Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff doing the 'lucky red scarf' thing to try and beat us next Tuesday

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's all a bit 'FA cup 1984'-ish.

The cold-snap seems intent on snapping further every week, so next Tuesday night as we host Brighton, we will be giving every Cardiff City supporter a FREE high quality scarf as a means to keep warm, the club saying a big thank you for your support this season.
Each scarf will be handed out on arrival at the stadium - for this game only - and will become your special entry pass into our 2013/14 season ticket competition for the rest of the campaign.

During every home game from Tuesday until the final fixture we will be keeping our cameras tracked on supporters wearing or waving their 'City scarf. Photos will be taken in the concourses, stands, hospitality areas and more, forming a part of our post match FACEBOOK galleries.

After each game we will publish the photo of each lucky winner - and if it's YOU, we will refund your season ticket for the season ahead. Check our Facebook page, giving us a LIKE while you're there to make sure you get notified as soon as the galleries go live, including the winning photo!

Good luck one and all. We hope you enjoy your free gift and make sure to bring it to every game as we push for glory!!

(Either that or it's another cynical ploy by their owners in trying to get blue stuff away from the club)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It's all a bit 'FA cup 1984'-ish.

(Either that or it's another cynical ploy by their owners in trying to get blue stuff away from the club)

I would agree more with your second comment.

Clearly a clever marketing ploy.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Seems like they were right all along with blue being unlucky. It's worked for them, anyway.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Cardiff fans should all take blue scarves to the game and wave them about non stop throughout the game

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
One way of reinforcing the clubs new nickname as they try to erase "Bluebirds" from the electronic history books.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Seems like they were right all along with blue being unlucky. It's worked for them, anyway.
Red is the most successful colour in sport....according to a sign in the home changing room of the millenium stadium.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I would find it hard to continue to support them if I was a 'bluebird', told you can either change your badge and shirt colour and nickname or we'll leave and you fall into administration.

I'd lump it and support my next local club given that choice :(

I know we've seen a change of nick name and more recently a badge but they've always been based on our history or organic.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
During every home game from Tuesday until the final fixture we will be keeping our cameras tracked on supporters wearing or waving their 'City scarf. Photos will be taken in the concourses, stands, hospitality areas and more, forming a part of our post match STASI galleries.

It's getting more like North Korea over here every day. It's bad enough going to the Amex and taking your chance in the 'have your face plastered all over the internet' lottery that is the Fans Gallery. I'm glad I quit the SAS or I'd have to wear a government issue balaclava to all home games.

:thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
it's another cynical ploy by their owners in trying to get blue stuff away from the club
Indeed it is. Fans should publish the fact that they're going to twat anyone they see wearing the scalf.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hopefully it'll be like Peterboro's "cup final" against us 2 seasons back.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham should all be in the Welsh league as far as I'm concerned.

Couldn't disagree more. The prospect of Cardiff v Swansea Premiership derbies is one to get excited about in an otherwise dull league stocked with insipid teams like Everton, Wigan, Sunderland, Fulham, Stoke, West Brom etc. I mean really, does anyone honestly give a shit about those teams? At least with the Welsh teams we get a bit of 'continental flair' to spice up our otherwise drab footballing days.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Couldn't disagree more. The prospect of Cardiff v Swansea Premiership derbies is one to get excited about in an otherwise dull league stocked with insipid teams like Everton, Wigan, Sunderland, Fulham, Stoke, West Brom etc. I mean really, does anyone honestly give a shit about those teams? At least with the Welsh teams we get a bit of 'continental flair' to spice up our otherwise drab footballing days.
If nothing else, you get better quality singing from the taffies......good luck to them.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If nothing else, you get better quality singing from the taffies......good luck to them.

if and when Diff get to the premier the fights with the Swans will be something awful

and they have to give the scarves away as the fans certainly would not buy them

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I read stuff on that, quite interesting.
But, what about just international football? Or is too much of a small sample set?

From a statistics point of view... its called a bias sample.

Because of the existing connection between Red and Good Luck in many cultures (esp. Far East), there are more clubs choosing Red than any other colour, hence a higher likelihood that a team in Red will win whatever sporting trophy you select. Then, do you only count successes while wearing red? What about away games? What about teams who wear another colour but wear red away? What about years with "odd" strips?

Cardiff are a good example. Team nearly on the brink of success catch the eye of an superstitious invester. Investor insists on changing the club colours to be "lucky" [or at least sell shirts back home because wearing red is seen as lucky]. Club becomes "successful". Therefore change to red brought luck and success? B*ll*cks! Had someone without the superstition put up an exact same quantity of money/support/people and created exactly the same conditions then the club would be languishing mid table because they still wore blue??

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given their very strong position in the league I imagine that most Cardiff fans aren't too distraught about playing in red.

Our all blue kit was soon accepted when we dumped the stripes after our arrival at the top level as far as I can remember.

Maybe if we'd played in red we'd have turned those draws into wins and be top of the table :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not like they'll have to buy 25,000 scarves.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
None of their fans will give a toss what colour they're playing when they eventually get to the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here