Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

car trouble

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I'm having a problem with my W reg Asta, somehow petrol is getting into the oil. Any mechanicaly minded people got an idea of the cause & cost to repair?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
You sure its petrol getting in and not water? Does the oil look like mayonnaise? If it does it sounds like the headgasket has gone.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
You sure its petrol getting in and not water? Does the oil look like mayonnaise? If it does it sounds like the headgasket has gone.

Definitly petrol you can smell it on the dipstick

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I noticed the oil on the dipstick looked particularly runny and realised that as it wasnt water( hadn't gone creamy ) the only other thing it could be was petrol. Hence the sniffing.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
What other symptoms do you have? Engine oil usually has a kind of petrol/engine whiff to it anyway. Just because oil is runny and not Mayo (yet) doesnt mean it's not head gasket failure.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
It sounds like the fuel pump is leaking petrol into the engine, as long as the fuel pump is mechanically driven, on the side of the engine block or cylinder head. Replace the pump if so, and change the oil (and filter while you're at it), as it has been thinned out with the addition of the petrol....

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
What other symptoms do you have? Engine oil usually has a kind of petrol/engine whiff to it anyway. Just because oil is runny and not Mayo (yet) doesnt mean it's not head gasket failure.

not just a petrol whiff to it, it stinks of petrol.

xbakerbob

Aug 4, 2011
Basingstoke
what engine is it? as the only petrol vauxhall with the fuel pump on the side of the head is a 2.2, other than that, there all 'in tank pumps' its very unlikely for fuel to be able to get into the oil, even if a piston ring was knackered its still highly unlikely it would let enough fuel into the oil for it to change that much, i work for a main dealer vauxhall garage :) so fire any questions my way

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
It's a W, but don't know if it's the prefix or suffix W. If it's the former it makes it a 1999, and the latter would be a 1980, meaning it would have a mechanical pump, shirley?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Which end if the reg is the w?

If it's xxx 123w it's 1980

If it's wxxx 123 it's 1999

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here