Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff Stewards

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
When Cardiff moved to the new stadium, it was made crystal clear to everyone that the whole culture at the club was going to change. We were told that persistent standing in the Ninian Stand would not be tolerated under any circumstances, but the stewards would be far more lenient in the Canton Stand (behind the goal at the far end from the away section).

Despite the warnings, a significant number of fans bought season tickets in blocks 117 and 118 of the Ninian Stand in the belief that they would be allowed to stand up all game and engage in 'banter' with the away fans (for want of a better description).

As things settled down during the first season at the CCS, the club was fairly lenient with those who were standing in the relevant blocks. However, they received plenty of complaints from those with tickets there who wanted to sit. During the second season, the club began to clamp down on standing in those blocks, and before this season began letters from the Chief Executive were sent out to the season ticket holders warning that bans would be implemented if individuals were found to be persistently standing.

The way the system works is that the fans concerned are asked by the stewards to sit in the first instance. If that approach fails, their stadium cards are turned off for the next game and they are warned that any repetition will result in further bans.

In my experience, the club handles this situation pretty well. The 'offenders' are invited down to the club for a chat with the stadium manager and offered the chance to relocate to the Canton Stand, were persistent standing is tolerated (just about everyone stands up all game in the three central blocks). If they decline the offer and continue to stand, they get their match cards switched off again, in some cases for another two or three games.

This may seem a bit Draconian, but those who persistently stand in the areas of the Ninian Stand next to the away fans can be a serious pain in the arse for those who want to sit (which is the majority). In fact, the club gets more complaints about fans standing in those blocks than any other stadium-related issue.

Some believe these measures are detrimental to the atmosphere in the new stadium, but there have been a number of games where the atmosphere has been incredible and has topped anything I ever experienced at Ninian.

All sounds fair enough to me. Sounds like the game had more to do with the lack of atmosphere than the new stadium. Was just interested in the changes really and I think it is great credit to CCFC that their reputation with away fans has changed so much. Hopefully next year we will play you on the weekend as I will certainly be making a weekend of it if that is the case. Assuming we are in the same league of course.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
The stewards were very good.....amazing the difference it makes when they smile and greet you. Automatically makes you feel welcome and takes away any feelings of hostility you may have, straight away.

They made a point of informing anyone having their last ciggie before entering the stadium, that the gates would be opened at half time to pursue their 'habit'......and that 'smokers' would be told when the players come out for the 2nd half.

Also told supporters as they came into the stadium, that it was a 'sit anywhere you like' policy.......and not once were we told to sit down.

Top drawer...!

Totaly agree, the stewards at pompey were also great , the jobsworths employed by us need to be sent to other grounds for training days.At the gills game i saw 1 steward turning away a disabled supporter with the guy pushing his wheelchair, though they both clearly had tickets.i am still kicking myself for not intervening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here