Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff Stewards

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I'd be interested to know if you guys are always that quiet? You used to be proper rowdy at Ninian, and away from home make a right racket, so why so quiet at the new stadium? Are the singers dispersed around the stadium so you have no proper singing section or is there another reason?

There have been occasions at the new stadium where the atmosphere has been better than it ever was at Ninian. It just depends on the game and how the team is playing. Apart from a fifteen minute spell during the first half, last night's performance from City was woeful. It's difficult to get enthusiastic when your team are playing so poorly.

Great to read all the positive comments about the way things are at Cardiff these days. The club, the authorities and the supporters' groups have made huge efforts in recent years to improve things and it's certainly been working.

SeanCCFC

Aug 18, 2011
No prizes for guessing which message board you frequent most regularly.....

Guess again.

But you are correct about the atmosphere being good in certain games, but thats like 4-6 games a season and thats just not good enouogh. Its poor most of the time, but i guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
But you are correct about the atmosphere being good in certain games, but thats like 4-6 games a season and thats just not good enouogh. Its poor most of the time, but i guess we will have to agree to disagree.

It was relatively poor most of the time at Ninian too. Those who claim otherwise must have very selective memories. You're right, we'll have to agree to disagree, and try not to bore the good folk of Brighton in the process. :lolol:

SeanCCFC

Aug 18, 2011
It was relatively poor most of the time at Ninian too. Those who claim otherwise must have very selective memories. You're right, we'll have to agree to disagree, and try not to bore the good folk of Brighton in the process. :lolol:

True, but Ninian was an intimidating place. Right we will leave it there now then, over to you Brighton :lolol:

albionite

May 20, 2009
I remember my last visit to Ninian park and thought the Cardiff bunch created a good atmosphere and quite itimidating with them being quite close to us away fans. I remember the Zulu song being sung in almost all the stands.....but didn't really hear it last night.

Thought the stewards were great last night.....treat the customers nice and they will behave nicely (in theory)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The majority of our fans dislike the CCS for atmosphere, the fans next to the away fans are being told to sit down or get banned for a few games, everyone is dispersed, the section where standing is tolerated and normally makes much more noise is the canton stand, which is the opposite end to away fans. I dont think the acoustics are very good in there either, the noise dont travel throughout the stadium very well. Take me back to Ninian Park anyway. Whats the atmosphere like at your ground?

Superb first game, pretty good in the CC game too. The acoustics are excellent too, the sound seems to echo around alot. Although it does seem very hard to hear the away fans as they are right at the far end from where I am.

I did notice a lack of banter with the home fans near us, at most grounds we would be subject to barage of homophobic chants, strangely I miss that when it does not happen. The banning of people near the away fans seems a bit extreme, it would seem that your club have gone a bit too far in the family club direction for some.

Aug 16, 2011

I'd agree with these sentiments. We tend to look back at old stadiums all misty eyed but the truth is that Ninian Park was superb from time to time just like the CCS. The problem with the CCS is that the main singers are in the opposite end to the away fans, by you guys you had a half empty family stand which never generates much excitement. From where I was sitting I could hardly hear the Brighton fans because the acoustics are poor, hence why you could hardly hear us.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Did you get her number?
I was a bit frightened of her if the truth be known. Here is a picture in her stewards outfit:

lindaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_56343t.jpg

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I did notice a lack of banter with the home fans near us, at most grounds we would be subject to barage of homophobic chants, strangely I miss that when it does not happen. The banning of people near the away fans seems a bit extreme, it would seem that your club have gone a bit too far in the family club direction for some.

When Cardiff moved to the new stadium, it was made crystal clear to everyone that the whole culture at the club was going to change. We were told that persistent standing in the Ninian Stand would not be tolerated under any circumstances, but the stewards would be far more lenient in the Canton Stand (behind the goal at the far end from the away section).

Despite the warnings, a significant number of fans bought season tickets in blocks 117 and 118 of the Ninian Stand in the belief that they would be allowed to stand up all game and engage in 'banter' with the away fans (for want of a better description).

As things settled down during the first season at the CCS, the club was fairly lenient with those who were standing in the relevant blocks. However, they received plenty of complaints from those with tickets there who wanted to sit. During the second season, the club began to clamp down on standing in those blocks, and before this season began letters from the Chief Executive were sent out to the season ticket holders warning that bans would be implemented if individuals were found to be persistently standing.

The way the system works is that the fans concerned are asked by the stewards to sit in the first instance. If that approach fails, their stadium cards are turned off for the next game and they are warned that any repetition will result in further bans.

In my experience, the club handles this situation pretty well. The 'offenders' are invited down to the club for a chat with the stadium manager and offered the chance to relocate to the Canton Stand, were persistent standing is tolerated (just about everyone stands up all game in the three central blocks). If they decline the offer and continue to stand, they get their match cards switched off again, in some cases for another two or three games.

This may seem a bit Draconian, but those who persistently stand in the areas of the Ninian Stand next to the away fans can be a serious pain in the arse for those who want to sit (which is the majority). In fact, the club gets more complaints about fans standing in those blocks than any other stadium-related issue.

Some believe these measures are detrimental to the atmosphere in the new stadium, but there have been a number of games where the atmosphere has been incredible and has topped anything I ever experienced at Ninian.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
When Cardiff moved to the new stadium, it was made crystal clear to everyone that the whole culture at the club was going to change. We were told that persistent standing in the Ninian Stand would not be tolerated under any circumstances, but the stewards would be far more lenient in the Canton Stand (behind the goal at the far end from the away section).

Despite the warnings, a significant number of fans bought season tickets in blocks 117 and 118 of the Ninian Stand in the belief that they would be allowed to stand up all game and engage in 'banter' with the away fans (for want of a better description).

As things settled down during the first season at the CCS, the club was fairly lenient with those who were standing in the relevant blocks. However, they received plenty of complaints from those with tickets there who wanted to sit. During the second season, the club began to clamp down on standing in those blocks, and before this season began letters from the Chief Executive were sent out to the season ticket holders warning that bans would be implemented if individuals were found to be persistently standing.

The way the system works is that the fans concerned are asked by the stewards to sit in the first instance. If that approach fails, their stadium cards are turned off for the next game and they are warned that any repetition will result in further bans.

In my experience, the club handles this situation pretty well. The 'offenders' are invited down to the club for a chat with the stadium manager and offered the chance to relocate to the Canton Stand, were persistent standing is tolerated (just about everyone stands up all game in the three central blocks). If they decline the offer and continue to stand, they get their match cards switched off again, in some cases for another two or three games.

This may seem a bit Draconian, but those who persistently stand in the areas of the Ninian Stand next to the away fans can be a serious pain in the arse for those who want to sit (which is the majority). In fact, the club gets more complaints about fans standing in those blocks than any other stadium-related issue.

Some believe these measures are detrimental to the atmosphere in the new stadium, but there have been a number of games where the atmosphere has been incredible and has topped anything I ever experienced at Ninian.

I think Cardiff have done a great job in changing the atmosphere from that of intimidation to a more family orientated club, but I was shocked as to how much the atmosphere had changed. It was like chalk and cheese to Ninian. Although much of that could have been down to what was happening on the pitch last night I guess.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
True, but Ninian was an intimidating place. Right we will leave it there now then, over to you Brighton :lolol:

Are the half time draw ticket numbers published on the web anywhere? I bought three tickets, but the tannoy was so pox I couldn't make out the results...Cheers

And the stewards were brilliant!

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
Last night I did something I have never done at a football ground before, at the end of the game I made a point of going to a steward and telling him what a superb job they had done.

Credit where credit is due and all that...

If someone from the Albion is watching this perhaps they would like to feedback our comments, after all people are quick enough to criticise stewards when they are a bit heavy handed.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Are the half time draw ticket numbers published on the web anywhere? I bought three tickets, but the tannoy was so pox I couldn't make out the results...Cheers

And the stewards were brilliant!
Yes their official site has the numbers....I had to check my tickets on there as well :)

masterseagull

Jan 4, 2010
A day or two before the Donny game I took my wife to see the ground. I asked the receptionist if we could go inside, show her the stadium, see my seat etc. She said 'just ask any steward and I'm sure they'll let you in. They're very obliging.'
I went up to the steward near my entrance and explained. He replied, 'sorry mate, no can do!'
He went back to just standing there doing nowt!
Unbelievable!

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Have to say a massive improvement to the last game I went to at Ninian Park over 10 years ago. To be honest it put me off going to any Cardiff games even though I lived in Torfaen for a couple of years and could have gone plenty of times.

Stewards were top drawer, I was waiting with someone else's ticket and started chatting to a few of them and they were the typical friendly Welshies I was used to speaking to when I lived there. No trouble apart from one Albion fan who I saw arrested and that is a big improvement.

As to the atmosphere, when Cardiff were playing well in the first half there were some choruses going up that could give a good of the potential atmosphere but to be honest, and the local South Wales Echo and CCFC fan sites agrees, Cardiff were poor for a lot of the game and we were awesome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here