Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car radiator

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Excuse my ignorance, need a bit if help.
If your car radiator needs topping up with coolant, can you use any generic coolant or a specific one for your car? Will water do?
Thanks for any help

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Depends on the car. probably best to check the owners manual. You might want to think about why it needs topping up though; is there a leak somewhere?

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
not that low, just paranoid and want to top it up to be safe till i get it to a garage tomorrow in HHeath

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Very rarely, some vehicles need red coolant rather than blue, but it will show it on a sticker on the expansion tank lid.

Other than that, any will do.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Mix coolant types and it can be expensive. Some combinations turn to a jelly like sludge. Do not just put any old coolant in your cooling system.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
In 25 years of owning and servicing my own cars and topping up with regular 'Halfords' blue i've never ever had a problem..

That said, it does appear that you need to be careful with what you use, as there are incompatibility issues with some engine parts and corrosion..so check your owners manual..

What a f***ing faff, honestly..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you shouldnt mix coolants (not sure why, do they seperate?), so if you dont know whats in there, just add water. replace after a few top-ups mind.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I bought a coolant from Halfords a couple of years that said it was specifically designed to be used for topping up, it was red but said you could mix it with any other. It was fine but I think it is only supposed to be a temporary measure until your next service.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, I tip anything in mine, just depends on whatever's cheapest - I think there's half a bottle of cooking sherry in there at the moment. I'd just assumed all that "don't mix" stuff on the bottles was because they only wanted you to use their brand. And yes, I should find out why it needs constantly topping up.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Blimey, I tip anything in mine, just depends on whatever's cheapest - I think there's half a bottle of cooking sherry in there at the moment. I'd just assumed all that "don't mix" stuff on the bottles was because they only wanted you to use their brand. And yes, I should find out why it needs constantly topping up.

Apparently if you pour in a can of Stella it makes your car more aggresive and you're likely to smash into other cars for no reason.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
If you are only topping up to get you to a garage then water will do, shirley? If the problem is ultimately traced to a part of the cooling system that needs replacing then the whople system will need to be drained anyway, then refilled with new coolant/water once repaired.

nelshaun

Jun 8, 2011
car radiator

It actually depends on the car. I agree that some vehicles need red coolant while other are blue. Nevertheless, if you really want a car radiator or radiator parts, I suggest you visit racepages site.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
In 30 years i have only ever put tap water in mine.
The garage can do the checks for the antifreeze and adjust mixture ratio when servicing it.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
The difference between blue and red coolants are their 'enviromental' hazard status - red is the new blue (and greener..)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The difference between blue and red coolants are their 'enviromental' hazard status - red is the new blue (and greener..)

They are also incompatible as I mentioned in a previous post-do not mix them. Being in the trade I've seen many expensive bills as a result of mixing coolants.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
I noticed the level of my coolant had gone down a little a couple of months back, as it was due a service a few weeks later I thought I would leave it.

Bad move!

The car died on me!

The leakage meant I needed a new radiator and a new gearbox, because apparently it cooled this as well (auto gearbox). The car was 1 month out of warranty and was quoted 3k By Steeles of Worthing, eventually after several phone calls to Vauxhall managed to get the works carried out under warranty.

Seems there was a know fault with certain Astra's and Steeles hadn't checked the radiator on the previous service despite instruction from Vauxhall. Could of saved alot of hassle if they had!

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
There was me thinking it was straightforward.
thanks for all you valuable advice. Ill top up with water or red pending a my service

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here