Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Capello to be replaced by Schteve?...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Trevor Brooking believes Steve McClaren could be in contention for a second spell as England head coach after rebuilding his reputation on the continent with FC Twente and Wolfsburg. (Press Association Sport)

:lolol: :lolol:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Unfortunately this comes from the man responsible for re-vitalising the coaching of the game in England. You have to say that after what, 10 years in post, he has completely failed. In that sense hardly surprising he's come out with this risible rubbish. It's time for him to step down and keep quiet.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You can't polish a turd, it doesn't matter who is in charge of those losers, we won't improve.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It makes an element of sense. Brooking's already said something along the lines of the next few years will be 'barren' for England until we can sort out our grass-roots problems. We all know that warning will fall on a lot of deaf ears, so to emphasise the point he wants to make sure we've got a crap manager so that no one's under any delusions about Brazil 2014

Perhaps he should have gone the whole hog and suggested Graham Taylor?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
He's hardly convinced so far at Wolfsburg. It took him four games to finally abandon his one man up front policy when it was blindingly obvious that Wolfsburg's strength is the two man attack - Grafite and Dzeko.

Having said that, a great achievement in winning the Dutch league with a side from outside the big three.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
You can't polish a turd, it doesn't matter who is in charge of those losers, we won't improve.

But you can cover shit in glitter! We gave got good enough players...just need to find the right manager to get the best out of them.

If dodgy 'arry takes charge I will start supporting Germany...don't want that prick anywhere near the England team.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
To be fair to Trevor Brooking, his mission has been hindered somewhat by the reluctance of those above him for change. Look how long they have been against the Burton training centre for example.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unfortunately this comes from the man responsible for re-vitalising the coaching of the game in England. You have to say that after what, 10 years in post, he has completely failed. In that sense hardly surprising he's come out with this risible rubbish. It's time for him to step down and keep quiet.

I think you're being a bit harsh. It is not down to Brooking's lack of will, it is more to do with Brooking's vision being totally unworkable all the while no one single body has any level of control over schoolboy level coaching. He has been hammering the message for change for a decade....shame none of the bodies want, or are able, to implement change. I think you're targeting the wrong person(s) here.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
He deserves respect for what he did in Holland but bit early to start talking about returning isn't it. What if he does nothing in Germany?

If I were him and things were going well abroad and the FA came asking again I'd tell them to stick it personally. Why would you want all that grief. Again!?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It will be interesting to know how this response from Brooking came about. I'm guessing McClaren's name was put to Brooking and he offered a diplomatic response. So far I have only seen one half of the conversation. From the half I have read Brooking is certainly not suggesting he would be under consideration if the job came up now.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
FFS....why is it always the manager?!?!

Its the technical ability that needs to bred into the next generation of up and coming footballers and also working as one with the premiership!

It is all about money and will never happen until things change!

Not in my lifetime anyway!

:mad:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
FFS....why is it always the manager?!?!

Its the technical ability that needs to bred into the next generation of up and coming footballers and also working as one with the premiership!

It is all about money and will never happen until things change!

Not in my lifetime anyway!

:mad:

The FA's technical report from the recent U17, U19 and U21 tournaments makes interesting reading, although nothing earth shattering. England gave up possession more than any other nation, and in all three areas of the pitch. For all their professional coaching, mainly at Prem clubs, they are far less comfortable on the ball than their opponents.

It would appear the next crop are just as shit house as the current idiots.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The FA's technical report from the recent U17, U19 and U21 tournaments makes interesting reading, although nothing earth shattering. England gave up possession more than any other nation, and in all three areas of the pitch. For all their professional coaching, mainly at Prem clubs, they are far less comfortable on the ball than their opponents.

It would appear the next crop are just as shit house as the current idiots.
I wonder how many Prem clubs have got foreign youth coaches? We've already seen at Brighton how better-quality foreign coaching has proved vastly superior in all aspects - most pleasingly with regard to developing younger players (Adam El Abd being a classic example). I wonder if a lot of these clubs have high-profile foreigners in charge of the first team but have left youth development in the hands of the antediluvian British?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder how many Prem clubs have got foreign youth coaches? We've already seen at Brighton how better-quality foreign coaching has proved vastly superior in all aspects - most pleasingly with regard to developing younger players (Adam El Abd being a classic example). I wonder if a lot of these clubs have high-profile foreigners in charge of the first team but have left youth development in the hands of the antediluvian British?

It's a good point. But I wonder what is it the coaches teach youngsters if it is not basic ball skills? I also wonder how much attention Prem clubs really give to the youth set-ups. Most Prem clubs trawl the world for talent....so why nuture the basic ball skills of an Englishman if you can find a schoolboy somewhere in the world with the basic ball skills already? Why bother to spend a few years developing a player when you can find a reasonably polished player of similar age elsewhere? I dont know, and to be honest I dont really care.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I think you're being a bit harsh. It is not down to Brooking's lack of will, it is more to do with Brooking's vision being totally unworkable all the while no one single body has any level of control over schoolboy level coaching. He has been hammering the message for change for a decade....shame none of the bodies want, or are able, to implement change. I think you're targeting the wrong person(s) here.

Perhaps but Brooking, nice man that he is, has been there a long time and as such must shoulder some of the blame as one of the guardians of the national game. I have lost all confidence with the FA who have allowed the Premier League juggernaut to steamroller all before it.

It's imperative English football re-thinks the way youngsters are coached. A good start would be to stop kids having to play on full size picthes until much later. As it is playing on full size pitches generally means that only big, physically developed kids say at 11, 12, 13, 14 years get picked up by clubs. Very often it is their strength, not their ball skills, which seems more significant. We must get beyond this approach if we're going to develop more skillful players in the future. Also if you look at the number of UEFA qualified coaches here compared to the Germans, Dutch, Italians, French and especially the Spanish we are way behind. That too must change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here