coppell (if...) but were really hoping for a "name" like George Graham, Bryan Robson or (God help us) Tony Adams. 6 matches ago 90% of us were all for Kevin Dillon getting the job permanently. Now I am probably in a minority of 10% who still want him to get it.

As you say, Madejski IS tight, and rightly so. He insists the club pays its own way and isn't reliant on his continued goodwill (or continued existence) for its survival, and he doesn't dole out Jack Heyward-style fistfuls of cash. Whoever comes in will have to stick within the existing budget and work with the current staff. That has probably put off the big-time charlies.

You're right about the drift. We all want it over now, one way or the other. We had the chief scout and the goalkeeping coach jointly in charge today, and tactically things are just a mess.:nono:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
To be blunt Whitley i couldn't give a f*** about reading, you, in ht elast month have been shown to be a club that isn't being run correctly i reckon, Money man buying the wron type of playrers to challenge when really you should be a ble to buy your way to the top of that league.

I hope your season fucks it sloef and you go down.

Sirry,

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
After the reception we gave Coppell today he'd be f***ing stupid too leave us! He know's we are good enough to win this league, and so do all of us :clap2: :clap2: and so do all of us! And now your gonna believe us and now your gonna believe us, and now your gonna believe us! Were gonna win the league! :clap2: :clap2:

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
To be blunt Whitley i couldn't give a f*** about reading, you, in ht elast month have been shown to be a club that isn't being run correctly i reckon, Money man buying the wron type of playrers to challenge when really you should be a ble to buy your way to the top of that league.

I hope your season fucks it sloef and you go down.

Sirry,

Come back when you've sobered up and try again.:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here