Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car question

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My car died on New Years Eve. Shit finish to a shit year.

Garages say engine is a write-off due to mechanical problems. One place hazarded a guess at £2500+ repairs, another said not to bother.

I paid £4200 for the car a year ago.

Is there any chance of getting anything out of insurance for this? I know they'll pay you something if the car is a write-off in an accident, but I'm guessing that's not the same if the engine just dies. Just hoping against hope.

Feeling sick as a dog so any help/advice welcome, ta.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
if only no the isurance wont pay out

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
You cannot claim on your insurance for this!

What car is it? What exactly has gone wrong?

A recon engine sounds like the only option..

Did you notice anything wrong in the last few days/weeks that a problem was arising?

There are plenty of good fitters around and I know of a good garage that may be able to help!

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
No, I had a similar problem with my car - a friend drove the car, cracked the sump and drove on - needed a new engine. There are specific rules on continuning to use the vehicle after an 'accident' so they would just reject any claim.

In addition to this, claiming on insurance will hit you for the next five years as you will have to declare the claim - which can cost an additional £1000+ over the five years AND they would likely write off the car anyway, and they wouldn't give you much for it!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Buy another car and drive into your other one at huge speed then you can claim for both, get 2 courtesy cars, a personal whiplash claim, 6 weeks pay off work & a month in Lanzarote to recouperate

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Thanks for all the advice guys.

You've confirmed what I pretty much already knew, but it's good to know for sure.

Scarp value is probably the only answer. And yup Vegas Seagull, if it still moved I would stage an accident, but sadly not even that's possible now.

(And thanks for the offer Muzzy, but I'm in Dubai so I don't think your tip would work for me!)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Update: I've found a garage that will fit a secondhand engine for around £1700.

Has anyone any experience or advice on this – is it too risky, or would you go for it?

My dilemma is whether this is better than buying another car (£4000 ish) or renting for a year (£4800ish).

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Other than the engine issue, is the car in good condition etc.? What car is it?

I *may* be better to fix but it could end up being a moneypit. It will still be worth some money (for spares) so don't just give it to the garage unless they offer some decent money for it.

Have the garage actually said what the problem is?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
What car is it?

You gotta ask yourself is the rest of the vehicle worth it, I mean is it in good nick with decent tyres, good brakes, paintwork all round and whatnot. If it is then by all means fit an engine but if you hate the thing and it needs 4 new tyres soon then the money is probably better spent on a new motor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here